Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s irritating that’s for sure! The only reason I’m not as scathing about it is because he’s still establishing himself as a senior player. In 12 months time if he’s still backpedaling across goal to receive a cheapie which he then kicks backwards or sideways I’ll be losing it.

Sort of ironic his future might be in the defensive wing role Mayne was playing last year and early this year.

I'm a Schaz fan.. Only knock I have on his game at the moment and it's a small one, I would like him to be more adventurous with his kicking. He has the skills to do it, like that laser kick to Grundy in the last quarter. More of that please..

A defender has to stop his opponent
first and foremost.......not sure what more people want from him.

The emphasis on Scharenberg being a conservative user of the ball --especially by foot-- is overstated. The majority of his possessions are overwhelmingly found on the last line of defence, at which point the imperative is less about setting up a forward play and more about moving the ball safely from a dangerous zone.

In this, Shaz is good at finding teammates in some space, and he's good at releasing teammates into some space, and he's good at not turning the ball over. The fact that he manages all this while also being more than handy in one-on-one contests makes him a gem.

Interesting tonight that we had better field position which meant Shaz was often higher up the field. He had no problem tonight looking for more aggressive forward passes when he was in better field position to justify it. So he has it in him to be more attacking and he shows good judgement about when that's appropriate.

He’s made our backline stronger.
I’m surprised he even decided to sidestep and accelerate a little more today which I thought he didn’t have—outside of his one on one marking work but he’s come back exceptionally well.

In our best 22.

He’s made our backline stronger.
I’m surprised he even decided to sidestep and accelerate a little more today which I thought he didn’t have—outside of his one on one marking work but he’s come back exceptionally well.

In our best 22.

He’s going to allow us to play one of Roughead or Moore forward also which is going to help us massively. He’s come good at just the right time.

I’d be going with Scharenberg and Roughead down back, Madgen out and Moore playing forward.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s doing really well against much bigger opponents. Whenever Moore and Langdon return I’d be interested in seeing him play forward, he’s a great mark and be the smart i50 kicker to hit a target.

Although the way Walker is going at the moment I reckon Jarryd Blair could beat him

Could be anything but every time he gets the ball I’m worried he’s going to break again. Please let the young fella have a decent run at his footy and continue to build his confidence.

This

My heart is in my mouth every time I see him go down, same with Jamie Elliot.

Yesterday’s performance was sublime and pressure was immense. If we can replicate a similar performance against the Dons, I’ll be bullish about the finals.

Hopefully stars will align with Moore, de Goey, Stevo and the optimist in me is hoping Wells can string some great finals together. Obviously he’d need to play unbelievably in the VFL next week for this to even be slightly considered.

This

My heart is in my mouth every time I see him go down, same with Jamie Elliot.

Yesterday’s performance was sublime and pressure was immense. If we can replicate a similar performance against the Dons, I’ll be bullish about the finals.

Hopefully stars will align with Moore, de Goey, Stevo and the optimist in me is hoping Wells can string some great finals together. Obviously he’d need to play unbelievably in the VFL next week for this to even be slightly considered.
The 'originals' like wells don't need a lead in to perform on the highest stage - fitness and touch are on a different level for these few.

An 80% match fit Wells is the equivalent of 110% from most others.

It's a matter of waiting and seeing.

His poise down back is what I find most pleasing. Calm headed and makes the right decision. He's picked up a yard or two and has that desperation I like seeing in our defenders.

There was a moment late in the game against the sun's where we the game was done and Shaz threw himself at two spoils and laid a tackle right on our half back line. Strikes me as the sort of Backman that just hates conceding a goal regardless of the scoreboard.

Did anyone else get sick on Dunstall crapping on about how the Crows needed to isolate Walker on Shaz? He spent the entire first half repeating it. He even went as far to say that Walker was all over Shaz early.
I thought Walker was beating Shaz early but once our mids and defence got on top, Shaz was much more comfortable against him.

9 disposals. 1 Behind.

Yes, all over him. Hahaha

Sorry to intrude, was following this thread when the poor bugger did his knee again last year and never unfollowed it, good to see Schaz back up and about again.

The sycophantic flogs who commentate football in this country would shower Taylor Walker with praise for tying his own shoes. There has never been a more overrated player in the history of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back