Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I was guilty of having my reservations at the end of last year. I was concerned by his hardness, speed and what type of forward he could actually match up on.

Amazingly (or not) , it has only taken a few games for Shaz to prove me wrong. Everything I was worried about has actually been his strengths so far this year.

That’s my boy. :):thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has a nice sidestep on him.
Going real well and it is making a difference to have this settled back 6 that has started to gel. The only issue I see is the height/ leg speed balance when we have Dunn, Howe, Langdon, and Shaz in the one backline. Not sure it will work that often against real tall/ beast forward line or real small zippy ones. So if Moore comes back to the backline... Who goes? Shaz or Langdon? Personally I'd stick with Shaz. If we come up against a small nippy forward set up then I'd like say Adams to replace one of these two on the old horses for courses basis.

Has a nice sidestep on him.
Going real well and it is making a difference to have this settled back 6 that has started to gel. The only issue I see is the height/ leg speed balance when we have Dunn, Howe, Langdon, and Shaz in the one backline. Not sure it will work that often against real tall/ beast forward line or real small zippy ones. So if Moore comes back to the backline... Who goes? Shaz or Langdon? Personally I'd stick with Shaz. If we come up against a small nippy forward set up then I'd like say Adams to replace one of these two on the old horses for courses basis.
Don't think we need to change it up too much. Howe can play small, along with Maynard, Crisp and Murray. Also feel like Moore would have the ability to play on a variety of players.
Our defence is in a really good state right now. Hopefully they can stay injury free and continue to gel. It could become a great strength of ours.

Again, just continue to play him whatever the outcomes.
He's got the smarts- he's always in the right spots and he's growing in confidence with his body.

I think it is harsh that he is still being measured against the comparisons placed on him prior to him being drafted "the best footballer since Carey". Since being drafted Matt has had significant foot surgery and two ACL reconstructions. Josh Thomas said this week that it took him nearly all of last season to adjust to the increased speed of the game having missed two seasons of football. And he had not suffered an injury. Matt has come from a long way back (akin to a Michael Holding run up). He was adjusting to the pace of the game last year. He was hesitant at times but that was to be expected as he was psychologically unsure about his knees.

He may never reach the heights that was predicted for him prior to his injuries, but does that matter?. If he is solid and plays his role then that is all we can ask of him. His stats average over his 3 games have been solid:

Kicks: 9.3; HB: 10; CP: 4.7; DE% 80%; M: 5; T: 1.25; RB50: 2; One%: 5; Intercepts: 6

Was thinking about being petty and going back to quote some posts like a certain someone did in the Murray thread, but seeing my boy play good footy is satisfying enough tbh.

Just had the footy brain power.

And looking like a man now.

Grown out of the teenager look if you know what I mean.

Adds some great versatility down there in the backline. Moore back down there and Shaz with his adaptability might see Howe off the leash. I'd like to see that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back