MATTHEW PAVLICH: Our drug policy works

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no magic number, it all comes down to your condition of employment. Currently they are volunteering to do it. But it may end up in their next EBA. Don't like it, don't sign it and go be a sales rep.
But it's not a condition of their employment for there to be any penalty for a positive test (outside target testing) or even any outside scrutiny yet there are plenty outside the system agitating for it

But it's not a condition of their employment for there to be any penalty for a positive test (outside target testing) or even any outside scrutiny yet there are plenty outside the system agitating for it

Yep and I don't really know why. I think people would rather not know about it if they're not going to get penalised, so giving hair testing the flick would seem to make sense.

Yep and I don't really know why. I think people would rather not know about it if they're not going to get penalised, so giving hair testing the flick would seem to make sense.

You would think it makes sense that this experiment was run purely to establish if there was a problem, and on the limited information that has been leaked it appears there is.

Now the powers to be can decide what programme is required if any. They could go the same way as Rowing AUstralia, Diving Australia or Surf life saving Australia and have out of season testing for illicit drugs with penalties to apply.

But a fair whack of supporters think the AFL are stand alone in the drug testing demands on players when we have other sports in Australua conducting these tests.

These other sports haven't the financial benefit that AFL has yet their competitors still undertake the testing to be part of something they enjoy.

These other sports appear to have officials in charge that have a great moral compass, but I beleive the AFL and it's clubs do to, this testing appears to have been done to determine if there is a problem.

Now the next step is to implement a solution.

It's a terrible problem for society interesting that the AFL has been touched heavily by the murder of Phil Walsh from the effects of a drug addict, so maybe that kick started this programme!

Might be simplistic but why not use a model similar to other workforces - ie mining, police etc. If you are caught with illegal substance in your body you no longer have a job.
I have certain limitations within my job that I am more than aware of will terminate my employment if I breach them - why not same for footballers. You want to hit the coke? Your call. We test you and you're positive = bye bye.
Did you read the article?
He raises some interesting points.

Might be simplistic but why not use a model similar to other workforces - ie mining, police etc. If you are caught with illegal substance in your body you no longer have a job.
I have certain limitations within my job that I am more than aware of will terminate my employment if I breach them - why not same for footballers. You want to hit the coke? Your call. We test you and you're positive = bye bye.
Not quite
If you are a contractor yes you lose your position on that clients job but you can stay employed with your company and get counselling and work on another project for a different client. As a full time staff person you get counselling and medical help etc and yo get another chance.

I sometimes think that the scrutiny and expectation is over the top. I'm more inclined to side with Pav's sentiments on this. Can we really expect AFL players to exhibit substantially less drug use than the general populace?

Okay if everyone's cool with AFL players using drugs and accepts it as normal behaviour because apparently everyone's doing it and you're a 'zealot' if you don't go with the flow, there shouldn't be a problem with naming the players.

I thought the drugs were illegal?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you read the article?
He raises some interesting points.
Yep did read it. Agree he raises some very interesting (and valid) points.
I tend to be a bit of an old fart though when it comes to some things - i.e. illegal drugs, standards etc.
I don't argue with the 'complaint' that this testing program ('audit'?) was meant to be confidential and that confidentiality was breached - it was ridiculously 'poor' and unfair to Pies (I don't believe I would EVER say that!) - if Robbo was going to be the 'shining light of journalistic integrity (almost was able to type that without laughing) then all other clubs should have been named and shamed not just pies.

The parallel issue that comes up though is that players are hitting the illegal stuff without what seems a 'worry' about being 'caught' - immune almost.
I think that sets a dangerous mindset - "we can do what we want, rules don't apply to us etc". Now I'm not going down the road of 'off season" or 'we were on a break', the overarching issue is if a proportion of players are taking illegal substances then what do we do to stop it happening?

It's ironic at the moment that a player can over indulge in a legal substance (booze), get done for 0.05 and have a greater consequence given to him than if he's been having a sniff of illegal powder.

Mayeb we make it simple - if the drug is illegal and you test positive then you aren't a professional footballer anymore. This message can expand to PEDs etc but that doesn't seem to be getting through either -

it will take a footballer taking drugs getting behind the wheel and killing someone for the afl to get serious

it will take a footballer getting drunk behind the wheel and killing them for the AFL to get serious.

See how silly it sounds?

It's not the AFL's or the club's job to be the police.

Of course, he is going to say it works, the players can ingest massive amounts of substances and get away with it without any repercussions

Rubbish. The AFLPA's approach to the problem is to treat it as a social/medical problem rather than a criminal one. One which I personally support wholeheartedly. The club's still have the right not to employ a player whose drug problems are out of control - see Travis Tuck. There are repercussions - just not legal or public ones which to me seems the main driver here. People want players punished for something which quite frankly is none of their business.

Okay if everyone's cool with AFL players using drugs and accepts it as normal behaviour because apparently everyone's doing it and you're a 'zealot' if you don't go with the flow, there shouldn't be a problem with naming the players.

I thought the drugs were illegal?

My last point. Just because I support the policy doesn't mean I'm cool with players taking drugs. It just means I'd rather see the problem treated as a medical/social one rather than this "drugs are bad" approach which evidence shows has been a disaster.

My last point. Just because I support the policy doesn't mean I'm cool with players taking drugs. It just means I'd rather see the problem treated as a medical/social one rather than this "drugs are bad" approach which evidence shows has been a disaster.

With other sports adopting an out of season drug test for rec drugs, with penalties. The AFL dont need to adopt the policy, but with the AFL, they like to be seen as the leadrers in many areas and they simply are not with their current policy.

So is jaywalking. Slavery was once legal. It's the AFL, not the police force

So you dont think the AFL should be leaders in sport and the war on drugs, I suppose thats their decision. Are you happy with them knowing they have a problem and choose not to tackle it like other sports in Australia that are prepared to tackle it head on. I suppose if this attitude is taken by the AFL (which I dont think it is) and not assist the government in tackling the drug problem and showing support to the government, thats their decision, but its also the Governments decision on what support they supply the AFL, like the grounds they play on, or funding of other sorts.

I suppose its ultimatly the AFL's decision, like it is the governments on where they direct funding to.

So you dont think the AFL should be leaders in sport and the war on drugs, I suppose thats their decision.

No, not at all. The so-called "war on drugs" is a farce. People will continue to take drugs (and a minority will have severe problems as a consequence.

Are you happy with them knowing they have a problem and choose not to tackle it like other sports in Australia that are prepared to tackle it head on.

I'm not certain that there is a drug problem in the AFL. If an individual player does have a drug problem, that will be borne out by their performance and other tell tale signs (behaviour change, missing and/or turning up late to team meetings, recovery etc.) The club will know before the AFL does.

I suppose if this attitude is taken by the AFL (which I dont think it is) and not assist the government in tackling the drug problem and showing support to the government, thats their decision, but its also the Governments decision on what support they supply the AFL, like the grounds they play on, or funding of other sorts.

I suppose its ultimatly the AFL's decision, like it is the governments on where they direct funding to.

The AFL currently does more than other sports with regards to illicit drugs, and I applaud their "health and welfare" approach compared to one of a more punitive stance

Last edited:
The AFL currently does more than other sports with regards to illicit drugs, and I applaud their "health and welfare" approach compared to one of a more punitive stance

What planet are you living on we have three sports in Rowing Australia, Diving Australia and Surflifesaving Australia all carrying out out of competition testing for illicit drugs with penalties attached, even the bloody NRL has a stricter policy than the AFL.

The AFL are lagging behind terribly, but again thats their decision, but if the government cut back on funding their juggernaut, it may hit home to a few clubs!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back