Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

They’re still talking 3-4 weeks to settle it down and see how he goes from there as they have ruled out surgery.
So by then if Schareberg has had a month of footy into him already, Langdon would have missed 6-7 weeks just to the end of that time frame alone.

Every chance Scharenberg can play senior footy if his form is good enough to that point.
Murphy is the other one. I reckon we've got three of them competing for that role and they're all injured at the same time.

regpies

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon he might not last long at VFL, he's a bit like WHE, too good to be down there if he's fit. Don't be surprised if he's playing one's before long because he adds much needed class. Especially with Langdon out, he's better than Langdon I reckon. Going by last time he got a run at it.

Yeah I rate him higher than Langdon. Shaz was made to be a key defender last year and he was still taking a lot of intercept marks and getting around 20pos on much tougher opponents than Langdon had.

Given the chance to play the Langdon role I think he’d be fantastic. Problem is when Darcy is out he’ll have to go back to playing tall again.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon he might not last long at VFL, he's a bit like WHE, too good to be down there if he's fit. Don't be surprised if he's playing one's before long because he adds much needed class. Especially with Langdon out, he's better than Langdon I reckon. Going by last time he got a run at it.

Different strengths and weaknesses. Be nice if we could some how combine them, Scharenberg's skills with Langdon's pace and athleticism.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know we'll never find out, and maybe they don't have set plans for Shaz, but I'd love to know what their plan is for getting him AFL ready. I know they'll say no pressure this, no pressure that. At the end of the day the VFL side has a game this week, a game next week and then the bye, which is the same as the AFL side.

If I was to have a guess I'd say we'd be looking to play him minimal game time this weekend, say 60 percent. Next week maybe 75-80 percent if he gets through this week and pulls up well.

Then I'd expect a couple more games in the VFL after the break to get him up to his usual "full game" percentage.

Target a return against Hawthorn at the MCG on Friday night in Round 16. The two AFL games prior are at Marvel anyway.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory

haydenboii

Senior List
Sep 13, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
With Shaz returning to the back 6 hopefully soon I think then we could push Maynard up to the midfield where I think he could do more damage

I know we'll never find out, and maybe they don't have set plans for Shaz, but I'd love to know what their plan is for getting him AFL ready. I know they'll say no pressure this, no pressure that. At the end of the day the VFL side has a game this week, a game next week and then the bye, which is the same as the AFL side.

If I was to have a guess I'd say we'd be looking to play him minimal game time this weekend, say 60 percent. Next week maybe 75-80 percent if he gets through this week and pulls up well.

Then I'd expect a couple more games in the VFL after the break to get him up to his usual "full game" percentage.

Target a return against Hawthorn at the MCG on Friday night in Round 16. The two AFL games prior are at Marvel anyway.

I see him only getting senior games if he becomes available before Langdon and Adams come back.

Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys Chicago Bulls
How ******* good is this. For those who didn't or can't listen to that video:

Not only getting back a good player and bloke, but a better athlete than ever; PB squats, PB repeat sprints, PB 2km.

That's insane.

If we get him back permanently, no further Injuries.. He is going to be one hell of a player.

Yeah I rate him higher than Langdon. Shaz was made to be a key defender last year and he was still taking a lot of intercept marks and getting around 20pos on much tougher opponents than Langdon had.

Given the chance to play the Langdon role I think he’d be fantastic. Problem is when Darcy is out he’ll have to go back to playing tall again.
Shaz is cleaner, but Langdon's pace makes him betyer suited to zoning off and getting to contests and helping out his other defenders. I'd prefer to play next to Langdon than Shaz.

Watching the vid with Matt it's pretty clear to see how close the club,players and coaches are.
I agree. They look to be a really tight bunch.

No wonder we are able to win games when not playing that well.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Honestly still has plenty of time to make a name for himself in the game if he was given abit of luck for once.

Finger crossed, theres honestly no pressure on him from now, hes already proven to us hes a great footballer and talent wise has proven he warranted the high draft position. Other things obviously just got into the way.

NQ pie

Debutant
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
With Shaz returning to the back 6 hopefully soon I think then we could push Maynard up to the midfield where I think he could do more damage
I agree in part, would be good to have to Maynard’s however I do think they play different roles and you need a Maynard type in defence.

Back