Matthew Pavlich To Commentate

Remove this Banner Ad

bit nervous about this. not that many/any of the usual commentary mob are even likeable, but Pav isn't the most charismatic of speakers.
Yeah, got me worried too.
Not that he won't know what he's talking about, the impression I get is that Pavlich would be concentrating too much on trying to be entertaining in order to fit in. Sort of like that contrived fist pump he always did after goaling. It won't feel right.

Some guys like to do the celebrations, some don't. I just hate that they're all expected to celebrate... like in friggin' soccer. For the cameras.
Ballas, Walters I can handle, they're that sort of person. Pavlich... nah.

Might not be pretty.

Pav is clearly cluey and quite switched on;cannot see him trying to do 'stand up' in the box.
Never thought his goal celebrations were any more contrived than anyone else's.
Fully expect him to replicate his on field dominance and go straight to the top of the wazza.

Hopefully he can do as well as Eagle's greats of the likes of Banfield, Peter Wilson, Jako and Andrew Embley.

The thought of Banfield (boundary side) and Jako (though funny on occasion - but probably never deliberately) still make me cringe.

Wilson and Embley can speak but were utter flogs.

I feel Pav was a lot better with words earlier on in his career than in the latter years. He used to speak really well on the Footy Show and with media outlets. But I feel that dropped away as the years went on.

I am hopeful he will be good value and he should grow into the role. He is a very smart man so I will back him in to adapt.

I feel Pav was a lot better with words earlier on in his career than in the latter years. He used to speak really well on the Footy Show and with media outlets. But I feel that dropped away as the years went on.

Sounds like your timeline of his quality lines up to his captaincy.. Bloke clearly got jaded by the whole caper, especially after 2013.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the four tonight had a good chemistry going
They should give Papalia more than just the WA games. He's a very good play by play caller

They should give Papalia more than just the WA games. He's a very good play by play caller
agreed. Hes not over the top and just calls the plays as they happen. He also has a great knack of discreetly fixing and making a joke out of the mistakes the other commentators make.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back