Universal Love Matthew Pavlich: 350 Games

Remove this Banner Ad

As we all know, our champion, our legend, Matthew Pavlich plays his 350 game this week against the Swans, 1:20pm WST on Sunday.

Words can't describe just how much Pav has meant to this football club in my opinion. He has been here from the days where we weren't taken seriously as a football club. But over the last 16 years, Matthew Pavlich has put in more than just about anyone else involved in the purple and is a key reason why we are treated seriously today.

He could have been lost to us on many occasions. If a side had taken a chance on a then 16 year old Pavlich in the 1998 draft. If Collingwood hadn't traded away their 3rd pick in the 99 draft. If Richmond hadn't selected Fiora over him. That's before the offers from home came in.

Just about every time he came out of contract, there was the speculation about whether he would go back home, something he nearly did in 2001. The big money that was offered by Port and the Crows, for a South Australian boy would have been tempting, along with the big money being offered by the Suns and the Blues on other occasions.

Just a few of Pav's highlights
  • 6 All Australians, from the backline, to a HFF, to full forward
  • 6 time Doig Medalist
  • 8 time Leading Goal scorer (Including 6 in a row)
  • Ross Glendinning Medallist on three occasions
  • Club Captain from 2007-2015 including the first captain in a Grand Final

In those early years, he was a consistent performer, playing where ever it was deemed by Cuddles to play him, such as his All Australian winning full back year, the 2003 AA selection when he was more of a midfielder. He kept on going from strength to strength, always being consistent, a constant, which is something the side lacked at times. In 2006 he was a key for our finals run, standing up in September, including 4 in that Prelim loss.

After that loss he became our captain and he continued to lead from the front. He came a close 2nd in the Coleman Medal in 2007 and had a strong year in 2008, kicking 67 in all of 19 games. He had his moments of heart break in 2008, hitting the post late in games at times, for goals that would have seen the Dockers take the lead.

As the side continued to improve, Pavlich kept up his performances. The 2nd half of 2012 by Pav was superb. The game where he outscored the Eagles for example. He was in the form of his life and this coincided with our run into the finals, which was halted by a loss to Adelaide.

2013 was frustrating for Pav, as he had injury issues and suspension issues. He was fully fit for finals and he lead the club to uncharted waters, as the side pulled up short by 15 points to the Hawks.

2014 and 2015, while Pavlich wasn't at his best, he still contributed for the side. In 2014 the side went wrong at stages it couldn't on the field and as injuries mounted, the sides bounced out in straight sets, a frustrating end to a year in which there was so much hope, while Pavlich was still averaging 2 goals a game and having some superb performances.

In 2015, his last season as captain, Pavlich had his moments, both good and bad. A stretch of games without a goal could have suggested that the time was nigh, but he clicked and averaged nearly 2 goals a game. As the side progressed towards their first ever minor premiership, it wasn't clear if he was going to hang up the boots, but he kept on going, after the side fell short in the Prelim against the Hawks.

As we have had our fall from grace this year, and had our tough times on the field, it isn't the way it was hoped Pav would bow out, which in an ideal world, would have been with a flag, something he deserves. He even offered to retire early, which shows the sort of person he is towards our football club. He kept on, providing leadership to the younger boys and even had some textbook Pav moments.

As our champion has his 350th game, and bows out soon after as the season finishes, all I can say, is thank you Matthew Pavlich. You are a true champion of this football club. The way you have shown loyalty to a club that has been struggling on many occasions when you could have left, but you stayed on at the Dockers. You are without question the greatest Docker of all time, and I can't see this changing for sometime. All I can say, is thank you. Thanks for everything Pav. Enjoy the finish to your career.

The Crows picked Ken McGregor the year before when Pav was a 17yr old, if he had gone to the Crows they'd have won some flags.

No words can express my gratitude to the Pav, I love him, I will cry, so many moments he has given us, in my eyes he is a 15 time premiership player, 15 time Brownlow medallist, 15 time All Australian captain and I bet he is a great lover as well.

And can I have a dollar for every time we hear "if Pav was in Melbourne he'd get more recognition", he is a far king champion, the BEST player WA has had and possibly the best SA has produced.

I know we are playing against a strong Sydney defence... but any chance of a bag of 7?!?!
Score a milestone 700 goals and round out his average to 2 per game.
He got his 600th goal in the 300th game too. Funny, his first two kicks of that game were goals.. Just like his first two kicks on debut were also goals (2000).

Does anyone also think that the number 29 should be retired, either for a few years after he retires or permanently? I know it's not commonplace in AFL (NBA and Baseball have a host of champion players' number retired), but can't see why not..
Wouldn't want to be the youngster that gets given such a special number, the pressure and pride of wearing the 29 would be quite significant. Also seeing the number being worn by another player would be pretty foreign for fans. Obviously Parker and McManus' numbers were handed down to Mayne and Suban, but this is entirely different.

Get the feeling Pavs milestone might be slightly over looked by eastern state media this week due to Harvey's record breaker, enright breaking Geelongs record & Bartels 300th.

Never the less, what a champ this guy is. So grateful he stayed with Freo all these years. Will always be Freos greatest player. Makes me sad he will never get that premiership as a player. Maybe when he takes over from Ross as coach he will get it :)

For me, Pav is an out and out champion who for long stretches of our history has had to carry us.

The 2012 EF where he kicked 6 including the memorable knockout blow is something that I'll always treasure.

Out scoring the Eagles on his own is another one but for me, the game I truly remember is Round 14, 2004. Playing the Crows in Adelaide we played an abysmal first half to trail by over 40 points. In the second half we got a run on and only lost by a goal. The reason for that.....Matthew Pavlich. Kicked 7 goals in the second half (out of his 8 goals that day) and single handedly nearly led us to one of the greatest wins.

350 games and will always be a champion in my eyes.

**** Harvey that little campaigner.

This week should be all about Pav. No one but bitterest of eagles fans has ever had anything bad to say about Pav from experience. He's one of those universally loved players like Kirk, Bartel, Neitz and Crawford. Legend of the game and deserves to be remembered as one of the fiercest and most professional competitors that has played the modern game. #forever29

His best games anyone? I could name plenty.

His best goal was round 1 2002 against adelaide. Banana freak goal.

The 2012 EF final against Geelong and I think a 2010 H&A game also against Geelong,are the stuff of legend IMO.

I believe the number 29 should be retired and only brought back to life if Pav's son plays for freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 2012 EF final against Geelong and I think a 2010 H&A game also against Geelong,are the stuff of legend IMO.

I believe the number 29 should be retired and only brought back to life if Pav's son plays for freo.

His whole 2013 finals campaign was also awesome. In fact I think his finals record is substantially better than has H&A record in terms of goals scored.

Why wouldn't you save his 350th for the Derby ?

Full house against the slime. Crowd to get us over the line and Pav can go out on a high.

He deserves nothing less.

**** Harvey that little campaigner.

This week should be all about Pav. No one but bitterest of eagles fans has ever had anything bad to say about Pav from experience. He's one of those universally loved players like Kirk, Bartel, Neitz and Crawford. Legend of the game and deserves to be remembered as one of the fiercest and most professional competitors that has played the modern game. #forever29
Well I'm a slime supporter so called by your mob :rolleyes: and I have nothing but the deepest respect for the big Pav. In character miles ahead of Harvey, although I guess you have to admire Harvey for his longevity in the game, however I'm more interested in seeing Pav play his 350th game. Well done Pav, as no other Player from the two local sides have managed this milestone so far. Also a real champion of the game. Has caused us Eagle supporters plenty of grief over the years with his accuracy and marking in front of goal!

Well I'm a slime supporter so called by your mob :rolleyes: and I have nothing but the deepest respect for the big Pav. In character miles ahead of Harvey, although I guess you have to admire Harvey for his longevity in the game, however I'm more interested in seeing Pav play his 350th game. Well done Pav, as no other Player from the two local sides have managed this milestone so far. Also a real champion of the game. Has caused us Eagle supporters plenty of grief over the years with his accuracy and marking in front of goal!

Only a handful of Eagles supporters I know have ever had anything bad to say about him and they're the bitter ones haha. Most of your mob respect him - just dislike how he has played in derbies in the past. Loves a derby, does Pav :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back