Matthew Wade

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Matthew wade has more chance of beating Anthony Joshua in the ring than he does of getting in the odi team. He's having a good year but it's being boosted by having a swing and coming off against some terrible bbl bowling.
So why is he 150 odd runs ahead of the pack?

If the ODI squad was being selected tomorrow for the WC, and you had a choice between Wade and Carey for the keeping position, who would you pick and what statistical measure/guide would you use to back this selection up?

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Come on you're better than this. He has come in and thrown the bat.

No one is saying its a great travesty and that he is the most robbed player ever. You're exaggerating that. They're just saying his form deserves selection.

People are just saying regardless of what he achieved in 2012-2017, his current form deserves selection. By saying he has failed previously therefore he should not be reselected, you're basically denying him of his improvement and turning a blind eye to his current form. Once dropped, forever dropped approach.
Selected ahead of who? The keeper Carey had hardly been given a chance ffs and even then he has still averaged 27 and been fine behind the stumps. As a batsman? Again over who? Lead boots is playing well, Usman Koala I'm not a big fan of but his record still easily beats Wade's. And for the 100th time I'm not against picking him just there is solid reasoning as well not to.

Wedge McManus

Cancelled
Jan 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
It's a shame cricket is at such a low ebb in Oz that wade is even being discussed for a return. He had the longest run ever. Made no runs, kept awfully and is having a good 18 months batting down the order for Tassie and tonking some grade level bbl bowling. Agree Carey is terrible too. Handscomb can bat but is a real suspect keeper and drops plenty. Surely we have a gun Keeper batsman somewhere out there??

Bulldog Joe

Premiership Player
May 23, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
World cup squad should be picked on current form.

That form has Wade as the in form opener in short form cricket.

He should be picked as a batsman.

Wedge McManus

Cancelled
Jan 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
So why is he 150 odd runs ahead of the pack?

If the ODI squad was being selected tomorrow for the WC, and you had a choice between Wade and Carey for the keeping position, who would you pick and what statistical measure/guide would you use to back this selection up?
You're right. It's a toss up between a bloke who gave us nothing when he got 94 chances or a bloke that could probably take more catches than make runs right now. The lesser of two evils is Carey but I reckon having a kit bag propped up behind the stumps would do just as good a job at stopping balls and we could bring in another bat????

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Selected ahead of who? The keeper Carey had hardly been given a chance ffs and even then he has still averaged 27 and been fine behind the stumps. As a batsman? Again over who? Lead boots is playing well, Usman Koala I'm not a big fan of but his record still easily beats Wade's. And for the 100th time I'm not against picking him just there is solid reasoning as well not to.
Ive said previously he wouldn't replace a batsman in the XI - it has to be Carey. His only chance is keeper or as a reserve batsman possibly. But in the XI, I cant see him replacing anyone.

Thats where we differ - I dont buy that his performances from 2012-2017 is a solid reason enough to not select him. Not at all. Thats just ignoring his current form. It wasn't that long ago in terms of his innings that he actually scored 100. he was then asked to come in at throw the bat late in the innings. Bit harsh.

Anyway, I dont really want to argue about it with you.. I enjoy your posts so I guess we'll have to agree to differ on this one.

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
You're right. It's a toss up between a bloke who gave us nothing when he got 94 chances or a bloke that could probably take more catches than make runs right now. The lesser of two evils is Carey but I reckon having a kit bag propped up behind the stumps would do just as good a job at stopping balls and we could bring in another bat????
As I asked.. on what statistical measure/guide are you selecting Carey? You're just saying Carey is the lesser of 2 evils. Thats just a hunch selection.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Matthew wade has more chance of beating Anthony Joshua in the ring than he does of getting in the odi team. He's having a good year but it's being boosted by having a swing and coming off against some terrible bbl bowling.
Yet Darcy short and Ashton turner get selected..... must mean something in the ODI format

Wedge McManus

Cancelled
Jan 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
As I asked.. on what statistical measure/guide are you selecting Carey? You're just saying Carey is the lesser of 2 evils. Thats just a hunch selection.
Oh you're asking for my statistical guideline? Well I'll give it to you mate. My well researched and time honoured guideline to judging Matty Wade's chances is I woke up, scratched my balls, had some brekkie and thought to myself "god you're a campaigner wade". Can't stand the bloke and don't value his lucky runs tbh. See no reason to pick him and don't think he'd suddenly change from being useless in the international arena. ......... IMHO

Wedge McManus

Cancelled
Jan 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Yet Darcy short and Ashton turner get selected..... must mean something in the ODI format
I think I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you fellas. I don't want to argue with blokes who seem to be decent people. I don't like wade personally and I'm prejudiced against him. Just my perspective

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oh you're asking for my statistical guideline? Well I'll give it to you mate. My well researched and time honoured guideline to judging Matty Wade's chances is I woke up, scratched my balls, had some brekkie and thought to myself "god you're a campaigner wade". Can't stand the bloke and don't value his lucky runs tbh. See no reason to pick him and don't think he'd suddenly change from being useless in the international arena. ......... IMHO

Yep thought so. Nothing but a personal opinion on the bloke. I don't like him either but I wouldn't pick sides based on who I like.

archibald

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Meh, feels like you're reaching hard for reasons not to select him now, TBH.

Given that he's in the form of his life, I don't see the harm in giving him another go in a few relatively meaningless ODIs, to see how he fares.

They are not meaningless though are they? They are the last ODI's before the world cup, so you'd want consistency and gelling. Clearly they don't see Wade making the side as a batsman, particularly once Warner and Smith are back.

archibald

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond

One is a much, much better keeper which is the very position they are both vying for

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't really understand the push for Wade in the one dayers.

He should have been given a shot as a batsman in a depleted test side though based on over 1000 runs in 2018 instead of a hopelessly out of form Labuschagne, a found out Handscomb and a no rounder in Mitch Marsh.

archibald

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
I dont argue that.

But in ODIs, I wouldn't necessarily be picking the best keeper otherwise Paine would be in the side.

I've said it before, but if you go down the path of picking a keeper out of your best batsman, surely Handscomb gets the gig over Wade?

People who want Wade in saying 'where's the consistency in selection' and 'runs should be the only currency', well it's just wrong to suggest that's always the case. Clearly players that have extended goes of it previously find it much harder to reclaim a spot, whether thats right or wrong. Think of Burns, Maxwell etc. This isn't an isolated event, it's a rather consistent trend of selection for a while.

If I were him I also wouldn't be whinging in the press, you're bound to ruffle Hohns and Chappels fragile ego's.

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've said it before, but if you go down the path of picking a keeper out of your best batsman, surely Handscomb gets the gig over Wade?

People who want Wade in saying 'where's the consistency in selection' and 'runs should be the only currency', well it's just wrong to suggest that's always the case. Clearly players that have extended goes of it previously find it much harder to reclaim a spot, whether thats right or wrong. Think of Burns, Maxwell etc. This isn't an isolated event, it's a rather consistent trend of selection for a while.

If I were him i also wouldn't be whinging in the press, you're bound to ruffle Hohns and Chappels fragile ego's.

Its a balance though. Wade is a better keeper than Handscomb. Playing Handscomb as a keeper throughout a WC is playing with fire. It'll bite eventually. Wade is no magician either - I'm not saying that - but he is better than Handscomb.

Weighing up glove work, skill with the bat, form and a balance in the side in terms of what happens when Smith and Warner are back in, I'd pick Wade @ 7.

Agree with the whining - Ive never liked that from anyone.

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
As Ive said as well, obviously the selectors are giving Carey first crack. If he goes and dominates the next ODI series - Great and fair play to him. Im not and have never cheered for anyone to fail regardless of my opinion on whether they should be in there.

First priority its to pick an 11 that is firing and in form. 3 months out from the WC, that is up in the air a bit.

archibald

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Its a balance though. Wade is a better keeper than Handscomb. Playing Handscomb as a keeper throughout a WC is playing with fire. It'll bite eventually. Wade is no magician either - I'm not saying that - but he is better than Handscomb.

Weighing up glove work, skill with the bat, form and a balance in the side in terms of what happens when Smith and Warner are back in, I'd pick Wade @ 7.

Agree with the whining - Ive never liked that from anyone.

Fair enough. I guess I just don't rate Wade's glovework to be much greater than a part timer to then justify a place over Carey and/or Handscomb.

Speaking of the whinging, it would be interesting to know if he had a say regarding Maxwell's punishment around his comments of batting below Wade for Vic. You would hope not in light of recent events.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you fellas. I don't want to argue with blokes who seem to be decent people. I don't like wade personally and I'm prejudiced against him. Just my perspective
Yeah well mate you just can’t say he shouldn’t be picked because you don’t like him. It devalues every argument you’ve made in this thread.

Wedge McManus

Cancelled
Jan 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Cam Bancroft would probably do a better job than wade as he is a proven performer at least in his early career so far. Plus he's younger and doesn't seem to be as sensitive and emotional as wade

Back