Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

I personally don't give a Flying F how he was form or training wise pre season. I do however give a Flying F how good he is playing now
Yeah can’t see the point about discussing round one selection
Possibly relates to the article in the Collingwood website discussing his form issues early in the season and the fantastic job he has done turning that around. Not a discussion anyone is required to enter into but I see it as a real feather in Shaz's cap and a great part of his developing game.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Shaz has been great in the air and by hand but whenever he has to kick further than 30 metres he is appalling!! I don't get it. His kicking was one of the big ticks in his game according to draft experts. His one attempt at a long kick tonight skimmed about a couple of metres above ground level and travelled about 35 metres into the arms of the opposition. I know people will cite his disposal efficiency but that is because he chips 80% of his kicks 15 to 20 metres. He has been outstanding this year but I am still shocked by the total lack of penetration in his kicking, At some stage the opposition might start forcing him to kick long.

surfer1

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2006
coogee
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
parramatta
Shaz has been great in the air and by hand but whenever he has to kick further than 30 metres he is appalling!! I don't get it. His kicking was one of the big ticks in his game according to draft experts. His one attempt at a long kick tonight skimmed about a couple of metres above ground level and travelled about 35 metres into the arms of the opposition. I know people will cite his disposal efficiency but that is because he chips 80% of his kicks 15 to 20 metres. He has been outstanding this year but I am still shocked by the total lack of penetration in his kicking, At some stage the opposition might start forcing him to kick long.
I don't agree, can't cite examples but my recollection is tonight he spotted targets upfield under extreme pressure plus 40 metres. That is in addition to lateral 100% kicks which instead of putting the recipient under duress opened up tThe next penetrating kick

I don't agree, can't cite examples but my recollection is tonight he spotted targets upfield under extreme pressure plus 40 metres. That is in addition to lateral 100% kicks which instead of putting the recipient under duress opened up tThe next penetrating kick
I'm with Domus. Playing great footy, but he's using it safely, but not yet using it well at the moment.

He had more than one long kick tonight. He hit up a few very good 30-40m passes iirc.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

CE8C55FE-B77F-4C00-B878-5D3F6861DA05.gif

RGpies

Team Captain
Dec 4, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Out of contract this year? Interesting what sort of contract he deserves if he keeps form up? Wouldn’t go over 3 years worth?? Don’t think he will go home to Adelaide or power, he’s not a need for them IMO

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
He had more than one long kick tonight. He hit up a few very good 30-40m passes iirc.

Please don’t do it Apex36.

Ask them about Langdon if you have to but please don’t defend our boy tonight.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not just Ling’s Lady

A0F2E56A-911F-4246-AE52-D3CB33FDFDFD.jpeg

I'm with neither of you.
25 touches, 16 kicks, 9 handballs, only 3 turnovers @ 84% better than the team average
How do those statistics show anything differently to what I said. I said he played great footy and used it safely. I just don't think he's doing much with the footy. We're a very unequivocal bunch. Black and white so to speak. It's either everything good or everything bad. If you are not hoping that Shaz starts to do more with the footy, then you have low expectations or standards.

I'm really not too sure why we'd be so keen to see Scharenberg kick it long down the line, he's a smarter user of the ball than that.
- Does he transfer the ball effectively across the defensive arc when required? Check.
- Does he find players in space and release players into space with his kicks? Check.
- Do his shorter options allow us to launch our forward sorties from the defensive area? Check.
- Are his kicks clean and effective? Check.
- Do his kicks regularly travel 45+ metres? Who gives a f*** as long as he's doing the above.

Another great game from him tonight.

aydo

Senior List
May 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
His kicking was great in the first half, and he made some longish, penetrating kicks as well that hit targets in great position. Lost that a bit in the second, possibly as he got more tired he looked for the easier option. Another solid game all round though!

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
How do those statistics show anything differently to what I said. I said he played great footy and used it safely. I just don't think he's doing much with the footy. We're a very unequivocal bunch. Black and white so to speak. It's either everything good or everything bad. If you are not hoping that Shaz starts to do more with the footy, then you have low expectations or standards.

Would you like him to kick 100 meters to the opposition?

Your killing me Fonzie.

Goodnight.

I'm really not too sure why we'd be so keen to see Scharenberg kick it long down the line, he's a smarter user of the ball than that.
- Does he transfer the ball effectively across the defensive arc when required? Check.
- Does he find players in space and release players into space with his kicks? Check.
- Do his shorter options allow us to launch our forward sorties from the defensive area? Check.
- Are his kicks clean and effective? Check.
- Do his kicks regularly travel 45+ metres? Who gives a f*** as long as he's doing the above.

Another great game from him tonight.
I'm not a particular fan of his ball use, but those are fair points. Will watch again to see whether he's just safely giving the ball to someone else or whether he is helping us to set up.

2 ACLS would not help

Didn't notice any safety with the ball tonight. Another solid game.

It was further development with the back 6 or 7 gelling more and more. Howe was very good, Langdon stepped back in really strongly, Shaz solid as a rock, Crisp the most improved of the group and even more than Murray is our mover off half back, Murray struggling a bit but learning and Appleby impressive over all for a rookie. Dunn few bad moments but holds the group together. Happy with the growth of our backline and Shaz as much as any.

It was further development with the back 6 or 7 gelling more and more. Howe was very good, Langdon stepped back in really strongly, Shaz solid as a rock, Crisp the most improved of the group and even more than Murray is our mover off half back, Murray struggling a bit but learning and Appleby impressive over all for a rookie. Dunn few bad moments but holds the group together. Happy with the growth of our backline and Shaz as much as any.

But as a unit, in the first half it looked like we were playing an offside trap. Press up ahead of him, it'll be offside if they pop it over the top to the bloke 20 metres out.

Back