News Matthew Scarlett Quits as Assistant Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could argue Bartel was his equal, maybe better in some respects, but as a pure midfielder, I agree with GAJ and Selwood, Buddha was better than Danger IMO, mostly due to a bit more longevity of top form and absolute elite foot skills.
Before Buddha, there was Billy Goggin, a brilliant true rover. He was still elite after Polly Farmer left. But such a different era to compare with players like Hocking and then GAJ.
The way I see it, there was no player like GAJ; yet his dad was even better. We have been blessed.
Billy was also a really good coach, tough and demanding, but he inspired players to go that extra step. I really wonder what Scarlo was like- he is a really different Cat.

You could argue Bartel was his equal, maybe better in some respects, but as a pure midfielder, I agree with GAJ and Selwood, Buddha was better than Danger IMO, mostly due to a bit more longevity of top form and absolute elite foot skills.
That would be a very tough conversation …I would give it slightly to Buddha based on his longevity in the middle, but like you mentioned Bartel performances in the finals could easily see him overtake Buddha

too hard to call that one for me

That would be a very tough conversation …I would give it slightly to Buddha based on his longevity in the middle, but like you mentioned Bartel performances in the finals could easily see him overtake Buddha

too hard to call that one for me
Agreed.
Buddha was brilliant in 89- got hit in the GF though, and impotent after that. His 89 Prelim was superb.
He got us into the 94 GF, then got a heavy Woosha cork in the first minute of the GF, and was unable to dominate, let alone play. He was the dominant p[layer that finals series.
In 95- White- line fever in the GF. Let himself and the team down. But that was really his only poor finals game that I can recall.
I can not recall his 92 finals performances.

Quick poll:

A) There's more to discuss in regards to former assistant Matthew Scarlett

B) The Matthew Scarlett discussion has finished just as his time at Geelong as an assistant coach has finished

If things are swaying towards B then maybe it's time to close the thread...

B

Having a read over recent pages it seems that "answer B" from the poll is the clear winner & that the Matthew Scarlett discussion has finished just as his time at Geelong as an assistant coach has finished

For those that wish to continue discussion around topics such as the best finals player, there's other options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back