Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

So are you saying Matthew doesn't train hard?

This thread keeps getting better. :drunk:
Funny isn’t it? Everything I’ve heard about him has him as the most professional, diligent trainer at Collingwood maybe behind Pendles and Grundy. And that’s only maybe. Pretty sure a poster on this board had a Holden Centre tour a couple of years ago and Cloke told them that young Matt trained too much in his opinion?

Funny isn’t it? Everything I’ve heard about him has him as the most professional, diligent trainer at Collingwood maybe behind Pendles and Grundy. And that’s only maybe. Pretty sure a poster on this board had a Holden Centre tour a couple of years ago and Cloke told them that young Matt trained too much in his opinion?

Most to their credit have come around Apex36.........some might take a little longer.........and some are.......

tenordddd.gif

Still a bit dumbfounded as to why he wasn’t selected in the JLT or round one? Was there an injury?

His form, started slow.

And I still just love him...

:snowman:

Sorry, what do these distant gain stats actually mean? If you roost it forward 50 metres down the oppositions throat, and the ball gets returned with interest and ends up 60 metres over your head do your stats reflect that you gained 50 metres or lost 60? If it is the former then you make a good point, if it is the latter, and the metres gained per possession stat do not take into account the metres lost in turnover (and with Crisp, Id imagine the metres lost would be considerable), then I submit to you that this stat is meaningless and overly flattering to a long kicking turnover merchant like Crisp.

4 times, by my reckoning, Crisp turned it over by going into the centre square when it just wasn't on. Now I don't mind it when Howe or Dunn or Pendles or Wells or Sidey turn it over like this, nobody is perfect but these guys have really good skills, and they are taking the game on, and 8 or 9 times out of 10, it comes off. But Crisp and Adams don't realise their limitations, they try the high risk pass and they don't have the skills to pull it off.

Its a very serious issue in my opinion. The primary reason we are out of the 8, and have finished out of the 8 for 4 long years, is poor ball use. And we aren't going to get better until we limit the number of turnover merchants in the team

Amazing how much these players who take the game on rely on their 17 team mates to actually work to create options and when they don't it all too often goes pear shaped.

Compare and contrast the work rates in the Crows and Cats games... chalk and cheese. One had multiple team mates running to provide options, always a team mate there to support and take the dish off, the other was a flogging by the Cats.

The Bucks form part is bullshit G C........he also said on the same day on SEN that he had to work his way back into the team..........next minute he plays round 2. :drunk:

Matthew is the type of player that wins you Premierships..........I love him just in case you couldn't tell.

He wasn't too flash in the intraclub game but kept building from there. Played well in a VFL practice match the weekend we got pantsed by the Dawks from memory.

How much is he worth on the open market.. surely not much with 2 knee recos..

How much and how many yrs is a reasonable offer for Schaz from the CFC re.. it's a tricky one.

You've flip flopping on Shaz more than the Fonzies.

A minute ago he was Ronaldo. Two days ago he was not worth much. I'm bloody confused.

Kirby and I didn't see him train at all whilst we were drinking at the season launch. Pretty slack if you ask me.

I don’t think he will play KPD forever, Howes been used as one before, as has Langdon. Similar to Josh Gibson, all capable, but intercepting abd attacking is their man strength.

Heres a question, if Scharenberg had the support of say Darcy Moore and Lynden Dunn(or just 2 kpd in general), would he play better? I like the idea of him playing on the resting ruck or 3rd tall, with more of a license to attack.

Or does he play better with the responsibility of being our second tall down back?
With Langdon and Howe in the team I think it's better that he's a KPD.

You've flip flopping on Shaz more than the Fonzies.

A minute ago he was Ronaldo. Two days ago he was not worth much. I'm bloody confused.

Never said he wasn't worth much.. it's all confusing when you factor in the 2 knee recos. I think he's a star in the making. So who knows how much we're.. and others.. are prepared to offer him. Wouldn't have a clue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So are you saying Matthew doesn't train hard?

This thread keeps getting better. :drunk:

Didn’t say that. Was in reference to pre-season game where he was given a spray for his effort and it was inferred it was ‘only’ a pre-season game which means nothing. But do I really need to explain? It’s all there. No need to get all uptight.

Didn’t say that. Was in reference to pre-season game where he was given a spray for his effort and it was inferred it was ‘only’ a pre-season game which means nothing. But do I really need to explain? It’s all there. No need to get all uptight.

No one is uptight.

L.Dunn gives him a spray in a Intra Club game and that is evidence of Shaz’s intent or ability?

Spare me mate Lynden should have a look in the mirror after the last few weeks.
Very undisciplined.....costing us goals.

No one is uptight.

L.Dunn gives him a spray in a Intra Club game and that is evidence of Shaz’s intent or ability?

Spare me mate Lynden should have a look in the mirror after the last few weeks.
Very undisciplined.....costing us goals.

I agree about the lack of discipline shown by Dunn in recent weeks. I also like Shaz.

But once again my comment was in relation to comments about jlt and intra games being inferred as not being important. I didn’t say he trained badly. But if he got a spray from Dunn for not putting in then that’s ok. It’s all part of pre-season. The team as a whole needs to earn some respect. Dunn is in the leadership group. We have severely lacked leaders. I think one of the reasons why the backline seems to be functioning is because of his leadership.

Once again I’m not doubting the kid trains hard. What I am saying is that they all need to do so every week and in all situations. If anyone looks like they are taking it easy, then it’s ok to get a spray. No big deal. No conspiracy. It’s what makes a good and something that’s been lacking for a few years.

Hah that’s confirmation bias because it’s just as likely the club realised they stuffed up by not picking him round 1 (we were one defender short) and the recent comments are just the party line.

100% stuffed up.

Our best defender in 2018 without a doubt...........the numbers don't lie.

I agree about the lack of discipline shown by Dunn in recent weeks. I also like Shaz.

But once again my comment was in relation to comments about jlt and intra games being inferred as not being important. I didn’t say he trained badly. But if he got a spray from Dunn for not putting in then that’s ok. It’s all part of pre-season. The team as a whole needs to earn some respect. Dunn is in the leadership group. We have severely lacked leaders. I think one of the reasons why the backline seems to be functioning is because of his leadership.

Once again I’m not doubting the kid trains hard. What I am saying is that they all need to do so every week and in all situations. If anyone looks like they are taking it easy, then it’s ok to get a spray. No big deal. No conspiracy. It’s what makes a good and something that’s been lacking for a few years.

I am glad we are on the same page mate.

The only thing stopping Matthew now is injury or in turn a THATSGOLD curse.......because I tell you what a Dunn spray in hindsight is embarrassing IMO to someone with this blokes DNA.

Never said he wasn't worth much.. it's all confusing when you factor in the 2 knee recos. I think he's a star in the making. So who knows how much we're.. and others.. are prepared to offer him. Wouldn't have a clue.
I know all that.

It was a diversion. The 'Look. It's not only me' approach.

Page 43 of the Fonzie manual.

Last edited:
Hah that’s confirmation bias because it’s just as likely the club realised they stuffed up by not picking him round 1 (we were one defender short) and the recent comments are just the party line.
Classic Sco. That did make me smile.

I'd suggest that your comment about the party line is confirmation bias. We weren't a defender short, Moore played defence. We had the same number of defenders we've played all year. We got cut up be their smalls once Burgoyne moved forward and should have moved Varcoe back, but that's a different matter.

If Shaz was a yard off the pace in preseason, there's no way you should have picked him ahead of Howe, Dunn, Maynard, Crisp or Langdon - who all had more runs on the board at AFL level and supposedly better preseasons. We wanted to add Murray's pace which we definitely needed for the Hawks forwards and he was coming off an excellent preseason game.

So it would have become a choice between two blokes who we wanted to become kpds but had no runs on the board in the role - Shaz or Moore. Moore was always going to win that selection decision and I suspect most of this board would have made the same decision. There was nothing wrong with not playing Shaz in round one. Shaz did not have enough runs on the board to have a slow preseason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back