Matthew Wade - how long?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice catch on day 4. Looks like old dogs can learn new tricks.
smithb7e658406679caec52255d1221b77340.jpg

Batting at 5, too. Perhaps an indication to the selectors about how they should use him if recalled.

Batting against shield bowlers too - good chance to be recalled if Australia ever plays Tasmania in a game.

Regardless of what you think of Nevill, picking players out of position seldom gets the best out of them. He consistently bats better further up the order, as can be seen from his Shield history.

What did Smith average when he was brought back into the side as a top 6 batsman?

28 - and he'd played 5 tests not 17, and he was 24 not 30+

Next!

Wade will get the summer and the Indian series to prove himself I'd reckon. Was good in the first innings. Failed with the bat but that was a very tough period. Didn't see much at all of our second innings.

Nevill scoring runs will keep him in contention. He's still got another 5 years of FC cricket in him so he'll always be a chance to play a handful of tests, especially if injury strikes. He'd need to hit the ground running with the bat. He can bat - there is no doubt about that, but at some point at the top level you actually need to show that you can bat with runs.

I think it was westernroyboy who said that Whiteman was basically the CA's annointed one, he was just horribly out of form (and Nevill was in great touch) when the position became vacant.

With Nevill now over 30 and Whiteman seemingly back in form, it might be difficult for Pete to get back in even if Wade flops.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was westernroyboy who said that Whiteman was basically the CA's annointed one, he was just horribly out of form (and Nevill was in great touch) when the position became vacant.

With Nevill now over 30 and Whiteman seemingly back in form, it might be difficult for Pete to get back in even if Wade flops.

Where is western royboy? I miss his contributions.

Fair enough - but a player with a test average of 22 is not going to get picked in the top 6.

Well, Nevill still has a better FC average than Maddinson, and much the same as Shaun Marsh and Handscomb. So....

And significantly higher than Mitch Marsh who spent almost 20 tests in the top 6...

I'll be a very happy man if neither Marsh graces the test team ever again. I'll be even happier if both Marsh boys contrives to get themselves permanently axed from the national teams. Couldn't figure out for the life of me why the selectors persisted with a player that could neither bat well enough, or bowl well enough for test cricket, even as an all rounder.

Well, Nevill still has a better FC average than Maddinson, and much the same as Shaun Marsh and Handscomb. So....

And significantly higher than Mitch Marsh who spent almost 20 tests in the top 6...

What was Bevan's first class average?

Doran is going to be the anointed one. Rough start to his shield career but made 41 and 66 in his last two digs. If he keeps scoring runs it won't take long when the alternatives are Wade and Nevill.

I'll be a very happy man if neither Marsh graces the test team ever again. I'll be even happier if both Marsh boys contrives to get themselves permanently axed from the national teams. Couldn't figure out for the life of me why the selectors persisted with a player that could neither bat well enough, or bowl well enough for test cricket, even as an all rounder.
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?

What was Bevan's first class average?
If you want to cherry-pick individuals, why not Steve Waugh? Averaged mid-20s over his first dozen or so Tests batting 7/8, scores started to improve almost immediately when he was moved up to 5/6.

He probably gets until the India series. I don't think his keeping was all that bad (though made a couple of utensil-ups), but given the rationale behind his selection he needs runs. If he can't get going with the bat by the end of the Pakistan series I don't see the point in picking him.

That's lovely and all but what does your post have to do with Matthew Wade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back