Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

He will get opportunities this year, and will settle into a role within that back 6-7. Has plenty to offer but just needs a clear run at it

I really hope it's something straight forward like protecting him from the hard regional footy grounds at this time of year. Not going to be concerned until they either announce an injury or he keeps missing out.

didn’t play either marsh game? That’s concerning Already.

Anyone know if he played in the “practive runs” a giant Geelong and Carlton?

Why would regional grounds be harder than Etihad that's built on top of a carpark?

Didn't say it was but the risk over reward is obviously much greater, especially at this time of year. Etihad and likewise regional grounds will all get softer and heavier as the year progresses.

I dunno... after Goldsack, maybe it's the reason, but maybe it's not.

Didn't say it was but the risk over reward is obviously much greater, especially at this time of year. Etihad and likewise regional grounds will all get softer and heavier as the year progresses.

I dunno... after Goldsack, maybe it's the reason, but maybe it's not.

He wasn't picked the finals last year whilst being fit.

Does anyone know if he lacked pace as a junior, or have the injuries led to the lack of pace. He is in a difficult situation lacking the size and aerial ability to compete with KFs and the pace to go with the smaller forwards.

I had heard the club were wanting to trade him last year but there were no takers. If I was MS , I would request a move to try out as an inside mid. He has the poise, good hands and one touch ability to play a role that does not expose his lack of pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know if he lacked pace as a junior, or have the injuries led to the lack of pace. He is in a difficult situation lacking the size and aerial ability to compete with KFs and the pace to go with the smaller forwards.

I had heard the club were wanting to trade him last year but there were no takers. If I was MS , I would request a move to try out as an inside mid. He has the poise, good hands and one touch ability to play a role that does not expose his lack of pace.

I would suggest a combination of both but;

From AFL Media May 30 last year.

"After posting personal best sprint and 2km time trial times in his latest recovery, the 23-year-old will play his first match since July last season against Port Melbourne."

Given that we took Freeman at 10 and Marsh later on I don't think Shaz was ever envisioned to be lightning quick....

There is the distinct possibility that it was just a really overhyped draft and a really hit or miss top 20

With all of Moore, Roughead, Howe and Maynard currently available I can't see a spot for Scharenberg.

To me unless he's within the 22 as an undersized kpp it's pretty clear the coaching department require more rebound capability to be displayed by Matthew otherwise others are going to be preferenced in his place to provide it.

Most likely this season will be the making or breaking of him.

It’s up to him, but given opportunity he’ll show his poise and classy football brain.

but it’s so full on depth down back... the survival will be up to players making a spot their own.

I would suggest a combination of both but;

From AFL Media May 30 last year.

"After posting personal best sprint and 2km time trial times in his latest recovery, the 23-year-old will play his first match since July last season against Port Melbourne."

Given that we took Freeman at 10 and Marsh later on I don't think Shaz was ever envisioned to be lightning quick....

There is the distinct possibility that it was just a really overhyped draft and a really hit or miss top 20
He wasn’t overhyped, shocking injuries that could have ended a career Before it started.

Huge concern not getting selected this week.

From reports I read, he may have got a niggle from the carlton game which perhaps left him out of selection for last weeks match.

Potentially then Keane played too well to drop. Remember, we had to bring back the 5 origin players and also Stepho and potentially Sier. So perhaps he just is a victim of circumstance. Really hard to find 6 players to drop out of last weeks team to fit Shaz back in.

He'll need to go back to dominating VFL and bide his time.

He was on the outer come the end of last season and not being selected, with Aish preferred.
They tried to shop him around but there were no takers.
I think his lack of attack hurts his cause and that's how Noble gets selected in front of him.

Shaz did play against Carlton a couple of weeks ago, but perhaps he did pull up a little sore.

I think he'll have to work his way back in, but I'd have Murphy in ahead of him for that 7th defender spot.
A similar intercept mark and a more attacking kick and more athletic too.
Quaynor also appeals more than Shaz for his attack, albeit he's not as sound overhead.

I see Keane's defensive style as different and is more KPP like Magden as a replacement for Roughead or Moore if they get hurt.

His knees seem fine - saw the berg and his gf at my local shopping complex. Was walking around fine and seemed very happy.

It’s a tough team to break into but I’m hoping he does as he deserves a proper crack at football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even Langdon can walk and appear seemingly happy! :)

He wasn’t overhyped, shocking injuries that could have ended a career Before it started.

The best schoolboy footballer since Wayne Carey...

Though in fairness to Shaz I wasn't;t trying to single him out, I was referring to the whole top ten in general. Apart from Kelly and the Bont (who was the speculative pick bolter) who from the top ten has really made a difference to their club?

I'd still like to see him trialed in the midfield where his lack of pace becomes less of an issue. Not sure he's got the tank for that sort of role at this stage though.

I'd still like to see him trialed in the midfield where his lack of pace becomes less of an issue. Not sure he's got the tank for that sort of role at this stage though.

Imagine the lack of spread if he played on ball.

He wouldn't have the ability to twist and turn in the midfield.
He needs to keep it simple and have the play in front of him--it's either defence or nowhere for Shaz because that's his skill set.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back