Roast Matthew Watson

Remove this Banner Ad

His 2.98 second sprint time when he started tells us he's not slow. Just would love to see it with my own eyes.

His 2.98 second sprint time when he started tells us he's not slow. Just would love to see it with my own eyes.

Interesting.

There has to be more to it, perhaps niggling injury? What I've seen over the last month suggests he is really slow. He's young and we know he will improve...playing key position will take time, what I don't like is that he seemingly gives up and has no agression, any player can display these attributes regardless of position, age etc etc. At the moment he is the polar opposite of Kreuzer.

The young KPP's who have taken time and received criticism whilst developing like Kennedy, Brown, Reid and Watts all have been earnest in their approach during games. At the moment Watson seems too low-key and that's the concerning aspect.

Hopefully whatever the issue is (probably confidence), he can overcome it.

Confidence might be down, so a 19 year old should be cut some slack.

Reid didn't become a star overnight.

Mick's still on Watts' back. :rolleyes:
Watson showed his straightline speed in last year's NAB Cup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gdvertXL_E

It's there, but he still needs to trim down to improve his agility and build the endurance so he carry around 95 to 100 kgs at senior level.

So bloody angry at this. The kid obviously does not have a commanding persona. He has confidence issues, and I suspect is not "one of the boys", he perhaps has an ego, judging from Juddy's comments last year. Obviously big kid right through and probably dominated at junior level and is having adjustment problems. He has some responsibility with his attitude, but the coaching staff has a greater responsibility. He is being let down, and may be finding motivation hard to come by. His NAB form at least matched Bower, Russell, Davies, Armfield, and he was left out. We have a coach who is scared of failure, and has no idea how to develop players.

When we discuss the defence, positioning is a problem for Watson, sometimes Hendo and some others. Yarran is a weapon, but as a true defender is a joke, with our injuries he puts too much pressure on his "mates". It is no coincidence that we basically have 3 defenders prepared to position and put body on line to give their mates a chop out. Their names are Laidler, Duigan and Scotland, do you notice a common thread. They learnt their craft elsewhere. Ratten and co do not know how to teach, our youngsters do not develop as quick as our rivals do. Take out our no. 1 picks ready to go and we have education issues with all of the kids. Lucas, Davies, Watson etc have not progressed as they should. I will add Yarran and Garlett, both exciting brilliant players, but far too often one way or one effort players (not always, but too often) this is a coaching issue. Armfield, Bower, Lucas and a few others have decision and disposal issues, they should be confidently drilled by now.....or gone.
Watson has skills, but is not confident with his role, gets no chop out and is too often the scapegoat for breakdowns up the ground. I would not be surprised if he dropped his bundle for Northern, he has done as much as many others, is regarded as the future and needs to be developed. Of course he needs to get tougher mentally, but the staff have a role.
I am also going to ask questions of Juddy in relation to player development. He plays see ball get ball, he is oblivious of sharing the load and developing his fellow mids. We are not the same team he joined a few years ago, he also needs to take some pressure of himself and maximise his effectiveness. I don't think I am mistaken for suggesting the biggest barrier to McLean stepping up is C. Judd, despite being recruited to comlement Judd, he gets in Juddy's way, they are both extractors, both read the game and get to the fall of the ball. Before Juddy played NAB we all had McLean best 22, he fell off when Juddy returned. They need to be used more practically, when Juddy is resting is when McLean should be in the guts. Coaching again.
I'm sorry people I am disgusted with our preparation this off season, we have a squad capable of winning a flag. We are treading water. Recruitment has been all like types of players bar 2010, and everyone expects the KP players to step up immediately. Can't understand letting go versatile Setanta instead of Bower. We all hope Rowe steps up, he is up against it based on his history, he is not our saviour.
Please prove me wrong Brett Ratten.
As for knocking the kids, you are a disgrace.

He's a big boy, probably never had to use his size out in the middle.

He was playing against kids 'til last year, and didn't have to use his 'physicality' as an idiot coach told me once.

Anthony Rocca went through it, he used to knock/bluff blokes sideways, then in his first season against grown men, they bounced back, it's all part of learning to play senior footy.

He's 19, he's got the skills, just gotta learn where to position himself and adapt.

Hasn't learned to play as part of a back six unit, once he is familiar with the blokes around him, he should be fine.

He's a 19 year old (once again), 6 foot 5 centre half back that can kick the ball to the moon.

s**t a brick.

He's a big boy, probably never had to use his size out in the middle.

He was playing against kids 'til last year, and didn't have to use his 'physicality' as an idiot coach told me once.

Anthony Rocca went through it, he used to knock/bluff blokes sideways, then in his first season against grown men, they bounced back, it's all part of learning to play senior footy.

He's 19, he's got the skills, just gotta learn where to position himself and adapt.

Hasn't learned to play as part of a back six unit, once he is familiar with the blokes around him, he should be fine.

He's a 19 year old, 6 foot 5 centre half back that can kick the ball to the moon.

s**t a brick.

This. A hundred times over.

195cm at 99kgs. He probably is carrying some excess and needs to sharpen up his cardio. Reckon he'll come good

Thank god we don't have people like the OP judging the players performances.

Almost every key position player would be delisted before they ever got a real chance.

1st game or 100th game My biggest issue with Watson is his speed. It is no where near Hurleys ,Reids,Henderson, Kennedys or Browns. If they called Hurley slow, which i don't agree with then what do you call Watsons speed?

If he can't reach a certain level of speed then i for one am worried. Would lik eto see a bit more mongrel in him as well. don't worry about afl ready,he is barely vfl ready at the moment.

dont want to be disrespectful but you are 100% right. sheesh slow is not the word for it. even so called slow afl tall forwards will carve him up his speed has to be a concern..

the kpd i really liked that draft was pat mcarthy i thought him the best tall defender available. dont hear much about him how is he travelling will he be a chance to snag a game or two this yr.

dont want to be disrespectful but you are 100% right. sheesh slow is not the word for it. even so called slow afl tall forwards will carve him up his speed has to be a concern..

the kpd i really liked that draft was pat mcarthy i thought him the best tall defender available. dont hear much about him how is he travelling will he be a chance to snag a game or two this yr.

Pat is traveling well but has struggled with injury for the most part. He still isn't as physically developed as he needs to be, especially he's legs and core strength.

I think he is still a year or 2 away from making an impact at senior level.

Watched a little of the kid as a junior on Foxtel, he didn't look like he lacked a yard back then due to his positioning on the field and getting into the right spots, was gunning for Richmond to take him with our first pick as I thought that this kid is exactly what we needed, a big bodied FB with sublime skills.

Give the kid time, most people say they understand talls need time yet on the same hand they get upset when they don't come out of the blocks all guns blazing.

Heck people still question Alex Rance and his ability to hold down FB, big talls need time, especially ones who have size issues (Watson quite clearly being a tad overweight) and needing to strip down and put on some lean muscle rather then having puppy fat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have we traded Laidler? ;)

Thinking about Watson's development rather than who is best for the position. .. Laidler would play the rebounding medium defender role just as well and he could do with a break from the talls. .. Also consider as a potential rotation option after the tough mid season run of games. ..

Thinking about Watson's development rather than who is best for the position. .. Laidler would play the rebounding medium defender role just as well and he could do with a break from the talls. .. Also consider as a potential rotation option after the tough mid season run of games. ..
My mistake.

I assumed you were replying to the previous post about McCarthy.

Paddy has the mobility to play as a loose man/third tall like Dustin Fletcher.

Laidler isn't quick enough to play as a rebounding medium defender like Russell and Bower.

I admit that I didn't see the game that the OP is referring to, but even so, I think it's pretty obvious that the OP has some sort of bias against Watson. Is he perfect? No. Who is though? What he is, however, is a teenager with great size, strength, potential and a left foot that can send the ball into orbit. That's not a bad starting point for shaping a quality key position defender for the next decade, if you ask me. The key point in that last sentence, which has also been mentioned by almost everyone else in this thread, is the word "teenager". Talls take a while to develop, which we all know (or at least should know by now). With that said, the kid is 19 I believe, and I honestly wouldn't even be getting as offended as the OP is if a SMALL was struggling at that age with only one season in the system. Watson needs to trim some puppy fat and develop a leaner body that still maintains the muscle that he has now, and work on his endurance. Doing both of those will allow him to run faster and for longer. As for his defensive positioning and so on, that will come with experience. I have absolute confidence that with this year under his belt, he will be a very capable player heading into 2013 with a fit Jamison, Bower, Laidler, Duigan, Russell, etc around him.

Laidler isn't quick enough to play as a rebounding medium defender like Russell and Bower.

He played the role quite well last year. .. He knows how to find space coming out of defence and uses the ball well. .. Was our bail out option for the switch of play quite often last year usually along side Duigan. .. That, the third man up and the press is what will suffer in his absence. ..

The Printed version of the HS had Watson having scan's due to a possible injury from Saturday's game (along with Levi Greenwood .........). Anyone else know of any possible injuries to Watson ???

The Printed version of the HS had Watson having scan's due to a possible injury from Saturday's game (along with Levi Greenwood .........). Anyone else know of any possible injuries to Watson ???

Dunno but it would explain his treacle slow running perhaps if so.

Thought Watson just has an eye injury.
If scans are required then there's something else going on. Hadn't heard of any such issues though.

Yeah I don't know what to make of the article considering they got Levi's name mixed up (with a North Melbourne player :eek:) so for all I know they could be talking about Essendon's Watson :rolleyes:. Plus it isn't in the online version (where Levi's name is corrected) so it could be a mistake (thus why I asked in here)

no doubt he has soe ability or never would have been drafted where he was.

Just questioning his intensity....like most kids who get a chance at this level. Doesn't worry me about general errors that happens with inexperienced kids - you'll always get that. I do however want to see intense competitors playing for our club.

Hope he comes good

Just questioning his intensity....like most kids who get a chance at this level. /quote]

I still think the kid will be become a good player for us.

I think it may be a case of him being a big kid and having his own way in juniors and u/18s and then all of sudden he is playing against grown men. The kids getting drafted out of the WAFL & SANFL have the advantage of playing in the seniors before getting drafted which does help.

He doesn't have that natural aggression of a robbo, kruezer or hurley and it can be a hard thing to teach.

He just needs to watch the way guys like Judd, Duigan, Ellard and Robbo hunt the footy.

1st game or 100th game My biggest issue with Watson is his speed. It is no where near Hurleys ,Reids,Henderson, Kennedys or Browns. If they called Hurley slow, which i don't agree with then what do you call Watsons speed?

If he can't reach a certain level of speed then i for one am worried. Would lik eto see a bit more mongrel in him as well. don't worry about afl ready,he is barely vfl ready at the moment.
The speed is a worry, you need it in today game, hopefully he have descent pace and out mark the opposition most of the time and out body them.

he is going to take a few years to make it, you're looking at 3 or 4 years, if he's no good by then then he is probably not going to make it.

If I was to guess Watson's history as a player I'd say he was always a guy who was taller and stronger than his opponant and a player at junior level who could play defence at junior level where the ball was not always kicked to leads and was often kicked to contests where he relished being much stronger than his opponant one on one and probably took a lot of marks and won a lot of contests. Now at AFL level he is going to have to learn how to deal with leading forwards having it delivered with perfection. He is not going to out muscle guys at AFL level week in week out so his old tricks probably aren't working for him and he is going to have to find a whole new aspect to his game.

To be honest he looks more like a forward than a defender. If someone described a player 195cm, 100kg, good hands, strong, long and accurate kick who isn't super quick and agile but isn't bad in this area either you immediatly think he must be a forward. Back men tend to be tall running machines who aren't overly bulky and have plenty of speed and agility. Henderson and Jamison have the builds and athletic qualities of backmen. Watson does not have the build and athletic qalities of a backman at this level, however he has the ideal build and athletic qualities of a big power forward, not to mention the skillset to make him a quality forward.

He's a massive kick which is great but in defence the ball is mostly kicked no longer than 45 - 50 meters so really this skill will be wasted there where as in the forward half he would have a scoring range up to 60m from goal which would make it a nightmare to stop him if he was on and be a great way to break up floods/zones and to use true CHF because he would be able to kick goals from true CHF. He could go on long 45-50m leeds, mark it 50-55 out and put it through, something we don't have and something we need. His lack of speed and Agility wont be an issue up forward like it is in defence. His size, strength and bulk will be an asset and he is a good mark and looks a lot better when his focus is on the ball and not the man. I don't know why we aren't putting efforts into turning him into a forward seeing as that is what we need but I'm sure we will cotton on to this and he will be playing forward in the 2s soon enough. All Watson needs is some education and to learn how to play as a forward. He has a lot of learning regardless of what end he plays at so may as well make it at the end he looks best and that is not down back, but saying that he will not be an instant success as a forward, he will take a bit of time.

Just an example, here are some heights/weights of some decent forwards and backs, at 195cm and 99kg and probably going to get a bit heavier with maturity it's not hard to see what bracket Watson fits into. Though I admit these statistics must be taken with a grain of salt.

Forwards
Cloke 196cm 108KG
Podsiadly 193cm 94kg
Brown 194cm 102kg
Franklin 196cm 102kg
J Riewoldt 195cm 93kg
Kennedy 194cm 99kg

Defenders
Tarrant 193cm 94kg
Taylor 193cm 92kg
Scarlett 192cm 94kg
Frawley 193cm 95kg