Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

What is your type of footballer? Jordy?
Jordy is everyone's type of footballer. But when comparing the blokes on the skirts of the team, give me Greenwoods manic attack on the footy over Shaz's wisdom. Murray's ridiculous desire to take the game on over Shaz's caution, etc.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Jordy is everyone's type of footballer. But when comparing the blokes on the skirts of the team, give me Greenwoods manic attack on the footy over Shaz's wisdom. Murray's ridiculous desire to take the game on over Shaz's caution, etc.

Nah, calm and poise and lack of turnovers is more valuable than a kamikaze, headless chook in defence.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Perhaps so but we did drop regular full back Ron McKeown for the grand final to play our tallest defender Michael Christian on him, and he certainly curtailed much of Salmon's effectiveness. Did Terry Daniher play full back on Brown in that match? In any case, we must have belted them in the middle as Tony Shaw dominated and won the Norm Smith medal.
Tony Shaw had more desire for the contest in his little finger than 90% of players from any era TGG, though NOT gifted with speed, height, power or athleticism his desire to influence the contest drove his team forward to victory.

Sfellow at his lack of conventional football weapons all you like but that was not what his football was all about.

Perhaps so but we did drop regular full back Ron McKeown for the grand final to play our tallest defender Michael Christian on him, and he certainly curtailed much of Salmon's effectiveness. Did Terry Daniher play full back on Brown in that match? In any case, we must have belted them in the middle as Tony Shaw dominated and won the Norm Smith medal.

McKeown got dropped after the second WC QF in 1990.

Salmon kicked 2 in the first quarter of the GF and until the brawl looked to be causing major headaches.

All our mids did well, as good as Shaw was I honestly thought Russell was BOG

Somebody

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Somewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nah, calm and poise and lack of turnovers is more valuable than a kamikaze, headless chook in defence.
Need both - the calm cautious players take some pressure off headless chook coz less likely to be costly if the ball comes right back after chookster turns it over.
but need the chooks to squawk it rapidly out of defense before oppo press has fully setup, thus turning defense into attack and initiating our own i50's

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

So we get to play 2 players rather than Schaz?

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Need both - the calm cautious players take some pressure off headless chook coz less likely to be costly if the ball comes right back after chookster turns it over.
but need the chooks to squawk it rapidly out of defense before oppo press has fully setup, thus turning defense into attack and initiating our own i50's
In other words, the chooks and the cautious need to be merged to create balance.

Scritchyscroony

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United FC
Headless chooks cant't squawk just so you know.

If we could cross breed headless chickens with foxes then we'd have the perfect defender DNA. Calm, cunning cautious random untackleable running
Machines.

Headless chooks cant't squawk just so you know.

If we could cross breed headless chickens with foxes then we'd have the perfect defender DNA. Calm, cunning cautious random untackleable running
Machines.
Eating themselves might be an issue with that cross-breed.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Last edited:

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
All I hope for is a few years of unhindered football so we can see what type of player he will become.
He seems to have class written all over him, but to date the footy gods have not let us see that class develop.

DopeMaster

Fair Legend
Apr 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thought Shaz was good again.

No issues vs Melbourne keeping up with leading opponents. I noted a few occasions he was wearing them like a glove. Even took a bounce or two. Great signs.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Another game where he just looks like an established senior player.

To me, and yes I’m a big fanboy, he’s an absolute best 22.

Makes few errors. Makes smart footy decisions.

Uses the ball beautifully.

So happy he’s making it sans injury.

Our best defensive group ie 6 + 1 that we mainly go for:

B. Scharenberg Roughead Maynard
HB. Crisp Moore Howe
I. Greenwood.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Give the guy a break, he needs a full year injury free before he will reach his potential.

Two occasions against Melbourne where he took a run and bounce. He may have gotten less of the footy, but he was definitely more attacking with ball in hand and his confidence is growing. I thought he was especially good with his hands in heavy traffic too. I still maintain that he has all the tools to become a very good midfielder.

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
Another game where he just looks like an established senior player.

To me, and yes I’m a big fanboy, he’s an absolute best 22.

Makes few errors. Makes checking rectify decisions.

Uses the ball beautifully.

So happy he’s making it sans injury.

Our best defensive group ie 6 + 1 that we mainly go for:

B. Scharenberg Roughead Maynard
HB. Crisp Moore Howe
I. Greenwood.
Took the game on a few times Saintly. That was nice to see.
So far and with good reason considering his injury history we have seen a bit of a conservative Shaz, but we saw some more attacking football on the weekend from him.
Otto happy.

Too early to tell what he can become yet. Perhaps next year he can get a good run at it & we will all see what he is or isn't capable of. Going to need him for the remainder of this year though that's for sure.
I'm probably in the minority here, but I still wouldn't mind having a look at him up forward.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Took the game on a few times Saintly. That was nice to see.
So far and with good reason considering his injury history we have seen a bit of a conservative Shaz, but we saw some more attacking football on the weekend from him.
Otto happy.
Saintly ecstatic.

I keep coming back to one word: poise.

He doesn’t seem to make mistakes he makes good football judgments.

And he’s very clever in the air.

He deserves a real good go at it with a fit body.

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Was really good against Melbourne and set up a few goals from poised ball use. One handball where he was on the ground and dished it out under pressure was simply amazing and was the direct reason for the goal that ensued (i believe Pendles kicked it).

I understand the criticism, such as his leg speed and conservative ball use, but I think we need to be mindful of the fact that this guy has had 3 knee recos and 2 foot operations in such a short career. I think we forget how well he was going last year before the knee reco. It is surely going to take some time for that confidence to return in both his ability and his body.

If we had Tom Langdon available, I'd have him in ahead of Shaz right now. But Shaz is holding up well, and plays a key post which allows Roughead forward. Big test next week against the Crows, who don't really have a monster key forward, but they do have agile talls like Lynch, Walker and Fogarty.

I think he'll be at his absolute best if we can get Roughead back into that defence along with Moore and Shaz can sit off to be the 3rd/4th tall.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
Saintly ecstatic.

I keep coming back to one word: poise.

He doesn’t seem to make mistakes he makes good football judgments.

And he’s very clever in the air.

He deserves a real good go at it with a fit body.

shaz kicks it sideways and short and we call it poise.

mayne kicks sideways and short and he as to go.

this not having a go at you saintly just an observation of how people see different things.

Back