Matthew Wade - how long?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would I melt. We'll be playing them 10v11 either way and whitewashing them in the process.
Just don't think we should change keepers until one deserving comes along.
You can't just keep rewarding mediocrity though, it sends a bad message to the team. Eventually, you have to go back to Shield form (Nevill ended the season well) or potential (Carey).

You can't just keep rewarding mediocrity though, it sends a bad message to the team. Eventually, you have to go back to Shield form (Nevill ended the season well) or potential (Carey).
Nevill is s**t and doesn't deserve another go. Give Alyssa Healy a go for all I care. Just not PM.
I'd say going back to that scrub is rewarding mediocrity.

So what if he can score against state level plebs? SOK takes bags off those hacks and he's still s**t.

Last chance saloon for whoever gets the nod, and it's probably curtains anyway for whichever doesn't get picked. I'd be surprised if Carey gets picked come Brisbane.

Wade's confidence would be very low but he's a tough bastard who can turn it around. There's a big question mark whether Nevill can carry his form into post-Christmas form into the test arena, and in any case hasn't set the world alight with the bat in the domestic matches to start this season.

I'd probably be more confident in Nevill out of the two to turn it around at test level, but the bar is set pretty low for our #7's - and there's no real confidence in that, just a gut feel particularly on their ability to handle Jimmy Anderson's swing. England will really target our lower-middle order in this series. We could go from 4-down to 7/8-down quite quickly.

At the end of the day a keeper in our test side should be picked primarily on their keeping. We have Cummins and Starc at 8/9 we don't need a "batsman-keeper" at 7.

Nevill or Carey. I'd give Carey a go. Now is the time.

So you’ve got nothing. Cool.
Seems CA don’t either. A turd like Nevill as 2nd choice is damning. Maybe rather than ruin our ears with his crap Healy could get off his arse and coach the next crop of keepers.
If you call Shield form and a better recent Test record than the incumbent 'nothing', sure.

I see Gilchrist is calling for Nevill's return. Unsurprising. It's the only logical choice.

If you call Shield form and a better recent Test record than the incumbent 'nothing', sure.

I see Gilchrist is calling for Nevill's return. Unsurprising. It's the only logical choice.
The logical choice is to pick neither.
We tried Nevill and he was crap.

But you say none of the young guys are ready and the Ashes is not the place to trial a rookie. The choice is Wade or Nevill and the answer is Nevill.
They aren't and it isn't. Hence the conundrum we have atm.
From my POV the worst we can do is to pick Nevill. Absolute scrub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And from others POV, the worst we can do is pick Wade. Absolute scrub.

The people who would know seem to be lining up behind Nevill. All the stats say Nevill too.
Well all those who would know will have to suffer the man they've backed (twice) failing (twice).
Again, I don't give a toss for his Shield stats. He did this before and failed and will do so again. The SOK effect.

It really sucks that Whiteman has had injuries and a dip in form recently. I'd love to give him the first Ashes test.

Nobody should be anointed as "next in line". If you can't maintain the form and fitness required, then one way or another, you're probably just not good enough yet.

Whiteman's Shield record isn't better than either Wade or Nevill, and he's been treading water and not improving for a couple of years now. I'm not convinced he'd be any better if picked, but age would give him more free passes with the critics I guess.

Nobody should be anointed as "next in line". If you can't maintain the form and fitness required, then one way or another, you're probably just not good enough yet.

Whiteman's Shield record isn't better than either Wade or Nevill, and he's been treading water and not improving for a couple of years now. I'm not convinced he'd be any better if picked, but age would give him more free passes with the critics I guess.
On the fitness front, it was a random finger injury that can hit any keeper. It's not like he was always hurt before that. But there's no doubt his form went backwards a little.

Triggered.

I'm not. I agree with you on Nevill. Pointless going back to him because he was selected at a mature age on the back of great shield form and couldn't bring it up a level.

Some players are just never able to do that so if Carey or whoever is in decent form in shield may as well give them a run.

The logical choice is to pick neither.
We tried Nevill and he was crap.

Happy with that, as long as it isn't Wade! The last thing I want is for a dud keeper dropping Root or someone on our pitches where wickets are hard enough to get!

Happy with that, as long as it isn't Wade! The last thing I want is for a dud keeper dropping Root or someone on our pitches where wickets are hard enough to get!

Yawn. Pay attention, really is a time lag with you.
His keeping was good on the subcontinent just hasn’t scored

Yawn. Pay attention, really is a time lag with you.
His keeping was good on the subcontinent just hasn’t scored

His keeping was good in comparison to what it was before- let not pretend it was elite in any stretch. It was passable.

Enough is enough both Wade and Nevill are similar both have major deficiencies.

Give Carey a go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back