565.jpg

Height: 199

Weight: 88

Date of Birth: 5th June 1988

Nickname:

Twitter Handle:

Position: Tall Forward

SANFL Club: Central Districts

Recruited From: Central Districts (Pick 33 in the 2007 National Draft)

Career Games: 6 (3 wins, 3 loss)

Career Goals: 5

For more career stats click here.

More info on Matthew Westhoff

Almost a replica of elder brother Justin, he spent most of his first season last year with Central District, playing in the SANFL seniors and reserves. Made his AFL debut in round 20, playing the final three games and kicking three goals. A floating, strong-marking half-forward, he needs more time in the gym, but Port expects him to play more regular senior games this year.

Lives with Power star Justin. Currently studying Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Finance at University of SA in his first year. Said he modelled his game on “any hard-working, lead-up forward like Tredrea, Scott Lucas etc. This is the type of player I want to become”. Played A-grade football at Tanunda when he was 16. Described Port Adelaide as “a very proud club, proud of its history, does everything to strive to succeed and won’t take anything less”. Said the achievement he was most proud of was “completing school with good grades, enabling me to go ahead with further study and hopefully gaining a good career”.

Re: #40 Matthew Westhoff

NAB Cup Round 3
Matthew played an under par part in the internal trial game a few weeks back and was not selected to play against Carlton in the first week on the NAB Cup. He was a surprise inclusion against Sydney and he kicked a point and thats all I really heard from him for the night. I expect Matthew to be dropped from the squad this week and with a few Central District trial games coming up except Matthew to be in the line up for either the league or reserve side for those 3 games.

198cm and 80kg, sounds exactly like his brother...
Do you guys reckon Matthew, or even Justin are capable of putting on more weight?
Thanks.

http://portadelaidefc.com.au/tabid/6038/Default.aspx?newsid=66469
By Katrina Gill 11:19 AM Thu 28 August, 2008

ON THE RISE : Matthew Westhoff.

GROWING up in the Barossa Valley township of Tanunda sport, and football in particular, was a way of life for the Westhoff brothers.

For almost as long as Matthew, Justin and eldest brother Leigh can remember, Saturday – the best day of the week – was dedicated to footy.

In the mornings the trio would line up for their own teams in the under-age competition and in the afternoon they would follow father Danny around the Barossa Light/Gawler District as he pursued a lengthy career with the Tanunda Magpies.

"It's pretty much all we did throughout our childhood," Matt Westhoff said with a smile.

"It was footy on Saturdays and training on Tuesday and Thursday nights. I guess, now, it was meant to be."

As the brothers got older and more skilled the Saturday venue, but not the activity, changed. The threesome would make the journey down to Elizabeth to play with SANFL club Central Districts and all three, at different stages, pushed their way into the highly successful league side.

In November 2006, middle child Justin became the first of the Westhoff clan to reach AFL ranks when he was picked up by Port Adelaide at number 71 in the NAB AFL Draft.

He enjoyed a superb start to his career, with a grand final berth and a NAB Rising Star nomination, and his performance got Matthew thinking about his own future in the game.

"I nominated for the draft a couple of years ago and always wanted to play AFL, but I just had to wait and see what happened," he said.

"Last year I never thought I would be drafted and I guess Justin helped a little bit. Growing up, I always looked up to my older brothers, so it probably gave me a boost watching him do well last year."

The youngest Westhoff brother joined the Power at pick 33 in the 2007 NAB AFL draft and the club's development coaches suggested the then 19-year-old was a full year behind Justin in terms of his readiness to play AFL football.

But in round 20 Matthew, who missed 10 weeks earlier in the season with stress fractures in his feet, made his AFL debut alongside Justin.

"I didn't really expect to play AFL this year to be honest," Westhoff said.

"In that game I started on Daryl Wakelin who was playing his 250th, so it was a pretty good learning curve. I learned a lot about just how hard it is to get off your defender compared to in the SANFL."

The lanky Justin lookalike kicked 1.2 in his first outing, including a behind with his first kick in AFL. Ironically, Westhoff, who coach Mark Williams rates as 'a great kick', also kicked a behind with his first kick in SANFL league football.

"I think the two shots were from a similar spots as well," Westhoff said with a laugh.

"I didn't really think about it at the time, but now that I do it was pretty much from exactly the same spot. So maybe I need some practise from there."

Matthew and Justin have inherited some great footballing qualities from their father and fellow key forward Danny, but the softly spoken duo has also been left with some of his off-field characteristics.

Last year, Justin earned the nickname 'Humphrey' from his teammates because of his quiet nature and Matthew conceded he was no different.

"Dad's nickname is 'Rowdy' because he's pretty quiet," Westhoff said.

"I think he's passed that trait on to us kids as well. We cop it a fair bit, but it's just how we are I suppose."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's good.
In the few games I saw him play, including SANFL he plays like a CHF. Bit of beef and he could be the one we have been looking for. :thumbsu:
He needs to learn to kick the ball longer though.

#24 MATTHEW WESTHOFF

23 / 198 / 93

158010.jpg

SANFL Reserves Stats:
Games: 7
Disposals: 80
Disposal Efficiency: 77.5
Marks: 28
Clearances: 0
Tackles: 10
Inside50: 8
Rebound50: 6
Goals: 8
Best Players: 1

SANFL Stats:
Games: 7
Disposals: 56
Disposal Efficiency: 73.0
Marks: 27
Clearances: 0
Tackles: 7
Inside50: 16
Rebound50: 2
Goals: 7
Best Players: 1

Notes:

Matthew was delisted at the end of the 2010 season and redrafted onto the rookie list to finish off his 2 year contract that he signed at the end of the 2009 season. Injury and poor form riddled his season, playing just the 7 matches at league level, with another 7 coming at reserves level.

His best game for the season came in Round 3, picking up 12 disposals and 4 goals to make the best players. He couldn’t however find that form through the rest of the season, only picking up multiple goals twice at reserves level. A four week leg injury halted his year, whilst a broken arm in Round 21 saw a premature end to his season.

Matthew was told that his services were no longer required at the end of the season.

o9rabm.jpg

Previous History
2008 – N/A
2009 – 32nd
2010 – N/A

Remove this Banner Ad

Back