News Matthew Scarlett Quits as Assistant Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be interesting to understand the amount of ‘say’ the various stakeholders have in the assistant coach changes, particularly Scott and players as well as Lloyd, Drummond and of course Hocking. Knights and Enright have gone to different jobs but I think we all sense there is a club initiation to the changes. Is Scott a part of it? Is it the club trying to bring in fresh ideas to support Chris? A nudge to Chris? Or maybe that and a Roos/Goodwin like master/apprentice change over.
Really interesting to see who are the new coaches. Is Domsey a chance to come in from Falcons ? wouldn’t be surprised to see Shaun Griggs to move from development to VFL coach and maybe midfield coach.

Last edited:
Be interesting to understand the amount of ‘say’ the various stakeholders have in the assistant coach changes, particularly Scott and players as well as Lloyd, Drummond and of course Hocking. Knights and Enright have gone to different jobs but I think we all sense there is a club initiation to the changes. Is Scott a part of it? Is it the club trying to bring in fresh ideas to support Chris? A nudge to Chris? Or maybe that and a Roos/Goodwin like master/apprentice change over. Really interesting to see who are the new coaches. Is Domsey a chance ?

Wouldn’t think so, entrenched in the falcons program now.

Pretty happy about this tbh. Scarlett is and always will be a legend of our club but I've always thought he was not the right fit for a coaching role. It's one thing to have the footy smarts but it's another to have the charisma and personality to get the best out of the players under you, Scarlett is a pretty confrontational sort of bloke, will tell it as it is and this isn't necassarly a great thing.

Anyone have any examples of Scarlett's apparent abrasiveness? Sounds like a right campaigner from what people say - and enough people say it for me to believe it to be true - but I don't know of any actual examples. Actually, there was the stoush with Robert Harvey but I don't remember that one being too bad...or was it?

Anyway, I'm glad he's gone. Not because he was poor at what he did - maybe he was, but I wouldn't have any clue either way as to the performance of he or any of the assistant coaches. But I'm glad because this and the other guys leaving shows that we are actually making some serious changes, which I very much welcome. Here's to some more attacking, exciting football next year! Well, here's hoping.

Anyone have any examples of Scarlett's apparent abrasiveness? Sounds like a right campaigner from what people say - and enough people say it for me to believe it to be true - but I don't know of any actual examples. Actually, there was the stoush with Robert Harvey but I don't remember that one being too bad...or was it?

Anyway, I'm glad he's gone. Not because he was poor at what he did - maybe he was, but I wouldn't have any clue either way as to the performance of he or any of the assistant coaches. But I'm glad because this and the other guys leaving shows that we are actually making some serious changes, which I very much welcome. Here's to some more attacking, exciting football next year! Well, here's hoping.

Well he punched Justin Murphy at a Mad Monday in the early 2000s, he admitted that he almost had a punch up with SJ because he felt SJ always played for himself, he told the club he would walk out if Thompson was sacked after the 06 review (nothing wrong with that just showing his strong personality), he somehow pissed off Robert Harvey, he punched Hayden Ballantyne on the field. My point is he was very strong headed and seem to have the attitude that it's my way all the highway.

Be interesting to understand the amount of ‘say’ the various stakeholders have in the assistant coach changes, particularly Scott and players as well as Lloyd, Drummond and of course Hocking. Knights and Enright have gone to different jobs but I think we all sense there is a club initiation to the changes. Is Scott a part of it? Is it the club trying to bring in fresh ideas to support Chris? A nudge to Chris? Or maybe that and a Roos/Goodwin like master/apprentice change over.
Really interesting to see who are the new coaches. Is Domsey a chance to come in from Falcons ? wouldn’t be surprised to see Shaun Griggs to move from development to VFL coach and maybe midfield coach.
Chapman back in a succession plan to take over in 2023.

:tonguewink:

Well he punched Justin Murphy at a Mad Monday in the early 2000s, he admitted that he almost had a punch up with SJ because he felt SJ always played for himself, he told the club he would walk out if Thompson was sacked after the 06 review (nothing wrong with that just showing his strong personality), he somehow pissed off Robert Harvey, he punched Hayden Ballantyne on the field. My point is he was very strong headed and seem to have the attitude that it's my way all the highway.

Cheers. I also just remembered that I have read he was pretty cold on younger players making their way into the side when he was one of the senior guys. Wanted them to prove their stripes before he would make an effort to warm to them.

I guess all up it does paint him as a bit of a dick, but I expected there to be worse examples tbh given the animosity even from Cats fans.

paradoxically, also had team bonding bbqs at his place, got his defense line playing for each other... He is not a middle of the roader. :)

I have a feeling Steve Hocking understands it and he's working to change things. Also, I think there have been a number of regular posters here calling for these changes for the last 3 years.

We've needed an assistant coach shake up for ages. Doing it now is shutting the gate after the horse has bolted as it looks like the list is cooked now. Fresh ideas is still good though.

You might be referring to a different incident, but is this when Harvey sledged Bartel about his Dad and when Scarlett found out about it he got involved? Harvey could give it, just couldn't hack it when he had it done back to him.

Yep Harvey gave it to Bartel and Scarlo told him :

You're just a selfish old c..t," I kept telling him. "You're never going to win a flag. Your career has been a total waste."

“ After the game, I went up to shake his hand.

"You right, mate, the games over," I said.

That's how I played football. What happens on the field stays on the field, and when the siren goes you always shake hands and walk away.

"You're a f..khead," he said as he ignored my outstretched hand and walked off. “

Harvey was a dog who could dish it out but didn’t like it in return …to sledge Bartel over his estranged father was a pure dog act

and LOL at this bit:

“Strangely, Harvey was still hanging onto it years later. I saw him at Hamilton Island when I was on a family vacation and gave him a wave. He snubbed me twice.”

Last edited:

You're just a selfish old c..t," I kept telling him. "You're never going to win a flag. Your career has been a total waste."

That's how I played football. What happens on the field stays on the field, and when the siren goes you always shake hands and walk away.

"You're a f..khead," he said as he ignored my outstretched hand and walked off. “

Harvey was a dog who could dish it out but didn’t like it in return …to sledge Bartel over his estranged father was a pure dog act

and LOL at this bit:

“Strangely, Harvey was still hanging onto it years later. I saw him at Hamilton Island when I was on a family vacation and gave him a wave. He snubbed me twice.”
Didn't really keep it on the field did he. Told a journo. It was the bit I most disliked about his book.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and LOL at this bit:

Heard he told Harvey that he could play under super rules the next year as he would be over 35? Harv didn’t see the funny side of it. Again, can dish it but can’t take it.

Heard he told Harvey that he could play under super rules the next year as he would be over 35? Harv didn’t see the funny side of it. Again, can dish it but can’t take it.
Interesting the farewell note. 'the coaches i have worked with', clearly doesn't reference the Head Coach. Also - the misfits reference. Once again, it was probably identified that it was too much of a cult, yet he sends a final message highlighting it. And I doubt Clark was really part of the misfits, so maybe its a shot at him too.

I hope they get good quality assistants - not just the merry go round of assistant coaches from club to club

West Coast got in Knights and J Schofield the Port midfield coach - yet Geel and Port ( especially under pressure - particularly finals pressure gets obliterated in the midfield ) - so to me the Eagles just got 2 new blokes in to freshen the joint up a bit - is it going to fix the problem though - because W/Coast has got the same problem as Port and Geel

I hope Scott just doesnt bring in 3 more ex Bris Lion buddies

Geel - you would think when they appoint those 3 new coaches - theyd be looking at applicants who could be the senior coach in 2022 - youd think they would have an eye on that angle when they make the appointments

Scarlo had his favorites and played them irrespective of form to our detriment.

Happy to see a coaching cleanout.
I thought Scott was the head coach,my read is Scott has won the battle on list and game plan with Hocking falling into line and those who disagreed left voluntary or were pushed,new contract for Scott odds on now and more of the same.

I thought Scott was the head coach,my read is Scott has won the battle on list and game plan with Hocking falling into line and those who disagreed left voluntary or were pushed,new contract for Scott odds on now and more of the same.
how about we see what happens next year, I wouldn't be surprised if things change more than people are thinking they will - complete clean out of line coaches is straight up going to bring in fresh ideas across the ground, and those players who maybe felt safe with their former line coaches may not be so safe next year

Could be a good shake up and changes to come

Yeah I think you are right. Unless something dramatic is still to happen (Scott to Gold Coast/media), then we are going to be stuck with him. Hopefully they wait to see how things pan out next season before giving him an extension (i.e. game plan and selection criteria changes).

how about we see what happens next year, I wouldn't be surprised if things change more than people are thinking they will - complete clean out of line coaches is straight up going to bring in fresh ideas across the ground, and those players who maybe felt safe with their former line coaches may not be so safe next year

Could be a good shake up and changes to come
None of that stuff happens unless Scott capitulates , as much as I'd like that to be the outcome I can't see it he's a stubborn bugger.

Each of those incidents only add to the esteem we should hold him in do they not? He did the things that everyone else was already thinking of doing but didn't have the guts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back