Rumour Matthew Scarlett and Joel Corey to join Josh Hunt at GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

The Scarlo thing I reckon is junk. If our list was not brimming I'm sure that Smithy may have gone again with a Chappy type offer of 12 - 14 games. I have no information if Smithy was offered or inquired but I'm sure the potential one side of the door has certainly effected the people on the other side.

I hope - selfishly - he plays only at Geelong. That said, if this move gets him into a coaching role and a year or two experience I'd have him back at KP in no time with open arms. None better for mine in establishing what is required for the younger group to succeed.

Go Catters

No he hasn't.
New short-term environment. Schooling the kids. The feeling of being a required player.
If Chappy can scratch out 2 years at the Bombers, with his history of groins, hammy's and back issues, Joel could do a year on adrenalin and enthusiasm - Great trainer, hard man, and plays through injury without the fuss. I'd back him.

New short-term environment. Schooling the kids. The feeling of being a required player.
If Chappy can scratch out 2 years at the Bombers, with his history of groins, hammy's and back issues, Joel could do a year on adrenalin and enthusiasm - Great trainer, hard man, and plays through injury without the fuss. I'd back him.

Chapman has managed to persuade his lovestruck former coach to sign him up for 2 years. Doesn't mean he's remotely up to the job of actually getting out there.

How was Corey ever not "a required player"? He played all through 2012 and his form was horrible. He was preferred as a defender in 2013 even though he's not a defender, because Scott couldn't face dropping him.

I've got zero doubt that if he wanted to, he would be as fit as it's possible to be. That doesn't mean he can actually play the game at the top level anymore. He can't. He'll just embarrass himself.

Corey was still unable to push out 22 games last year, not bad for a guy who can't play.

Would be huge for GWS.

My mail is he wanted to play on, cats said no!

Chapman has managed to persuade his lovestruck former coach to sign him up for 2 years. Doesn't mean he's remotely up to the job of actually getting out there.

How was Corey ever not "a required player"? He played all through 2012 and his form was horrible. He was preferred as a defender in 2013 even though he's not a defender, because Scott couldn't face dropping him.

I've got zero doubt that if he wanted to, he would be as fit as it's possible to be. That doesn't mean he can actually play the game at the top level anymore. He can't. He'll just embarrass himself.
I'd disagree with him not being able to go again and be good for them... for what we require he wouldn't be up to it... no doubt

But what he would bring to GWS I think it would be a good move for him.. he'll get his 17-20 touches and they will be happy with it plus the development role he will play ....

we would want more from him and knew he couldn't give it

I fear your tree may be shedding a few pears, Partridge :D

I'll leave your Chappy-Thommo love-fest aside, as that hopefully, was penned for little more than effect.

My view on Smithy's situation is that being one of the most respected clubmen, not only at the Cattery, but throughout the AFL, and with us needing to move on older players,.. out of respect, 'retired' looks better on a CV than 'delisted'. Any way I look at it, in my eyes that still rates him as 'No Longer Required' as of October 2013 -- An injury riddled 2012, then 2013 often played out of position due to necessity and/or transition planning, has seen Joel unfairly ridiculed by many. With the pressure somewhat off at GWS and support of a young, fleet-footed midfield, the poor decision making we sometimes saw throughout 2013 should correct itself. Let's also acknowledge that he is a true inside mid, not a roaming or tagging half-back. If played midfield up north, even lacking a further half-yard in pace, I'll stick with my opinion that he will do well next year. You're entitled to think he has lost it and would embarrass himself.

Anyhow, it's all supposition unless Smithy actually signs on to play. Could be they did the round trip for Mardis Gras tickets.

My view on Smithy's situation is that being one of the most respected clubmen, not only at the Cattery, but throughout the AFL, and with us needing to move on older players,.. out of respect, 'retired' looks better on a CV than 'delisted'. Any way I look at it, in my eyes that still rates him as 'No Longer Required' as of October 2013 -- An injury riddled 2012, then 2013 often played out of position due to necessity and/or transition planning, has seen Joel unfairly ridiculed by many. With the pressure somewhat off at GWS and support of a young, fleet-footed midfield, the poor decision making we sometimes saw throughout 2013 should correct itself. Let's also acknowledge that he is a true inside mid, not a roaming or tagging half-back. If played midfield up north, even lacking a further half-yard in pace, I'll stick with my opinion that he will do well next year. You're entitled to think he has lost it and would embarrass himself.

Good post, but I still disagree. I was very close to the fence in Round 23 against Brisbane and you could see he was second guessing every thing he did out there. There's no disgrace in that, it's just his time was up.

Sorry but I have to ask, how was 2012 "injury riddled"? He played 20 of 23 games. He was just declining as a player. For 2013, I would ask why he was played out of position, and the answer is he wasn't up to it in the middle anymore. I don't think he was ever ridiculed at all, it's just some very reluctantly realised he was finished. It happens to everyone. It's going to happen to Kelly next, then probably Bartel.

No doubt at all that if he desired, he might get a year out of GWS. Fair enough, and in terms of training and preparation - especially as an example for their kids - there is no one better. But I don't think he'll be any good. His body unfortunately can't do what he wants it to now.

From memory, Joel had hip and knee concerns throughout the entirety of 2012.

Perhaps I am not so critical of his efforts this season because he was not alone. What you noticed in Corey I also saw in Bartel, Duncan, Johnno, Pods (to name but a few) through the latter third of this season. Players lacking time, space, and the ability to find it,.. appearing indecisive, frustrated, blown out on second efforts, not recovering so well as the season progressed.

Poor fixturing, injury, brain fades, a tough opening month, and inside expectations took a toll upon all, leading into finals. With a top-heavy age bracket and our younger brigade 30-40 games shy of being reliable, it was on the cards the older guys would push harder and the odd circuit would blow - So I'll forgive Smithy for looking lost at times.

I thought he was inside best 22 for us this year. That said, would probably go 60/40 VFL/AFL next year, so I agree his time is now up at the Cattery. But I'm sure with a freshen-up he has a good year to offer the right club, played in his true position. GWS would seem the perfect fit for a swan song, should he of course choose to continue.

Agree he's on a knife's edge and the end for some does come quickly,... but I'll still back him.

Apology for the late reply...
Bagging & tagging of one totally dysfunctional distraction, next on the agenda :mad:

All the blokes Scott and Balme shoved are now back on other lists, Jimmy and Kel won't let the grass grow, the ethos has changed and wasn't always handled well.
Loyalty is a characteristic of the supporter, not for those involved in the game.

Well that's weird. I heard Robert Harvey will only consider the senior coaching job at St Kilda if Matty Scarlett signs to play with the Saints for one year

Heard the same... Sounds like he needs to be 'told' again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that's weird. I heard Robert Harvey will only consider the senior coaching job at St Kilda if Matty Scarlett signs to play with the Saints for one year
Heard the same... Sounds like he needs to be 'told' again
How funny was it when Scarlo told Harvey that he would never win a flag? Hahahahahahahaha:D

Smithy can go another year, I actually thought he would go on with us, had a pretty good year.

Scarlo though, LOL, he's done at the top level, struggled in his final year with us, would be good for a coaching role at the Giants though, that's about it.

That's what makes it piss funny hahahahahaha suck s**t Harvey hahahaha.

He is the only opposition club 'legend' that i loathe, Bucks is a close second.
let him eat s**t, s**t at st kilda.
as the great one once said
you will never win a flag
and then he cried

Corey I could understand if it's a coaching/playing role.

But Scarlo playing? Embarrasing for everyone.
Scarlo has committed to co-coach South Barwon next year to help out the club following Casey's shocking injury. And, I understand, continue assisting McCartney at the Bullies. The stuff about him playing at GWS is scuttlebutt pure and simple.

On the other hand, I reckon Smithy would be value as an on and off field leader at GWS as a possible forerunner to a coaching career somewhere.

Well well well...

3AW reporting that this wasn't bollocks after all...
"Dave Matthews confirms the Giants did go after Scarlett and Corey - the duo were approached before Christmas"
"Matthews said both players (Scarlett and Corey) flew up to Sydney to speak to the Giants"

Well well well...

3AW reporting that this wasn't bollocks after all...
"Dave Matthews confirms the Giants did go after Scarlett and Corey - the duo were approached before Christmas"
"Matthews said both players (Scarlett and Corey) flew up to Sydney to speak to the Giants"

Both boys did the GWS tour on Wed - flew up & back out of Avalon.
As called by a good source at the time......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back