Prediction Matty Knights to coach Tigers

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
Abers
They should have won it in 2014 with Buddy, but everything went wrong on Grand Final day. Last year and (13 from memory too) they were killed by injuries, last year they lost Jack, Parker and Buddy heading into finals off the top of my head.

But what I love about them is the way they find and make hard footballers, Hannebery, Parker, Kennedy, Jack and Jones. Add in a bit of luck with 3 more hard tough guys in Mitchell, Heeney and Mills. But you can see the system works to produce these types and they value hard and tough mids with big bash and crash Ruckmen.

Roo's has brought the same philosophy to Melbourne, with some hand outs from the AFL, and got Oliver, Viney, Petracca, Tyson, Vince, Hogan and Brayshaw. Add in the Gawn as a huge bash and crash ruckmen and they have quickly gone past us.

On the other hand we have Dimma who has turned our best inside mid Dusty into an outside mid, Vlastuin into a half back flanker, ignored tuck for half a season in 2011, ignore Miles for half a season, continually given inside mid roles to average players like Thomas, Petterd, Grigg, Lonergan etc... Not to mention Dimma's aversion to Ruckman. Yes we got Maric which was great but our lack of a developing ruck 100% stems from Dimma's attitude towards them.

TL;DR

Sydney have a great philosophy for building a club, Dimma doesn't.
Sydney have had a great culture no doubt and I like the tough football they play. They have had a COLA that has allowed to have Buddy & Tippett on their list and academies that produced Heeney. (I know there was talk of the COLA disappearing, not sure if it has happened or not.) I'm sure we could get stewie maxfield back and get some bloods-type spirit injected into our playing group but you're not going to have the Buddy/Tippett icing.
So I hate Roos but respect his coaching style, I wouldn't be against Stewie Dew except for the Port Adelaide baggage.

Tiger_4_Life

Apr 13, 2011
My gut feel is thst there are better coaches than knighter but he would definitely be in the mix. He was on a hiding to nothing at the cheats but the feedback from the playing group was quite negative.... Which shouldn't be ignored. Hopefully he's changed a lot since then.

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
My gut feel is thst there are better coaches than knighter but he would definitely be in the mix. He was on a hiding to nothing at the cheats but the feedback from the playing group was quite negative.... Which shouldn't be ignored. Hopefully he's changed a lot since then.

Jobe loved him. Reckon it was senior guys like Lloyd and Lucas who pushed a lot of that negativity as he dropped them.

Noel Mugavin

Apr 14, 2001
Junction Oval Members. Row H Seat 69
Fitzroy FC the only team.
correct on the NZ juice kiwi. phew !

Damien is having a little bit of a rough patch, but he's had recent finals of course. As for fig jam down at the pies, he's had no success, and has basically decimated a playing list. the edwardo love child.

Lsta062

Jul 15, 2014
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Can we just not go with someone who has been tried and rejected by another club?

Let's go with someone fresh, like Sydney's senior assistant coach Stuart Dew. A couple of clubs were into him over the years but he rejected them. Plus, he was a Premiership player for Port Adelaide and Hawthorn and was an assistant at Sydney since 2010, meaning that he oversaw their Premiership in 2012 and their runner-up year 2014. He is their midfield and strategy coach and Sydney excels in the midfield, so I think that a guy like him would be a good get for Richmond.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
The Fanboi Farters

Damien is having a little bit of a rough patch, but he's had recent finals of course. As for fig jam down at the pies, he's had no success, and has basically decimated a playing list. the edwardo love child.
How is the demise of the Collingwood FC under Edwardos love child relevant to this thread let alone relevant to the RFC ?
You're not suggesting we replace him for DH as this could only be the relevance of your post?:drunk:

Eddie is a list clogger.
How is the demise of the Collingwood FC under Edwardos love child relevant to this thread let alone relevant to the RFC ?
You're not suggesting we replace him for DH as this could only be the relevance of your post?:drunk:

Calm down TI. You're not the moderator. Noel is replying to a post of mine about 4 pages back as regards the coach. He, like you, is a lover of footy with a somewhat traditional suburban flavour. He's still a Fitzroy member to this day (Fitzroy Amateurs), attends Brunswick Oval regularly and refuses to acknowledge Brisbane's existence, despite 3 flags. He and I had many a great time, and cans, on the terraces of Princes Park, Western Oval etc.

Please let him pass.

Haere Ra

Apr 27, 2014
The Fanboi Farters
Eddie is a list clogger.

Calm down TI. You're not the moderator. Noel is replying to a post of mine about 4 pages back as regards the coach. He, like you, is a lover of footy with a somewhat traditional suburban flavour. He's still a Fitzroy member to this day (Fitzroy Amateurs), attends Brunswick Oval regularly and refuses to acknowledge Brisbane's existence, despite 3 flags. He and I had many a great time, and cans, on the terraces of Princes Park, Western Oval etc.

Please let him pass.

Haere Ra
Sorry I missed the connection with the earlier post and couldn't see the point of it
I was not trying to be a mod I was confused with its relevance.
Thanks for sharing your friendship and background with an old Roy Boy.
Sorry I was seen as being offensive as that's not my tact.
A poster recently called me "A condescending campaigner " which appears to come across in my posting , but really I'm the exact opposite which shows you how easily people can be misjudge others on forums. ;)

TheDyerLegacy

Jul 18, 2009
Leeds United ; Melbourne City
Sorry I missed the connection with the earlier post and couldn't see the point of it
I was not trying to be a mod I was confused with its relevance.
Thanks for sharing your friendship and background with an old Roy Boy.
Sorry I was seen as being offensive as that's not my tact.
A poster recently called me "A condescending campaigner " which appears to come across in my posting , but really I'm the exact opposite which shows you how easily people can be misjudge others on forums. ;)
lol I think people take the internet too seriously sometimes.. What's happening down at the Burgers' mate? Haven't snagged a win yet

Apr 27, 2014
The Fanboi Farters
lol I think people take the internet too seriously sometimes.. What's happening down at the Burgers' mate? Haven't snagged a win yet
We lost Skipper Carnell and the VC to retirement
Hartley went Essendon, Best mid Vendetti went to work overseas for Bunnings . Morton was moved on bc of poor disciplinary reasons and was regarded as a cancer by the FD even though he was serviceable at VFL level.
The ex tiger couldn't make the commitment and Oscar and younas have both been overcoming preseason ops.
So we've gone back to rebuilding a new group of kids with the addition of Saad and little boy McEvoy
We lost our first three games by a kick , two kicks and a kick.
Geelong got a hold of us last week , but the commitment from the young list has been terrific.

TheDyerLegacy

Jul 18, 2009
Leeds United ; Melbourne City
We lost Skipper Carnell and the VC to retirement
Hartley went Essendon, Best mid Vendetti went to work overseas for Bunnings . Morton was moved on bc of poor disciplinary reasons and was regarded as a cancer by the FD even though he was serviceable at VFL level.
The ex tiger couldn't make the commitment and Oscar and younas have both been overcoming preseason ops.
So we've gone back to rebuilding a new group of kids with the addition of Saad and little boy McEvoy
We lost our first three games by a kick , two kicks and a kick.
Geelong got a hold of us last week , but the commitment from the young list has been terrific.
Yeah I noticed it is a very new list.. I saw Younas hasn't had the same impact as last year.. I was wondering if he will end up on an AFL list

Apr 27, 2014
The Fanboi Farters
Yeah I noticed it is a very new list.. I saw Younas hasn't had the same impact as last year.. I was wondering if he will end up on an AFL list
Probably not , but he's still only been at 70% fitness and getting short stints. I'm expecting him to be right in a few weeks. Haven't spoken to him for a few weeks , but he's a committed young chap so hopefully things will look up for him.

Noel Mugavin

Apr 14, 2001
Junction Oval Members. Row H Seat 69
Fitzroy FC the only team.
apropos my magpie aspersion, the relevance to this RFC thread is that I am merely suggesting that there should be little negative commentary on DH from his supporters as this little performance speed hump is miniscule compared to his fellow MCG tenant and suburban industry peer (sir jam) who has infinite resources at his fingertips, yet has absolutely trashed a once famous club.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
apropos my magpie aspersion, the relevance to this RFC thread is that I am merely suggesting that there should be little negative commentary on DH from his supporters as this little performance speed hump is miniscule compared to his fellow MCG tenant and suburban industry peer (sir jam) who has infinite resources at his fingertips, yet has absolutely trashed a once famous club.

From where we sit they have both done a great job in trashing both great clubs, however our great club had just got out of the rubbish bin, and now we are straight back in it

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
Him and knighter would work well

Lloyd absolutely hates Knights and Knights has far more reason to feel the same.

Knighta dumped Lloyd and Lucas off their pedestals at Essendon because they were over the hill and not part of the future, in return the Essendon old boy network ground him into the dust.

Lloyd then went into the media and campaigned endlessly both in the public forum and behind the scenes against Knights.

Thankfully, we don't ever have to worry about that mouth-breathing show pony ever turning up at Punt Rd.

Apr 27, 2014
The Fanboi Farters
Lloyd absolutely hates Knights and Knights has far more reason to feel the same.

Knighta dumped Lloyd and Lucas off their pedestals at Essendon because they were over the hill and not part of the future, in return the Essendon old boy network ground him into the dust.

Lloyd then went into the media and campaigned endlessly both in the public forum and behind the scenes against Knights.

Thankfully, we don't ever have to worry about that mouth-breathing show pony ever turning up at Punt Rd.
Not quite correct as a few events took place b4 all that and a Lot more after . The board even got behind Knights and signed him up for two more years then James and the boys with a few heavy weight corporate board members did the dummy spit which was going to lead to some board members losing their positions and so it rolled on

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
Snakes
knighta puts it bluntly to lloyd that his days as an inside 50 full foward who marks and shoots for goal or leads, dives and takes a full minute to take a kick were gone, needed to link up, be more versitile and get fitter... lloyd sooks it up pretty badly apparantley.

wart101

Mar 18, 2006
Under the fridge
Portland FC
Not quite correct as a few events took place b4 all that and a Lot more after . The board even got behind Knights and signed him up for two more years then James and the boys with a few heavy weight corporate board members did the dummy spit which was going to lead to some board members losing their positions and so it rolled on

Oct 15, 2008
Fulham FC, Real Madrid
Eddie is a list clogger.

Please let him pass.

Haere Ra
Anyone with the Mugavin surname gets a pass with me.

Oct 15, 2008
Fulham FC, Real Madrid

So basically what the older statesmen at RFC did to Wallace at the end. Except Knights was doing a good job and Wallet wasn't