Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

And totally overlooked Kelly and Keane. Kelly has been played predominantly forward this year but was recruited as a potential CHB. Keane has made enormous advancements this year. Looking forward to see what 2020 brings for both of them.
Did Kelly play?

For wiser heads. Is Schazz likely to be considered for other roles moving forward? I know he was touted as a possible midfielder. Reason I ask is that I wonder if he could possibly move seamlessly into a Mayne type role. Might need to beef up a touch but has some similar traits with perhaps a touch of class.

If I was Scharenberg, I would look to become an inside midfielder. He is not quick enough to handle small forwards and not bulky enough to play KD. At AFL level, his lack of pace rules out a forward role as well. Inside mid is the only way I think he can effectively use his strengths.

Did Kelly play?

Played 4 games. Started off in defense against the Bombers but was moved forward in his next 3 games. Was starting to have an impact before he did his hammy.

If I was Scharenberg, I would look to become an inside midfielder. He is not quick enough to handle small forwards and not bulky enough to play KD. At AFL level, his lack of pace rules out a forward role as well. Inside mid is the only way I think he can effectively use his strengths.
He would be up against the midfield that played last week and Beams and Sier at the very least. I think he has to play where has been played to date. If he gets passed by others as a defender he isn't going to pass those he's up against as a mid, inside or otherwise.

I have a lot of faith in Scharenberg's ability, and I think he can become a high class player. I really want that to be at Collingwood.

But if offers came for him that were somewhat attractive, then he isn't someone at this stage that I'd be moving heaven and earth to keep, purely because we have so many others who could play his role. Langdon's availability next year will put further pressure on him for a spot, and I reckon Nathan Murphy can become a quality player too.

I don't have him ahead of Roughead, Howe, Moore or Langdon. But when he was called upon this year and last due to injuries to other players, he has been very good and very reliable. I am totally comfortable when he is in the side, and he has potential to one day surpass some of those guys if he gets a run at it.

I think when you look at players who do an equivalent role (ie Howe, Tom Stewart, Shannon Hurn), they have a bit more pace. That's going to be his biggest downfall, because he can't play on both talls or smalls. he can realistically only play on talls, and he is undersized in that regards...so can't be put on a Tom Hawkins or Josh Kennedy.

But he is a good intercept mark and spoiler.

I really hope he makes it. I think he is a good player.

He would be up against the midfield that played last week and Beams and Sier at the very least. I think he has to play where has been played to date. If he gets passed by others as a defender he isn't going to pass those he's up against as a mid, inside or otherwise.

Agree completely he’s a defender and potentially a very good one.

Whether his career is best played out at Collingwood or at another club will be something he needs to decide, along with Bucks, in the offseason.

The faith and hopes Collingwood has in Quaynor, Murphyand Kelly along with Langdon and Greenwood’s knees and Moore’s hamstrings will be a factor in that decision.

We have a very good list and sometimes good players have to look elsewhere.

For wiser heads. Is Schazz likely to be considered for other roles moving forward? I know he was touted as a possible midfielder. Reason I ask is that I wonder if he could possibly move seamlessly into a Mayne type role. Might need to beef up a touch but has some similar traits with perhaps a touch of class.

I remember in his draft year, the big knock on him was that he hadn't transitioned his game to the midfield like he was expected to. I remember Knightmare's review very clearly and this was also his concern about him.

The further injuries he has sustained limits him even further I'd say, because he also doesn't have a very good tank. He's always been towards the back of the time-trials etc.

I think longer term there is some capacity for him as a wingman, but I don't see the agility to be an inside mid. Maybe some scope as a mid-sized forward since I reckon his acceleration isn't as bad as some would say. Most likely is only ever going to be a backman though in my opinion.

Agree completely he’s a defender and potentially a very good one.

Whether his career is best played out at Collingwood or at another club will be something he needs to decide, along with Bucks, in the offseason.

The faith and hopes Collingwood has in Quaynor, Murphyand Kelly along with Langdon and Greenwood’s knees and Moore’s hamstrings will be a factor in that decision.

We have a very good list and sometimes good players have to look elsewhere.
Pretty much agree. Given Greenwood's age he wouldn't be a real threat to Sharenberg's list spot but Langdon and Aish are current threats and Quaynor and Murphy may well be in the 12 months or so. I haven't see Kelly.

Bottom line is he was dropped and has to fight his way back against a few others who want the spot but it's the only spot he's going to occupy at Collingwood IMO.

From a club perspective he would have to be tradable albeit his injuries would reduce his market value. I'd love to see us trade back into the first round even if it took a few back to back deals.

Last edited:
Matty is pure quality unfortunately the footy gods have not been kind to him over the years. Now a player in the middle of his career with not much field time to show for all his hard work and dedication.

I feel deeply sorry for his predicament but list spots are important and if others have gone past him it's hardly the clubs fault and they must deal with list management from a totally dispassionate prospective.

Feel good vibes from his making it but sadly clubs flags aren't won on feel good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember in his draft year, the big knock on him was that he hadn't transitioned his game to the midfield like he was expected to. I remember Knightmare's review very clearly and this was also his concern about him.

The further injuries he has sustained limits him even further I'd say, because he also doesn't have a very good tank. He's always been towards the back of the time-trials etc.

I think longer term there is some capacity for him as a wingman, but I don't see the agility to be an inside mid. Maybe some scope as a mid-sized forward since I reckon his acceleration isn't as bad as some would say. Most likely is only ever going to be a backman though in my opinion.
Thanks DaVe86. Overlooked the “tank” factor.

So it would seem that Matt probably sets his sights on the role Langdon has been playing, which for mine would still be preferable to him going up against KP forwards. I guess Langdon’s knee issues make this a real possibility.
If there’s a club that values his poise, courage, commitment and diligence and other factors sway him then I’ll wish him well. Deserves some luck.

So it would seem that Matt probably sets his sights on the role Langdon has been playing, which for mine would still be preferable to him going up against KP forwards. I guess Langdon’s knee issues make this a real possibility.
If there’s a club that values his poise, courage, commitment and diligence and other factors sway him then I’ll wish him well. Deserves some luck.

The fact is that we rarely have our best 4 defenders all available. All of Langdon, Moore and Howe have missed chunks of footy. Shaz is 5th in line at the moment. He's fantastic depth, and I'm very confident with him in one of those roles. But we don't always play 4 tall defenders, we often go with 3. So even with Langdon out at the moment, he is still just on the outer.

Most players would seek opportunities elsewhere if that was the case. I hope we keep him because I think he'll keep improving if his body lets him.

The fact is that we rarely have our best 4 defenders all available. All of Langdon, Moore and Howe have missed chunks of footy. Shaz is 5th in line at the moment. He's fantastic depth, and I'm very confident with him in one of those roles. But we don't always play 4 tall defenders, we often go with 3. So even with Langdon out at the moment, he is still just on the outer.

Most players would seek opportunities elsewhere if that was the case. I hope we keep him because I think he'll keep improving if his body lets him.

Agreed.

As much as I admire Shaz I can't see him ever overtaking Langdon or Howe because they are both deceptively fast which lets them play against the smaller nimble types.

I hope he stays because by all accounts he's a quality man and a talented footballer.

Defenders:

Matt still has plenty of time ahead of him, still really just progressing back from his latest knee injury; he will be a better player again next season but, he is still no certainty. There is competition for his slot when we have a full list, with pace being his achilies heel

Roughy, been the recruit of the year, very reliable and could go around for a couple more seasons yet, inadvertantly, he has probably hurt Dunn's chances.

I'd like to see Dunn become an on-field leader in our VFL side, TBH I can't see him coming back to AFL level

Langdon should be back and fine for the start of 2020

Keane is an interesting one, by all reports he shows a bit and is coming along nicely

Madgen, not sure if he will make it or not, he certainly doesn't look polished but, did all that was asked of him this year. Needs to keep improving and if he does then he is a chance to become a regular senior player

Greenwood, had a fantastic year but, probably only has a year or two left in him at this level

Howe, made himself a Collingwood legend and currently at the height of his powers. Expect two or three more years at top level

Maynard, the grunt, a genuine star of our side and has plenty of good years ahead. Looks a back-line general but can go into the guts

Goldy, a great servant and premiership player retires

Kelly, haven't seen enough of him yet

Aish, looks to have cemented a place for himself across half back if he can remain injury free but may also move up to a wing in seasons to come

Reid, looks very close to the end

Crisp, one of our genuine stars with plenty of good years ahead, may move up to the midfield in seasons to come

Murray, looks a long way back from here: Noble and IQ look to have replaced him in the area's we recruited him for, (pace, run-and-carry and breaking-the-lines from out of the back half)

Murphy, promising signs but we haven't seen enough of him yet

IQ, Exciting prospect, looks to have all the requirements just needs time and experience

Noble, what a find, very excited about this lad for the seasons ahead, may end up on a wing

Not a bad crop there in my opinion

Last edited:
I think there is enough talent there for him to take on a number of roles, that said I think he is suited down back.

Defenders:

Matt still has plenty of time ahead of him, still really just progressing back from his latest nee injury; he will be a better player again next season but, he is still no certainty. There is competition for his slot when we have a full list, with pace being his achilies heel

Roughy, been the recruit of the year, very reliable and could go around for a couple more seasons yet, inadvertabtly, he has probably hurt Dunn's chances.

I'd like to see Dunn become an on-field leader in our VFL side, TBH I can't see him coming back to AFL level

Langdon should be back and fine for the start of 2020

Keane is an interesting one, by all reports he shows a bit and is coming along nicely

Madgen, not sure if he will make it or not, he certainly doesn't look polished but, did all that was asked of him this year. Needs to keep improving and if he does then he is a chance to become a regular senior player

Greenwood, had a fantastic year but, probably only has a year or two left in him at this level

Howe, made himself a Collingwood legend and currently at the height of his powers. Expect two or three more years at top level

Maynard, the grunt, a genuine star of our side and has plenty of good years ahead. Looks a back-line general but can go into the guts

Goldy, a great servant and premiership player retires

Kelly, haven't seen enough of him yet

Aish, looks to have cemented a place for himself across half back if he can remain injury free but may also move up to a wing in seasons to come

Reid, looks very close to the end

Crisp, one of our genuine stars with plenty of good years ahead, may move up to the midfield in seasons to come

Murray, looks a long way back from here: Noble and IQ look to have replaced him in the area's we recruited him for, (pace, run-and-carry and breaking-the-lines from out of the back half)

Murphy, promising signs but we haven't seen enough of him yet

IQ, Exciting prospect, looks to have all the requirements just needs time and experience

Noble, what a find, very excited about this lad for the seasons ahead, may end up on a wing

Not a bad crop there in my opinion
Can't find anything I disagree with here, thx.

IMHO and it's only my opinion, I do think Shaz is an elite talent and pending no more backwards steps will not only be best 22 but one of the first picked.

Pointless to trade him. At best we would get pick 50. With our injury problems we need every defender we have.

The huge forward is starting to disappear, defenders the size of Shaz are becoming important.

Kelly has already started with a long term hamstring, so with our medical staff he’ll likely become another Freeman.

Can't see Scharenberg playing any other role than what he currently does.

Won't be tried as an inside mid in a month of Sunday's.

Weird post sirlothie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back