News Matthew Scarlett Quits as Assistant Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently Scarlett also warned Murphy to not attend the B&F (that he won) given his desire to leave - true?

Loved the way he played, including his ‘in the face’ approach. Only time sledging went too far was giving it to Maxwell just before end of 2011 GF (because someone said he was a better Captain than Harley). Any other game good but a bit shitty at end of a GF when opponents can’t feel any lower. IMO anyway.

Should get massive kudos for coaching the misfits, particularly with their mixed background, to becoming consistently one of best defensive units.

Apparently Scarlett also warned Murphy to not attend the B&F (that he won) given his desire to leave - true?

Loved the way he played, including his ‘in the face’ approach. Only time sledging went too far was giving it to Maxwell just before end of 2011 GF (because someone said he was a better Captain than Harley). Any other game good but a bit shitty at end of a GF when opponents can’t feel any lower. IMO anyway.

Should get massive kudos for coaching the misfits, particularly with their mixed background, to becoming consistently one of best defensive units.
To be fair maxwell sent a picture of himself holding up the cup to Thompson and the club after the ‘10 win in response to them not drafting him and beating them in the finals

Scarlo rightly gave it back to him because of that flog act

Last edited:

True or urban myth? Has Thompson or Scarlett said that ?
I remember it being confirmed in a newspaper article years ago , I’ll try and find it

edit : might had just been this unless something else comes up

In 2002, Geelong coach Mark Thompson broke Maxwell's heart when he told him the Cats wouldn't draft him after Maxwell had trained at Kardinia Park for three weeks.

Doug Maxwell will never forget it.

"You know I was pretty dark on 'Bomber' Thompson that night," he said.

"When Nick came home he was gutted. I'd still love to, to this day, see Nick holding up the cup.

"And if he did, I'd take a photo and post it to all who doubted him."

Still * Maxwell I can’t stand him

The assistants may also be looking after their own reputations if concerns cats will slide. It seems majority of senior roles go to assistants who are fortunate to work at various clubs at the time they are successful eg McRae appointed at Collingwood after a working at Hawks, Richmond.

Not great to have a dropping down the ladder cats on your CV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember it being confirmed in a newspaper article years ago , I’ll try and find it

edit : might had just been this unless something else comes up

In 2002, Geelong coach Mark Thompson broke Maxwell's heart when he told him the Cats wouldn't draft him after Maxwell had trained at Kardinia Park for three weeks.

Doug Maxwell will never forget it.

"You know I was pretty dark on 'Bomber' Thompson that night," he said.

"When Nick came home he was gutted. I'd still love to, to this day, see Nick holding up the cup.

"And if he did, I'd take a photo and post it to all who doubted him."

Still fu** Maxwell I can’t stand him

Thanks.
(Sorry to quibble but the article is an interview of his Dad and his intention-did he follow through? In any case not sure Nick can be blamed for his Dad’s actions - Plenty of sports men and women out there who are beset by actions of crazy parents).

I think people are being a bit optimistic about Scarlett being the problem. If he had such a massive influence over things then what do we pay Scott to do?

I think people are being a bit optimistic about Scarlett being the problem. If he had such a massive influence over things then what do we pay Scott to do?

True, it's not going to be the panacea for all our issues. But with Scarlett, Knights and Enright (i.e. the defence, midfield and forward line coaches) all leaving, I expect that there'll be at least some change (hopefully for the better!). Otherwise what were we paying them to do?

Thanks.
(Sorry to quibble but the article is an interview of his Dad and his intention-did he follow through? In any case not sure Nick can be blamed for his Dad’s actions - Plenty of sports men and women out there who are beset by actions of crazy parents).
Who knows I havent found anything

Cheers

It doesn't totally surprise me, both guys seem like they take no sh*t and the role of CEO would clearly trump that of assistant coach

I love Scarlett the player and no doubt one of our greatest - but Scarlett the coach hasn't really given the same impression. Just feel like he's much more polarising than you'd necessarily want from a coach/assistant coach and wouldn't be surprised if he had a stronger voice in that coaches boxes than some may think

Scarlett is good with developing some of the players and deserves credit there but from what i know (from someone who does know) he is very abrasive with the rest of the team..thinks his ideas are always the best ones..other staff find him hard to deal with, and as Scott tends to listen to him more than he does any of the other coaches thats been an issue. He was a Scott hire originally..hocking wasnt a fan of it at the time but he didnt have the level of power he does now..so i wasnt surprised once he took cooks seat that scarlett left...it was jump or be pushed in essence. That said i wish him the best for the future i think hocking has 100 % made the right call..scarlett will always be a geelong person and deserves credit for all he has done in that regard.

Scarlett is good with developing some of the players and deserves credit there but from what i know (from someone who does know) he is very abrasive with the rest of the team..thinks his ideas are always the best ones..other staff find him hard to deal with, and as Scott tends to listen to him more than he does any of the other coaches thats been an issue. He was a Scott hire originally..hocking wasnt a fan of it at the time but he didnt have the level of power he does now..so i wasnt surprised once he took cooks seat that scarlett left...it was jump or be pushed in essence. That said i wish him the best for the future i think hocking has 100 % made the right call..scarlett will always be a geelong person and deserves credit for all he has done in that regard.
It would be an utterly untenable - ridiculous - situation if the CEO had the power to hire and fire assistant coaches without the approval or consent of the head coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One reason i think and i hope - why Geel havent made any appointments or even news about possibles - is they could be looking at assistants who are involved in the GF teams - so no news obviously till the GF game is completed

I hope particularly they are looking at the Melbourne club assistants

The proof is in the pudding - and obviously you have to have the talented players to do it - but they play attractive football . Even the past 3-4 years ( and havent allways finished high on the ladder ) when they play us - ive allways thought they have got a good system ( they have actually got a system ) of moving the ball from one end of the ground to the other- with actual purpose . Where as Geel - apart from that short passing stuff ( which breaks down under finals pressure ) the Cats havent got a system - that moving the ball into the Geel forwardline has been an agony to watch for years

The other thing about Melb ( and at this stage they havent won the GF ) but Goodwin impressed me - when he said this week - re the 2 week gap - where a club that trains really hard - he said we take the risk they could get injured - and none of them have so far . He also said with that hard training - and a few other things - they are very confident they have got a brand of football that stands up

So obviously i would like that at Geel

There's things in the above that don't really surprise me, especially around Scott being the one to bring in Scarlett, giving priority to his ideas etc

And that's just from listening to Scott speak over recent years, and when he spoke about his assistants it felt like we always heard more about Scarlett than the others - I remember following our clash with Melbourne a few years back where Tuohy kicked the goal after the siren to win, that Scott made mention of Scarlett's involvement with that decision to move Tuohy forward in the last

I don't really recall hearing Scott speak in the same manner about the other assistants - I'm aware we hear from the assistant coaches at various times, like in radio interviews, articles etc, but not so much directly from Scott

One reason i think and i hope - why Geel havent made any appointments or even news about possibles - is they could be looking at assistants who are involved in the GF teams - so no news obviously till the GF game is completed

I hope particularly they are looking at the Melbourne club assistants

The proof is in the pudding - and obviously you have to have the talented players to do it - but they play attractive football . Even the past 3-4 years ( and havent allways finished high on the ladder ) when they play us - ive allways thought they have got a good system ( they have actually got a system ) of moving the ball from one end of the ground to the other- with actual purpose . Where as Geel - apart from that short passing stuff ( which breaks down under finals pressure ) the Cats havent got a system - that moving the ball into the Geel forwardline has been an agony to watch for years

The other thing about Melb ( and at this stage they havent won the GF ) but Goodwin impressed me - when he said this week - re the 2 week gap - where a club that trains really hard - he said we take the risk they could get injured - and none of them have so far . He also said with that hard training - and a few other things - they are very confident they have got a brand of football that stands up

So obviously i would like that at Geel

I wonder if Scott can get Ross Lyon on board as an assistant, while he waits for the next senior gig. They definitely get on. What a popular duo they would be in the footy world.

I wonder if Scott can get Ross Lyon on board as an assistant, while he waits for the next senior gig. They definitely get on. What a popular duo they would be in the footy world.
How do we know they get on?

Lyon was his assistant in 2017 for the international rules and since then they are always pumping each other up in the media… particularly Lyon about Scott on footy classified.

Lyon has a good footy brain but i think he is happy with his media roles i doubt he goes into assistant coaching.

Unfortunately, a common occurrence - that a champion player with a hard edge is intemperate, abrasive and intolerant in coaching. Langer with the Australian cricket side a great example.
Fortunately, also plenty of examples where such folks learned their lesson and made the changes to become outstanding leaders.

Anything that makes the club better is a good thing.

I think that the Club for a long time thought that supporters were happy with competitiveness and the ability to get to finals and maybe luck a win. And supporters probably were for a period of time. The club assumed that this was the way to fill the stands and keep up membership.

However, something has shifted, and the club now understands that the supporters will still fill the stands and be members - even if we are regenerating and we have losses.

We aren't expecting non-stop success, we know it's not realistic, we just want to see a clear trajectory and growth. I think that this sentiment from supporters, plus the realisation from the club - has alot to do with watching teams like Melbourne and the Bulldogs who have enjoyed the support even when they have dipped or struggled.
Cook has gone and whilst he did a wonderful job for the Club, his last few years' KPIs I have posted here plenty times - top 4, memberships, sponsorships, capital projects. Tick tick tick tick.

I hope they get good quality assistants - not just the merry go round of assistant coaches from club to club

West Coast got in Knights and J Schofield the Port midfield coach - yet Geel and Port ( especially under pressure - particularly finals pressure gets obliterated in the midfield ) - so to me the Eagles just got 2 new blokes in to freshen the joint up a bit - is it going to fix the problem though - because W/Coast has got the same problem as Port and Geel

I hope Scott just doesnt bring in 3 more ex Bris Lion buddies

Geel - you would think when they appoint those 3 new coaches - theyd be looking at applicants who could be the senior coach in 2022 - youd think they would have an eye on that angle when they make the appointments
Hocking will have a BIG say

Scarlett is being given a bad rep, based on rumours and the telephone game played here.
Mostly because he is misunderstood, he is being painted as cold, blunt, instead of correctly as ruthless.
He was a great player because he was driven to succeed, took his footy seriously and worked hard to improve.
As such he didn't tolerate fools, especially the d**k-heads and slackers and expected everyone to be driven to succeed. .
I have spoken to ex players that said he was a strong on team building but didn't like undisciplined or the selfish players.
He was a excellent judge of talent and was a strong advocate to retain promising young players the coach was considering in delisting.
Thankfully he spoke up some went on to become much loved premiership players.
His keen judgement also delivered Tom Stewart to the club.
His loyalty was always to the team and club. Perhaps he was over protective of his preferred players.
Yes! he was harsh on some, but every club needs a straight talker.... and I'm sure he had his reasons.

I think far too much is made of this, particularly the mixed background part. Who cares? The minute they walk in the door they should only be judged as Geelong footballers. Everything else is irrelevant. And the nicknames are just ridiculous. Can't end soon enough.

Scarlett is being given a bad rep, based on rumours and the telephone game played here.
Mostly because he is misunderstood, he is being painted as cold, blunt, instead of correctly as ruthless.
He was a great player because he was driven to succeed, took his footy seriously and worked hard to improve.
As such he didn't tolerate fools, especially the d**k-heads and slackers and expected everyone to be driven to succeed. .
I have spoken to ex players that said he was a strong on team building but didn't like undisciplined or the selfish players.
Listening to a recent Cam Mooney interview he mentioned that the leading teams feedback for Scarlett was that he was out drinking too much prior to 2007. As Cam said they all thought they were taking their football seriously and training hard, until they realised just how far off the best training standards they were as a group , and wasting the talent they had. So it’s not like Scarlo was always ultra professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back