Podcast Matthew Richardson Tuesday 4pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t go because I live interstate but I would be interested in seeing if he would be willing to share the research (to the group, not online obviously) he was referring to at the start of the interview and what they are doing with it.

I’d also be interested to hear how representative any focus group or sentiment research they run is. Do they find members from a variety of sources including BF?

There isn't much Richo can do regarding the footy. That's ok. He should definitely take a few things on board like:

Stop the messages of 100% support behind Ken. The supporters want to know that the club is aware that he hasn't been good enough.
The talent we are letting go has been diabolical. Of course people won't be happy with it.
Little club from Alberton nonsense.
Still bending over for the AFL on issues like the guernsey. Just be upfront and tell us if we aren't interested in wearing it more often, don't flip flop abut not knowing how many games for or if it will be seen again in the near future.
KT being delighted to be involved in China. FFS, it is our creation. Own it.

All I can think of for now.

Even under Primus, the was the club presented itself was far better than we do now, despite winning more games (but still not enough).

Last edited:
There isn't much Rick can do regarding the footy. That's life. He should definitely take a few things on board like:

Stop the messages of 100% support behind Ken. The supporters want to know that the club is aware that he hasn't been good enough.
The talent we are letting go has been diabolical. Of course people won't be happy with it.
Still bending over for the AFL on issues like the guernsey. Just be upfront and tell us if we aren't interested in wearing it more often, don't flip flop abut not knowing how many games for or if it will be seen again in the near future.
KT being delighted to be involved in China. FFS, it is our creation. Own it.

All I can think of for now.

Even under Primus, the was the club presented itself was far better than we do now, despite winning more games (but still not enough).
The idea that we should be happy with the club because 'at least it's not 2011/2012' is another bullshit line that the club's been pushing.

73FF8995-6276-458F-ADBE-2355D56B9D7B.jpeg

• “Such is sport, I guess!”

• “All of them significantly bigger than us”

• “Port Adelaide has always punched above its weight”

• “I don’t see any point in shaping the Club in such a way that our most loyal and passionate supporters can’t relate to, or believe in”

Never forget.

I seriously want some justification on Port always punching above it's weight - yes, there would have been times in the SANFL we won when we shouldn't have, but there are shitloads more where we would have went in to the year as one of the favourities for the flag, year after year after year, and even more when we lost when we were favourites.

It's a pure retconning of history.

Ewh even the little 'I guess!' at the end is infuriating. We get it. We can't win all the time. Don't make a joke out of it though. Just leave it straight at 'such is sport' and it would have been somewhat palatable. Imagine if the same approach was used to address racism in the crowd.

'we know that when you have 50 thousand people there might be a few bellends, not everyone who attends the footy is gonna be a great person with good values, it's no good that that lady threw a banana at Eddie Betts but what can ya do haha can't stop all of them at the gate'.

Ewh even the little 'I guess!' at the end is infuriating. We get it. We can't win all the time. Don't make a joke out of it though. Just leave it straight at 'such is sport' and it would have been somewhat palatable. Imagine if the same approach was used to address racism in the crowd.

'we know that when you have 50 thousand people there might be a few bellends, not everyone who attends the footy is gonna be a great person with good values, it's no good that that lady threw a banana at Eddie Betts but what can ya do haha can't stop all of them at the gate'.

That was a letter directed to lapsed members too.

I mean, I can’t speak for everyone, but nothing gets my juices flowing for Port Adelaide football like being told we’ve always been an existential minnow whose best chance at success is to somehow bob up and fluke one against all odds at some mythical point in the future.

How is the message not about growth and overarching ambition? Returning Port Adelaide to its status as a powerhouse of the game, let alone the regional hegemon?

Goals. Hope. Desire.

You can literally smell the abject defeatism of those words through the screen.

Remember when Koch was like Port Adelaide isn't just 5015 let's launch a new sponsorship at the MCG?

In concert with “Beware The Sleeping Giant”.

Now it’s “Remember 2011?!” and “We’re Not Cold, It’s Always This Small”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, I can’t speak for everyone, but nothing gets my juices flowing for Port Adelaide football like being told we’ve always been an existential minnow whose best chance at success is to somehow bob up and fluke one against all odds at some mythical point in the future.

How is the message not about growth and overarching ambition? Returning Port Adelaide to its status as a powerhouse of the game, let alone the regional hegemon?

Goals. Hope. Desire.

You can literally smell the abject defeatism of those words through the screen.

The chasm between what the club sees itself as (ie little old working class battler club, hope to win rather than expect to win, always up against the odds and a sort of 10th placed team by default) and what the supporters see their club as (ie historically strong and successful club, expect to win, no excuses mentality) is absolutely enormous.

Even if there is a small element of truth to what the Whateley's of the world say and that Port supporters expect too much, that still doesn't excuse the club's general lack of ambition, nor does it excuse its lack of even the most basic level of success (eg say making the finals 50% of the time).

To be frank, the messaging itself is not as important as the cultural problems that it reveals. Shoot for the moon and even if you miss you'll land among the stars, etc. Stop hoping and start actually believing that you can win.

Goals. Hope. Desire.

You can literally smell the abject defeatism of those words through the screen
You can take the boy out of Norwood...

We were the giant of SA football ffs. A giant in the whole country hence we are in the AFL. Baffled...

Big fish in a small pond in some ways though. We don't generate enough income to match the big clubs. Until the SA economy improves this is unlikely to change much too - we'll always be stuck behind the big teams that have massive revenue. This does not excuse our shithouse results, nor does it mean we're not underperforming off-field (how is our stadium deal not better?) we just have to manage with less money and options compared to other clubs in this competition.

Big fish in a small pond in some ways though. We don't generate enough income to match the big clubs. Until the SA economy improves this is unlikely to change much too - we'll always be stuck behind the big teams that have massive revenue. This does not excuse our shithouse results, nor does it mean we're not underperforming off-field (how is our stadium deal not better?) we just have to manage with less money and options compared to other clubs in this competition.

If not being a big club is being about 8th in the entire world of Australian football then I don't know what is. We need to act our size and push for our own future on our bullshit stadium deal etc and start acting like winners, like we want to be there. This entire language of just sitting there and being grateful to just being allowed to play with everyone on the big stage is weak and very unappealing. It doesn't even make sense because as Port supporters they are mixing up winning at times when we didn't expect to not winning in our past history in spite of being povo, that's simply fictional.

This SA economy stuff is BS. If we were decent we would attract national and international sponsors to generate revenue who are looking to get in to the SA market, or even SA based companies looking to get their name out there (eg Pirate Life).

As it stands, we aren't.

This SA economy stuff is BS. If we were decent we would attract national and international sponsors to generate revenue who are looking to get in to the SA market, or even SA based companies looking to get their name out there (eg Pirate Life).

As it stands, we aren't.

So what you're saying is there needs to be an SA market, or SA based companies with money to spend to get their name out there? Cause that's exactly what I'm talking about. If the SA market isn't worth much then nobody will pay much to get into it.

And since when do we get any real national attention? Nobody outside of SA gives a hoot about Port, we're almost completely forgotten which really hurts our sponsorship opportunities. We just don't get company's names out there because we're never focused on. If we were getting friday night or national marquee free to air games then yeah absolutely, but as it stands not even our game in China gets broadcast on national FTA.

Nobody cares about us because we play boring football, with zero aggression, with no real x-factor type players. We are long way from the likes of Schulz and Wingard taking a mark of the year contender every fortnight. Even in choco's late years we had more mojo.

We have become like Craig's crowbots but without actually winning games of football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody cares about us because we play boring football, with zero aggression, with no real x-factor type players. We are long way from the likes of Schulz and Wingard taking a mark of the year contender every fortnight. Even in choco's late years we had more mojo.

We have become like Craig's crowbots but without actually winning games of football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s the self-fulfilling prophecy.

People couldn’t get enough Port circa 2014, with Adelaide Oval and that entire experience rightly seen as an industry-leader with an exciting young team on the cusp of sustained glory.

But 5 years of boring, pathetic, futile, underwhelming footy has well and truly burned the potential the club had for a relevancy breakout.

And when we’re stuck with 8-9 Sunday twilight Foxtel timeslots in the not-too-distant future, it’ll be “we get no exposure”.

Well, no sh¡t.

It’s the self-fulfilling prophecy.

People couldn’t get enough Port circa 2014, with Adelaide Oval and that entire experience rightly seen as an industry-leader with an exciting young team on the cusp of sustained glory.

But 5 years of boring, pathetic, futile, underwhelming footy has well and truly burned the potential the club had for a relevancy breakout.

And when we’re stuck with 8-9 Sunday twilight Foxtel timeslots in the not-too-distant future, it’ll be “we get no exposure”.

Well, no sh¡t.
Our games should rate well.

It is usually the best game of the year for our opposition

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our games should rate well.

It is usually the best game of the year for our opposition

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What is it, 4 years in a row now of the eventual premier claiming that their season defining win was a single digit win against Port at Adelaide Oval?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back