Matthew Richardson

Remove this Banner Ad

Richo didn't fall arse backward into flags.

LOL did you even see Tommy Hawkin s play in either of those grannies? 2011 especially he was a big reason that Geelong won.

Tommy Hawkins has won more grand finals than Richo won final also.

2.8 goals per game - seriously good even back in the 90's when goals were in fashion and excellent in to the 00's
2.0 behinds per game - marks down for inaccuracy
8 marks per game - amazing

Consistent 50-60 goal kicker whilst playing up the ground.

Injury and team prevented him from matching the 91 goals in 1996.

Blowing up at team mates really minimal impact on his overall career. He got frustrated - fair enough too - but rarely dropped his head or burnt relationships with team mates.

Hard to compare eras but I'd say from the players I've watched Richo belongs in the below Carey realm of great CHF's with Kernahan, Riewoldt, Pavlich, Jono Brown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was he really one of Richmond's top 10? While he was one of the game's most gifted athletes ever, the problem was his temperament and vitriolic behavior. He may have actually failed to live up to his true potential, as he could have accomplished even more if he had a better head on his shoulders. His career was a whirlwind of injuries, miraculous play, petulant behavior and atrocious kicking.

Richmond Premiers 2017 :D

Ps - yes

Richmond Premiers 2017 :D

Ps - yes

Rofl,
The guy is a Richmond legend and one of the nicest blokes you will probably ever meet

Lol at the opening post.

One of the nicest blokes? Well let's see..notorious for giving players and spectators the middle finger salute, attacking a spectator when walking back to the rooms, berating team mates on the field when things dont go his way, cracking scott lucas in the face when he was on the ground. Yep, he sure was a nice bloke. A real role model.

He was a full forward, not a CHF, not that it means much anymore in todays game.

Richo was a freak. He played a lot of his footy in rubbish teams and on a lot of occasions was our only shining light. Many times when we were getting spanked and kicking 12 for the day and Richo was kicking 6 of them. A top quality mark and tough as nails. Not too many players play the following week after breaking their cheek bone. His last few years playing on a wing were a privilege to watch. Yes he missed some easy goals but he was also a great shot outside 50.

Matthew Richardson......we salute you.

Was he really one of Richmond's top 10? While he was one of the game's most gifted athletes ever, the problem was his temperament and vitriolic behavior. He may have actually failed to live up to his true potential, as he could have accomplished even more if he had a better head on his shoulders. His career was a whirlwind of injuries, miraculous play, petulant behavior and atrocious kicking.

Spoken like a man who most likely never actually watched him play.

His kicking wasn't actually all that bad.

He had about a 60% efficiency when shooting for goal -- it puts him well below the best but plenty of guys have had worse.

There's few things I've seen Richo get snarky at -- claims that he couldn't kick is one of them.

I saw Richo play live very early in his career & it was funny as *, was running around forward 50 like an unco giraffe & struggled to get a touch, still cracks me up. But he could seriously play, some of his onfield behaviour did get a bit tiring tho.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back