Player Watch #34 Matthew Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

SA teams may come knocking but he's signed until the end of next season and why would he leave? He's getting a game. We're a good club and a strong team.

I can actually partially answer that question - he is really good mates with former teammates JHF and Arlo Draper and they have both now returned to SA, so that might be a bit of a drawcard. But really I think it will make more sense for him to stay where he is and catch up with his mates when he can. (However I do think he'd be much more likely to join JHF at Port than to go to Adelaide.)

He's really finding his feet in seniors, which is unsurprising and terrific. I noticed today that he was defending quite high and able to get around the ball a bit too. Plus his composure and reliable ball use and kicking are so valuable. If we keep playing him down back he's got plenty of room to improve because I don't think he's spent much time training as a defender.
It's pretty obvious that he's well loved here and looks like he'll play the rest of the season in a strong team so you'd think the ties will only get stronger.

Surprised me with his ability to be effective at this level. He has good decision making skills, plays within his abilities but is courageous when required. Go well Rangs.

seems like he's improved really quickly with the experience playing seniors
he's thriving, and developing into a genuine contributer rather than just playing a role
he looks really composed with the ball
coming into this i thought we had a really good team, without really considering roberts a contender for our round one team
he has been a real bonus! well and truly established himself

I see 3 big reasons why we look better this year.

1) Heeney in the guts
2) Grundy as ruck
3) Roberts off HB

Roberts's contract expires end of 2025, conveniently at the same time as Lloyd's. The club needs to extend Roberts by at least another 4 years before this season is out. He is exactly what Port or Adelaide desperately need...........

Roberts's contract expires end of 2025, conveniently at the same time as Lloyd's. The club needs to extend Roberts by at least another 4 years before this season is out. He is exactly what Port or Adelaide desperately need...........
IMO, one of the more important re-signings to get done this year over others...

I see 3 big reasons why we look better this year.

1) Heeney in the guts
2) Grundy as ruck
3) Roberts off HB

4 for Roberts, 1+1 for Lloyd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back