Podcast Matthew Richardson Tuesday 4pm

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of money was invested at Adelaide oval upgrading the sound and lighting.
Does port have any plans to make better use of these elements to revitalise our match day experience. (Which has gone significantly backwards)

Actually this is a great point. There was an announcement from AO a couple of years ago about it, and I was looking forward to a new pre game - then nothing ever changed. I assume it's a cost thing. Probably a shitload more to use it.

Also agree with portiabutters - he can't really say anything to make us happy.

A lot of money was invested at Adelaide oval upgrading the sound and lighting.
Does port have any plans to make better use of these elements to revitalise our match day experience. (Which has gone significantly backwards)
Better use of the elements at a Port game?

I guess we could turn all that rain into some kind of water feature.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thanks for the invitation, Rick. My questions to Matthew:

1. Do you acknowledge and accept that the overriding reason for a decline in attendance and membership is directly linked to on-field performance of the team, and by association, the senior coach?
  2. Do people at the club believe that unless on-field performance significantly improves in 2020, attendance and membership will continue to decline, regardless on any events or "extras" the club may include in membership packages or on game day?
  3. Why, despite the 8th highest attendances in the AFL and more than 60,000 members, do we still fail to make a profit?
  4. Recently, in regard to the "Prison Bar" guernsey, an agreement, made in 2007 was referenced. Was it signed and if it was, who signed it?
  5. What is the biggest hinderance to wearing the "Prison Bar" guernsey whenever the club chooses? Is it the views of our own Board, the AFL or Collingwood Football Club?
  6. If you had to choose 3 identifying factors, most intrinsic to the Port Adelaide Football Club what are they?

Here are your 5 questions Rick. Please do not go easy on him. Ask the questions directly. If he doesn't answer the question, ask it again. I know Richo will use this opportunity to spout off about all the "great" things that will be happening in 2020 and the 150th, but do not let him off easily. Press him when he goes into politician mode. Otherwise I fear this will be a complete waste of time.

Honestly may as well ask about Hinkley's popularity being like a run-away freight train and how is he so popular.

Our members are never listened to anymore anyway.

Better use of the elements at a Port game?

I guess we could turn all that rain into some kind of water feature.

No - this isn't a 1 year thing, although I get your point. Do I care that much, nah, my priority is winning, but we were asked for questions in Matts wheel-house. Over the last 18 months or so we've lost GDV (not our fault) and as far as I can tell, significantly wound back the creativity that was being used to provide a good gameday experience despite the facility spending shitloads (and probably on charging us) on expensive lighting and sound systems apparently able to rival Perth.

IMO the matchday experience year 1 at AO shits over the current one although we have better tools available ..... and I didn't even touch on the wound back catering facilities in the members on match day.

Actually this is a great point. There was an announcement from AO a couple of years ago about it, and I was looking forward to a new pre game - then nothing ever changed. I assume it's a cost thing. Probably a s**tload more to use it.

Also agree with portiabutters - he can't really say anything to make us happy.

My gut was either a cost thing, or the person that had been managing it got moved elsewhere and replaced by someone with much less imagination.
You could probably outsource the design/etc of it to a graphic design/media type uni student as a final yr project.

Is it possible to renegotiate the stadium deal or are we locked in for a certain period of time?
They'll say impossible to re-negotiate deals, then nerf the SANFL side again.

Actually that leads to another question.

Will the club be re-negotiating the rules for the SANFL side next year, and if so can we get the hell out of there.

If all this backwards thinking and heartache and destruction of the PAFC is all tied into a grand plan to enforce Operation Adelaide Power, but you cannot explicitly say so, can you blink twice for Rick? If he blinks twice, Rick, can you randomly yell "Fortnite!!!!"? Cheers.

You could probably outsource the design/etc of it to a graphic design/media type uni student as a final yr project.

Or, you know, hire a professional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are we still the only state clubs which finance their local competitions directly?

Why are we in the top 8 for crowds yet have such a high breakeven we end up losing money?

Isn't a debt demolition campaign completely pointless as all our funds will subsidise this unsustainable setup?

Will we ever gave a fair stadium deal? What would it take to get there?

Why are we still the only state clubs which finance their local competitions directly?

Why are we in the top 8 for crowds yet have such a high breakeven we end up losing money?

Isn't a debt demolition campaign completely pointless as all our funds will subsidise this unsustainable setup?

How are the AFL's finances?

Best-case scenario is a few parasitic dominos falling until there’s zero justification for the SANFL to exist in its present form, hoovering up our and the Crows’ Adelaide Oval revenues.

The fact we’ve invested endless manhours, blood, sweat and tears in China to ultimately extract enough profit to buy a 3-bedroom villa in Munno Para West is absurd.

Something’s gotta give, and it won’t be us.

MY QUESTIONS:

Will there be a 2020 Members' Convention? If so, what is the club doing to convince people to attend it? Will it be held at Alberton or somewhere else?

----

Have we thought applying to play our reserves' team in the VFL against 10 other AFL clubs? Would it be a bad idea or it is the AFL/VFL who has forbidden such a move?

----

Is there a reason why we don't have a China round in a home game? Instead of us only going there to play, why don't we also bring China to South Australia?

[If it is not clear, I would like to apologise. I mean a game at Adelaide Oval. We should have a China-themed home game. We should not only take Australia to China, but also bring China to Australia.]

----

Due our constitution, members have a very limited role in the club's administration. Is the club thinking in ways of bringing members' closer?

For instance, the Seattle Sounders, in MLS, has a member's council which has the final saying on the head coach's contract. Would Port be open to a similar arrangement (not necessarily coach related)?

[MLS has a very singular structure, in which the league owns all its teams. The teams are assigned one for each league owner. Still, in Seattle, the administrators wanted to make their ticket-holders feel like they were members of a sporting club.]

Last edited:
My gut was either a cost thing, or the person that had been managing it got moved elsewhere and replaced by someone with much less imagination.

What is it with this town and doing things like ‘give it to a uni student’....
They already do that with a firms Xmas
Card but I guess they could re-brand a national sporting clubs identity....

Adelaide - Amature Hour....

MY QUESTIONS:

Will there be a 2020 Members' Convention? If so, what is the club doing to convince people to attend it? Will it be held at Alberton or somewhere else?

----

Have we thought applying to play our reserves' team in the VFL against 10 other AFL clubs? Would it be a bad idea or it is the AFL/VFL who has forbidden such a move?

----

Is there a reason why we don't have a China round in a home game? Instead of us only going there to play, why don't we also bring China to South Australia?

----

Due our constitution, members have a very limited role in the club's administration. Is the club thinking in ways of bringing members' closer?

For instance, the Seattle Sounders, in MLS, has a member's council which has the final saying on the head coach's contract. Would Port be open to a similar arrangement?

[MLS has a very singular structure, in which the league owns all its teams. The teams are assigned one for each league owner. Still, in Seattle, the administrators wanted to make their ticket-holders feel like they were members of a sporting club.]

Reference the China home game. Both SA clubs are obliged to play 11 home games at AO therefore the only way we would get a home game in China is for the AFL to give us 12 home games and allocate one of those to China. Last year St Kilda had 11 games at Marvel plus one allocated to China. The AFL are not going to help Port out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back