Matthew Wade - how long?

Remove this Banner Ad

He edged it to the keeper

Hmm it seems I have indeed misremembered that. Fair cop

9.1 caught behind, a bizarre shot from Haddin! He backed away and made room to a short of a length ball and tried to drive inside out on the up through the off side. The bounce was too high and he edged it to Boucher. This is extraordinary. 18/6

Still the price he put on his wicket in that situation was deplorable and was repeated through this career.

Haddin was an average player in tough game situations vs the top quality sides but that last ashes seems to have people remembering a different reality, that ashes was so crazy because it just wasn't what you expect from haddin when we were in the middle of a collapse.

Oh and as said above haddin got caught behind because he went charging down the pitch when we were 5/18, it's not like he was playing a defensive shot got a great ball early on and nicked it to the keeper.

That shot at 5/18 was the worst I have seen in my life.

Haddin was a solid player who had a few good moments and one great series, but wasn't anything that special in my opinion, purely as a player. Good guy to have in the locker room judging from his work as vice captain which probably elevates him a tad.

He was far superior to Wade though, who is bog average.

Haddin had his flaws but if that Trent Bridge Test had of gone the other way it'd be one of the finest innings by a keeper/bat.

Hmm it seems I have indeed misremembered that. Fair cop

9.1 caught behind, a bizarre shot from Haddin! He backed away and made room to a short of a length ball and tried to drive inside out on the up through the off side. The bounce was too high and he edged it to Boucher. This is extraordinary. 18/6

Still the price he put on his wicket in that situation was deplorable and was repeated through this career.
It's permanently etched in my brain. The worst shot I can remember from a recognised batsman in test cricket.

Healy is one of the more over-rated keepers we have had. He just happened to be in residence when we had one of our strongest ever teams - Warne, Waughs, Mcgrath, Hayden, Ponting etc. WHOEVER had the job at the start of that period would probably have kept the position, because 'Don't change a winning team etc'.

Healy dropped plenty of chances - notably in the two one-wicket losses we had (vs Windies 94 and Pakistan 94) he dropped a sitter of Lara when they were 9-down, and he missed the stumping that led to the winning byes against Pakistan. Gilchrist was just as good (Gilchrist had significantly more stumpings through his career - incl more off Warne). Healy's batting was barely keeper-average - probably not good enough.

I would rate Haddin at least Healy's equal - Healy was a slightly better keeper (Haddin had his drops as well), but a far worse batsman.

"9.1 caught behind, a bizarre shot from Haddin! He backed away and made room to a short of a length ball and tried to drive inside out on the up through the off side. The bounce was too high and he edged it to Boucher. This is extraordinary. 18/6

Here's another dismissal from that same disastrous innings:
"Morkel to .........., OUT, caught at gully! This is truly bizarre. A loose shot from ........, driving off the front foot away from his body at a full ball slanting across his off stump, the thick outside edge flies to Prince at gully. He could have easily let that go. Poor stroke."

Any guesses? It was first-ball, too. (Haddin lasted 3). Score was 3/13.

Mike Hussey, actually. 4/13.

I know it's off-topic but I'd like my two bobs. I reckon Haddin was a pretty good keeper and a good batsmen. I'm not old enough to remember Healy's entire career but from what I and remember he was an exceptional keeper. Gilchrist was obviously a good keeper and an exceptional batsman. I remember Haddin's form really deteriorating through 2011-12 which included the South Africa tour but most notably the New Zealand/India home summer. His keeping dropped way off, like so bad. I remember he was missing regulation catches and stumpings and everyone around here was calling him Bad Hands. Not to mention his batting had fallen off a cliff too - I distinctly remember the Adelaide test where he came to the middle with us wanting quick runs - something he was known for - but he prodded and played defensively trying to the preserve his wicket because he'd been consistently getting dismissed too easily. As awful as it sounds after he was dropped and replaced by Wade, the illness to his daughter in some ways saved his Test career. Got a chance to get away from it all and be with his family and came back and, in my opinion, went a long to restoring the damage he had done to his reputation. His back to back ashes in 2013/14 were unbelievable as a batter and leader. Competent with the gloves and a Test batting average of 33 for someone that debuted at age 30 is a bloody good effort. He'd undeniably be the Test keeper now if he were 10 years younger. Just because he followed Gilchrist and Healy, and had an 18 month stretch of shocking form, doesn't take away from the fact that he was an a great servant to the national team.

I would rate Haddin at least Healy's equal - Healy was a slightly better keeper (Haddin had his drops as well), but a far worse batsman.
I think Haddin was good and underrated on here but this is absolutely ridiculous.

He regressed after a reasonable tour of India.

If Nevill is in good form, he should replace Wade and bat at #6, with Maxwell taking on a more Gilchrist-like role at #7.

RE Haddin - he was overall a competent wicketkeeper-batsman but not a particularly consistent one. His keeping ranged from very good to shocking as did his batting.

"ROOKIE wicketkeeper Alex Carey is looming large as one of Australia’s great Ashes bolters as selectors consider a landmark change behind the stumps.

The gloves will be off to start the Sheffield Shield season after Matthew Wade failed to score the runs he so desperately needed to lock down his position in Bangladesh."

"Unheralded South Australian Carey leads a list of potential candidates to replace him as keeper despite playing only 18 first-class matches."

"Carey is considered the best up and coming gloveman in the country and was to keep wicket on the Australia A tour of South Africa in July only to be robbed of his opportunity when the important trip was cancelled due to the pay war."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they just need to pick the best keeper at this stage. The Ashes campaign in 2015 suffered with us rushing in a succession plan mid series with M Marsh and Nevill coming in when it wasn't the right time.

Nevill has to be the best option. He's proved himself with the gloves and assuming he hits some runs in the Shield games coming up he's still scoring the most domestic runs out of the keepers. If he doesn't do well in the 5 Tests then move on after and blood one of the young guys without putting too much pressure on them but this isn't the time. If they go with Wade I can already see them dropping him after 1-2 Tests and a new guy comes with added pressure and nerves, especially if we're somehow losing.

Crazy how quickly we want to move on from keepers. Haddin doesn't play the West Indies tour and Wade does and all over a sudden he's the man, Neville kills it in shield and gets his chance, stinks it up and we're back to Wade, then Whiteman had a poor season and Carey is the next in line.
I just think if we stuck with Neville and Wade for a year, even as poor as they are they're not costing the side matches, and nurtured Whiteman, Dermott, Carey and Pierson we could be onto something.

We have to pick the guy who's the best keeper. Gilchrist was like Warne with spinners in that he gave us such an over inflated expectation of what any normal keeper/batsman should be capable of. There's not a keeper in the country who can't handle himself moderately well with the bat, so we pick the guy who's best behind the stumps, not in front of it. And then we stick with him, every good side in history has had a stable wicketkeeper.

We have to pick the guy who's the best keeper. Gilchrist was like Warne with spinners in that he gave us such an over inflated expectation of what any normal keeper/batsman should be capable of. There's not a keeper in the country who can't handle himself moderately well with the bat, so we pick the guy who's best behind the stumps, not in front of it. And then we stick with him, every good side in history has had a stable wicketkeeper.
Gilchrist wasn't the best gloveman in Australia at any stage of his test career, just that his batting more than made up for it.

You need to pick the keeper who can work with the bowlers and the captain best, not the best keeper. If you pick the best keeper but he is a loner in the team then you need someone else. Cricket is a team game made up of individuals, very rarely can conflict amongst the individuals be worked through to allow team success.

The reason we haven't been able to focus on a keeper for his keeping for very long is that boof and the other selectors remained obsessed with playing mediocre batsmen at number 6 just because they can bowl, a team that is so often 5 out all out simply can't afford the luxury of a 5th bowler at 6 and a keeper who isn't scoring runs at 7.

Crazy how quickly we want to move on from keepers. Haddin doesn't play the West Indies tour and Wade does and all over a sudden he's the man, Neville kills it in shield and gets his chance, stinks it up and we're back to Wade, then Whiteman had a poor season and Carey is the next in line.
I just think if we stuck with Neville and Wade for a year, even as poor as they are they're not costing the side matches, and nurtured Whiteman, Dermott, Carey and Pierson we could be onto something.

If we're going to pick someone and stick with them regardless why not pick someone with prospects?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back