Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
who would you take at their best?

matthew scarlett- 284 games, 17 goals. 3 x premiership player. 6 x all australian. 1 x best and fairest.

stephen silvagni- 312 games, 202 goals. 2 x premiership player. 5 x all australian. 2 x best and fairest.
AFL team of the century.

Both SOS and Scarlett were champion defenders, so I think it's closer in that regard. I still rate SOS the better defender, doing it one-out against some of the best forwards the game has seen, in era that focused far less on defensive support from up the ground, SOS could head out to CHB nullify one of the greatest CHF's in Carey, then move to FB to shutdown a player as dynamic as Ablett, or follow Hird into the midfield and still keep him under tabs. As a footballer, when you consider he could do all this and then still go forward and kick 10 goals in a game, it's SOS is a canter as footballer. Forget about FB, he was just such a talented footballer overall. Plus he could take a grab like this. As a football player it's no contest IMO. Closer as defenders though.

show_image.php

PS for all those dummies going to chime in with scragger comments, get your hands on some games FFS. He was so much more than that. Don't be a sheep.

Silvagni, and I don't think it's close.

And Scarlett was a phenomenal player too, which says something about how highly SOS should be regarded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SOS was the better defender but also had other strings to his bow. Best defender who could go forward I have seen. Scarlett was great but SOS better.

Both Ablett and Plugger rated Langford the best fullback they played against.

(please don't make me dig up source links, but i recall both of them claiming that at the time)

SOS was brilliant, but he got a lot of credit for his forward work, and for the fact that he landed a celebrity stunner ;-)

Both Ablett and Plugger rated Langford the best fullback they played against.

I distinctly remember when Lockett retired he was asked the usual questions and when it came to naming the best FB he played against it was Silvagni. He said it again as recently as his induction into the Saints HOF, as related in this article, this time with Doull included, but still no Langers.

Dunstall rated SOS the best FB too, in fact, rated him in the top 5 footballers that he's seen play.

I think Hird also once named SOS his hardest opponent.

please don't make me dig up source links ...

Sorry. You might have to.

Back