Matthew Richardson

Remove this Banner Ad

Should've, if only. Or instead of plugging away in tassie to make it to the elite level and then kicking 800 goals - He could've sat on his arse and anonymously bagged guys that actually had a crack and achieved something. But you keep sitting in your bedroom at your parents house and tell us what he could've and should've done buddy.

ROFL, tyrone vickery was a straighter kick than richo.

Star of the game.
Great to watch, always entertaining (on his good and bad days :D).
Kept thousands of supporters interested in the game when Richmond were average at best.
Elite endurance in a 6' 6" frame, fantastic mark... easily top 10.

Better in the media than he was a player, which is creating an alternative history on how good he was.

Great athlete, but dummy spits and inaccurate kicking hurt him.

For a guy that spend nearly his entire career in the forward 50 during a time when big bags were kicked by players, and to only average 2.8 goals a game, is hardly remarkable, although his longevity is worth praise.

Better in the media than he was a player, which is creating an alternative history on how good he was.

Great athlete, but dummy spits and inaccurate kicking hurt him.

For a guy that spend nearly his entire career in the forward 50 during a time when big bags were kicked by players, and to only average 2.8 goals a game, is hardly remarkable, although his longevity is worth praise.

I really don't get this. The guy who is 12th on the all time goal kicking list has a hardly remarkable goal kicking record?

ROFL, tyrone vickery was a straighter kick than richo.
My grandmother was a straighter kick than Richo, what an inane comment. He acknowledged it whilst playing, and especially since retiring. Is one of the charms of the bloke, very self effacing and humorous. And on Ty Vickery, he'd be a better shot at goals than most forwards I've seen, usually because they were from straight in front about 30m out, or out the back in the goals square. Rarely missed. Richo kicked the impossible from the boundary 50m out, and hit the post from 10.

The massive Richo, Richo, Richo chant that went up at the start of this years GF was a testament to that.
Without doubt the most loved tiger in my time following the club. The big richooooo scream as the ball was kicked into the fwd line back in the day was sensational. Only player I’ve felt genuinely sad on hearing their retirement.

Loved him as a player, and still seems like a ripping fella, however not a fan of him as a commentator. Always waits until after the general consensus has been reached before offering his opinion. A classic fence sitter.

He's one of two forwards to average >8 marks per game, with Nick Riewoldt. Would you say the same about Riewoldt averaging 2.1 goals per game?

2.8 goals per game - seriously good even back in the 90's when goals were in fashion and excellent in to the 00's
2.0 behinds per game - marks down for inaccuracy
8 marks per game - amazing

Consistent 50-60 goal kicker whilst playing up the ground.

Injury and team prevented him from matching the 91 goals in 1996.

Blowing up at team mates really minimal impact on his overall career. He got frustrated - fair enough too - but rarely dropped his head or burnt relationships with team mates.

Hard to compare eras but I'd say from the players I've watched Richo belongs in the below Carey realm of great CHF's with Kernahan, Riewoldt, Pavlich, Jono Brown.
Tredrea

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If comparing as CHF it is not close and Tredrea would be ahead. Richardson was never an All Australian FF or CHF. Tredrea was a 4 time AA CHF.
Richo was a gun. An amazing individual player and one of the most entertaining to watch. Rightly or wrongly though I always felt the Tigers would never achieve ultimate success whilst he was there.

Tredrea was the opposite. Able to will his team over the line in big games and save his team in big games (he famously did both on one game v the Tigers).

Richo was a gun. An amazing individual player and one of the most entertaining to watch. Rightly or wrongly though I always felt the Tigers would never achieve ultimate success whilst he was there.

Tredrea was the opposite. Able to will his team over the line in big games and save his team in big games (he famously did both on one game v the Tigers).

Richo was a matchwinner also. Kane Johnson played with him as well as McLeod & Jarman, and rated Richo on a par for his ability to decide games.

The knock on Tredrea was his relatively short (but consistently high standard) time at the top of his game. Richo's the only player to make the All-Australian team 12 seasons apart.

Last edited:
He was an excellent player- even with his kicking issues his regular output was top tier for a key forward.

And when he was having a good day he was about as close to peak Franklin as any previous player I can think of- when he was 'on' he had that combination of long leads, agility, height and reach advantage and booming kicking which made him impossible to defend effectively.

Opposition fans used to love getting stuck into him at games because we knew if he bought his A game and stayed focused there was nothing much our defenders could do about him. And when he melted down he was hilarious.

Against the Swans at the MCG in (I think 2005) in a downpour. Richmond won only kicking 10 goals. It was an impossible situation for tall forwards. Which is why Richo only kicked 7.:eek: Richmond was crap that year and so only rusted on Richmond supporters will probably remember it. That's part of why neutrals underrate him, because he got to little chance to perform in finals.

Against the Swans at the MCG in (I think 2005) in a downpour. Richmond won only kicking 10 goals. It was an impossible situation for tall forwards. Which is why Richo only kicked 7.:eek: Richmond was crap that year and so only rusted on Richmond supporters will probably remember it. That's part of why neutrals underrate him, because he got to little chance to perform in finals.
I actually think that game was at the scg, was a magnificent display from the great man.

I actually think that game was at the scg, was a magnificent display from the great man.
Typo - sorry. In fact I was in Sydney at the time. I had just started my PhD and footy wasn't on my mind - staying at a friends flat in Darlinghurst. I had finished a week of intense research at the Mitchell and spent a rainy afternoon at her flat reading books (I was flying back that evening and had forgotten we were playing at the SCG a short bus trip away). Turned on the news and could have kicked myself for missing the match. Regretted it ever since andf (what's worse) have never been able to source any video of it.

at the SCG in 2004

Remove this Banner Ad

Back