Matthew Wade

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith and Lab are the only two that deserve to get picked for the home summer.

You can't drop everyone and I think beyond that the metric has to be who scored the most runs in partnership with Smith/Lab.

I would expect Wade would top that list pretty easy.

Wade is friends with Smith anyway right. They dropped Nevill and recalled Wade on Smith's advise. They overlook Wade all summer and then finally pick him when Smith is back. I don't think it is a coincidence. Smith will get what he wants.

Wade will be a heap better in Australian conditions anyway and looks less flawed than Head.

I've never been as bullish as his BF fan club has been on here but if he at least does ok in the last Test I'd keep him in for the start of the summer. He's an experienced an seasoned competitor and worked hard performing at the lower lever to get another opportunity. Only don't be tempted to give him the gloves and let him just bat.

If he doesn't cut it they could look to guys like Patterson or Burns I guess in the middle order.

anything could happen.

probably gets another go at the Oval.

several months before the next test.

last series to the ashes we had 6 changes (in: smith, warner, Bancroft, wade, patto, siddle - out: burns, Patterson, labs, harris, starc, jrichradson) , so who knows - it may depend on some shield form.

if he can hang on all summer and presuming paine retires, he may well get the gloves for team balance ???

he may get the chance to hangon more so because other batsman have faired worse in recent times.

but after 26 tests and an average sub 30, he may well have had enough chances. he will also be 32 soon.

let's face it burns and Patterson did nothing wrong to lose their spots.

anything could happen.

last series to the ashes we had 6 changes (in: smith, warner, Bancroft, wade, patto, siddle - out: burns, Patterson, labs, harris, starc, jrichradson) , so who knows - it may depend on some shield form.

if he can hang on all summer and presuming paine retires, he may well get the gloves for team balance ???

he may get the chance to hangon more so because other batsman have faired worse in recent times.

but after 26 tests and an average sub 30, he may well have had enough chances. he will also be 32 soon.

Yeah it could go either way. A big score at The Oval would sure his spot up.

Otherwise it will be interesting. I think the weight of this team's success this series will be longstanding. I can't see him ever keeping again for Australia though.

Burns is well placed to benefit from the openers failures. When it comes to the middle order, I think Head and Wade have fought hard this series. They've had failures and haven't thrived but have both been important to getting the team to where it is. I tend to think both have earned the chance to start the home summer and bat on some more friendly pitches.

Wade's been ok. 100, and 34 came when we were in trouble. Chewing up balls while Smith flogged them everywhere in a partnership of 105 coming at 4/44 was very handy. Then got himself out pushing the run rate towards a declaration. Previously Test he had two unlucky dismissals, especially the one that come off his elbow and bowled him. The 33 in the 2nd innings was handy when it was needed before withdrawing his bat to one but still catching the edge.

anything could happen.

November 21 is our next Test against Pakistan.

Wade and Head have both been a bit meh, like every other batsman this series bar a select few from both sides.

In saying that, they've both also chipped in at crucial times. Definitely not our biggest issues and hopefully they can put a few more runs on the board in the 5th test and gain some extra job security.

Sometimes the scorecard doesn’t do a player’s effort justice. When we were 44/4, Broad and Archer were steaming in, the ball was doing a bit, and the crowd were involved in a big way. England could have knocked us over for 60 and won the game at that point. Yes Smith played a ridiculous innings to change things but he couldn’t have done it if he had run out of partners. Wade’s 34 was worth double IMO.

Is he a long term option for #6? Probably not, but he has done his job this series.

In a series where batters have struggled, Wade has played a couple of pretty substantial innings now including a crucial hundred in the first Test. He's frustrated me at times (like how he got out in the first innings of the fourth Test) but on the whole I think you can argue he's justified his selection despite a statistically poor series (201 runs at 25 across 4 Tests). Wade and Head (and Paine for that matter) have both played useful innings hanging around with Smith to allow him to weave his magic. The importance of that should not be underestimated.

I would think Wade and Head would be the default options for 5 and 6 in the first Test of the home Summer, but it's a situation where the spots are also somewhat up for grabs if someone makes Shield runs and they don't. Smith and Labuschagne would likely be the only locks for the first Test in the top 6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he played better because he was his usual combative self as well.

English gave him some lip when he came in and he had the attitude it was a world title fight.

Message here is let players be who they are, as long as we aren’t cheating or vilifying anyone who cares?

* all this elite honesty s**t, it was never going to wash and was just something that appealed to people who don’t follow cricket and non Australian cricket nations who hate us.

top Ashes series from a Wadey, , never gives up attitude
ONLY lefty to score runs , Included 2 centuries
outside of Smith .only 1 to score a century

100%

The contest between Wade and Archer was awesome to watch. We don’t get that if Wade doesn’t give it to them in the first place.

Pretty much. As long as the players have a beer afterwards, who cares how much chirp/sledging there is? As if Archer wasn't giving just as much back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back