Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't say I ever saw the immense talent that you speak of. There must have been something there, because some whose opinions I rate were really bullish. But whatever was there was bloody subtle.
I tend to agree in that he does not scream early draft pick even if he is a solid player.

I can't say I ever saw the immense talent that you speak of. There must have been something there, because some whose opinions I rate were really bullish. But whatever was there was bloody subtle. Too subtle for me.

Yeah me either. I was excited when he was drafted, but pretty much under whelmed every game after all the hype. I know he had crap luck with injuries, but I just didn't see anything that screamed star in any VFL or AFL game he played.

That 2013 draft was a stinker. Cost at least a flag or 2 where a couple of top line players would have made a big difference. Shaz, freeman and trading in 2 2nd rounders to get Aish a few years later and then give away for peanuts has hurt.

Whilst I agree we were unlucky with Berg and Freeman, both could play and looked very good, were rated highly but the injuries were just too much for them to over come. Drafting well requires a bit of luck and we were s**t out of it. Wells, Beams and Aish were bad and we knew what we were getting and we wasted too much. Mayne cost too much in dollars but at least he has been some value. Have to give him credit for turning it around.

Whilst I agree we were unlucky with Berg and Freeman, both could play and looked very good, were rated highly but the injuries were just too much for them to over come. Drafting well requires a bit of luck and we were sh*t out of it. Wells, Beams and Aish were bad and we knew what we were getting and we wasted too much. Mayne cost too much in dollars but at least he has been some value. Have to give him credit for turning it around.
Nah Freeman was a s**t pick.

He was about as useful as a campaigner full of cracked ice, athletic (speed & endurance)headless chook just like Murray (speed) NFI about the game.

That 2013 draft was a stinker. Cost at least a flag or 2 where a couple of top line players would have made a big difference. Shaz, freeman and trading in 2 2nd rounders to get Aish a few years later and then give away for peanuts has hurt.
the 2013 draft in of itself was a stinker.

Out picks were wasted, no doubt - but we wern't to know at the time about future injuries.

Looking at the players picked after us, only a handful have made the grade:
D Sheed, P. Cripps, M. Crouch, Z. Jones, Z. Merrett, T. Nankervis and J. Sicily.

Screams of a shallow draft year, making our picks look at that much worse.

That being said, Scharenberg, if able to stay on the park, would easily be comparable to the quality of most of the above players (exclude Cripps and Merrett)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back