Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think his kicking has become mildly more adventurous, but without question he is surveying his options far more quickly and moving the ball on almost immediately, which is a tremendous improvement.

Any chance if he has a good run stays at Collingwood ?

I think so, if he gets himself right and can play the rest of the season he should stay IMO. I know Howe and Langdon are fantastic players, however Howie will be 30+ at the start of next season, and while Langers is tracking well we don’t really know how/if he’s going to return.

Would be a terrible bit of list management if we moved on Shaz and Howe and Langers struggle to return post injuries etc

I think so, if he gets himself right and can play the rest of the season he should stay IMO. I know Howe and Langdon are fantastic players, however Howie will be 30+ at the start of next season, and while Langers is tracking well we don’t really know how/if he’s going to return.

Would be a terrible bit of list management if we moved on Shaz and Howe and Langers struggle to return post injuries etc

Why? We could then play Murphy?

Really hurts us that draft.

6 & 10 both complete busts. Super costly.

Could have drafted a Patrick Cripps or Zac Merrett or Ben Brown or James Sicily etc.
Instead we took Shaz at 6, Freeman at 10, a Langdon at 65, Jono Marsh at 77 and upgraded Dwyer and Oxley. Only Shaz is currently in the team. Langdon looked like a win but may also be a bust. Not much to get excited about. Especially with 2 rare top 10 picks and what we left on the table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could have drafted a Patrick Cripps or Zac Merrett or Ben Brown or James Sicily etc.
Instead we took Shaz at 6, Freeman at 10, a Langdon at 65, Jono Marsh at 77 and upgraded Dwyer and Oxley. Only Shaz is currently in the team. Langdon looked like a win but may also be a bust. Not much to get excited about. Especially with 2 rare top 10 picks and what we left on the table.
Gee Tommy Langdon

2018 finals series what a jet !!

Could of traded at premium price ...obviously wanted to keep him and rightly so.

Only played 8 games since ?

Think he is cooked.

Scharenberg what a dissapointing career....obviously injuries but think we wont see much more of him...2013 draft long time ago now.

Bloody collingwood

Feel for Schaz. He’s a lovely guy. To use that overworked phrase, he was ‘cruelled by injury’, and his injuries hit hardest in his developing years. Hit his confidence too. Maybe not yet in the crowded ‘what could have been’ category at Collingwood, but not far off.

I'm a big believer in looking at a players strengths as opposed to focusing on the negatives. Usually, if you play someone to their strengths, they can become quite good players.

But unfortunately Scharenberg's deficiencies at the moment are offsetting the positives by a long way. He is generally a good user of the ball and is composed. I think he could develop into quite an offensive weapon with his ball movement.

But he is just such a liability defensively. Perhaps it's the knee recos and the foot issues which have slowed him down or reduced his agility. Perhaps it's just the fact that at 190cm he is a tad undersized to be a genuine full back. At that size, he'd need agility to make up for his lack of size.

If you put him against a suitable opponent, he'll be quite good. But we simply can't select him against certain sides who have really quick forward lines. He was rightfully dropped against Geelong (they said ribs, but i would have dropped him anyway), and he had no suitable match-up against the Eagles. He just followed Darling in time and time again.

The only alternative I can think of is perhaps pushing him onto a wing in the Chris Mayne role. His ball use will be better utilized here, and he can push back defensively as the spare where his lack of speed won't be such an issue. We need to start preparing for life beyond Chris Mayne, and he could perhaps fill this void.

The only other option could be as a forward where his strong marking could be useful.

I'm concerned in both these roles he just won't have the required intensity or stamina.

He can't play as a midfielder because he is too slow and immobile.

Unfortunately, I think murphy or Keane are ahead of him.

Needs a position change as a last ditch effort to save anything remaining

Not sure what it is, but worth trying something or its lights out

Needs a position change as a last ditch effort to save anything remaining

Not sure what it is, but worth trying something or its lights out

What about a HFF role similar to T Lynch from Adelaide? While Shaz isn't a line breaking user, he's clean enough by foot to at least hit up and honour the leading forward (not something we can say about all our users in the front half). He also has good hands, and enough football IQ that I could see him drifting into and finding space in dangerous areas. With no De Goey and Elliot/Stevo being used more and more up the ground I think it would be at least worth a trial, seeing as he couldn't be any worse than JT or Atu were i50 yesterday.

Not saying Shaz is our answer in the forward line at all, it would only ever work if Mihocek and one of Cox/Cameron/Reid are playing to draw the bigger defenders away from him as he'd monstered by the main KPD's. Ironically he's best bet would be matching up on the oppositions version of himself, that being the third/mid size defender type, at least then he's fighting in his weight division.

But unfortunately Scharenberg's deficiencies at the moment are offsetting the positives by a long way. He is generally a good user of the ball and is composed. I think he could develop into quite an offensive weapon with his ball movement.

Offensive weapon with ball movement?!

He only hits safe chips, to guys in non threatening field positions.

You can kick the ball short and be damaging if you can hit 45s and use angles, but he doesn't and he is just interested in safe, ball retention. Along similar lines to Chris Mayne or Tony Armstrong.

Move on. He's not an AFL standard athlete.

I remember a few years ago, after his 2nd knee reco, that he slowly built into some really good form. He looked like he was going to develop into quite a good player. But it took him many weeks to feel comfortable at the level. There were similar criticisms early about his lack of intensity and pace. But as he played game after game, he got better and better until he really cemented his spot in the side.

Given his rib injury last round, and the 10 day break, he has almost had 2 and a half weeks off. So he looked very flat. He looked a lot better in his other games this year.

But I tend to agree that he won't make it in his current role. He plays as the "3rd defender", in which case he needs to be a lot quicker and agile so he can also play on smalls if need be. Jeremy Howe is the prototype really. Has pace and athleticism and is super attacking. But he is far too undersized to play Full Back. He just gets monstered by guys like Josh Kennedy.

So I agree that we need to try something with him. No point just writing him off for the rest of the year as we need to utilise our full list. I think we should try him on a wing or HFF. We need marking targets up forward...or better ball users going inside 50. I'd give him a few weeks in scratch matches in this role and see how he looks.

But for now, he'll be a liablility against good forward lines.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back