Prediction Matty Knights to coach Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

I would support knights coaching. If for nothing else because we would cut him more slack than an untried guy.

I also like exciting play with an emphasis on attack.
This

17 blokes running in waves, linking up and playing fast exciting footy.

Leave Rance in defensive 50 to cover the entire opposition forward line. So yeah, exactly what he does now.

We surely can't play worse footy than we do now.

No to Matty Knights. While he might of got shafted at the Dons, he wasn't exactly setting the coaching world on fire. Apparently they were happy as pigs in $hit when he moved on from Port Adelaide across to the Dons.
Respect to him as a champion tiger player, let's leave it at that, a champ player.
Let's get the next Pyke, Beveridge etc.

Last edited:
No to Matty Knights. While he might of got shafted at the Dons, he wasn't exactly setting the coaching world on fire. Apparently they were happy as pigs in $hit when he moved on from Port Adelaide across to the Dons.
Respect to him as a champion tiger player, let's leave it at that, a champ player.
Let's get the next Pyke, Beveridge etc.

The gossip from some at the time was he ruffled feathers by not playing sacred cows in the magpies and egos got hurt (though I have also heard otherwise) Would say this is definitely why Lloyd sooked it.

He does have the runs on the board with geelong though.

Having said all that... I'm not a cheerleader for knights specifically. There could well be better candidates. What I want to avoid is having a giesch like situation where we pick the wrong guy and we start getting the sack coach threads after 18 months. Knighter has enough RFC gravitas in his pocket to let people cope with any shitness while we adjust and possibly rebuild.

Knights is the complete opposite of Hardwick and exactly the type of coach we need now.

He got shafted at Essendon after being handed a completely imbalanced list because Sheedy had kept fighting for finals with his old crew and neglected development which screwed their drafts. He still took Essendon to finals in his second year, something Hardwick didn't do at Richmond. Yet lost his job for a specific drug cheat.

Anyways, he's had 6 years of further experience that will make him a much stronger candidate now and let's face it he is a Tiger and we need bloody Tigers at this club.

I'd make Richo one of his assistants, and the rest of the staff must be the best in the land. Spare no expense we have a war chest.

Just on this topic: Given that Knights was shafted by a favourite son who returned... It would be super hypocritcal of him to do it to Hardwick. Can't see him doing it unless Hardwick walks the plank of his own volition.

Just on this topic: Given that Knights was shafted by a favourite son who returned... It would be super hypocritcal of him to do it to Hardwick. Can't see him doing it unless Hardwick walks the plank of his own volition.
Knighta won't be the guy behind the curtain with the knife in his hand IMO.

The board will sack Dimma, and knights will put his hand up with the rest of the hopefuls, no blood on his hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knights was shocking at Essendon

The only reason we liked him was because he was so bad.

If you want to hire a new coach with no due diligence you are crazy

Rather leppa than Knights and he has proved he is rubbish

I'm calling it early...

Hawks loss
Swans loss
Freo first win of year against Tigers

Hardwick will be told, his time is up and rightly so

Matty given 2 year contract to begin with

It's time to move on, it's time to get a coach who has an attacking running game plan

Bring Back the Roar!

Yep, because that's exactly what we need. One of the most over-rated players that graced the club in the most unsuccessful fashion in more than a decade to be given the opportunity. Can we have Wayne and Freezer and Brendon back as well? Oh hang on...

We would be a laughing stock if we did that.

Yep, because that's exactly what we need. One of the most over-rated players that graced the club in the most unsuccessful fashion in more than a decade to be given the opportunity. Can we have Wayne and Freezer and Brendon back as well? Oh hang on...

Bit harsh. Anyone would think you were a Fitzroy supporter doing most of the time that Knights was playing and therefore have an uninformed opinion.

In any case, what does a playing career have to do with coaching?

Not over rated at the least, not sure what footy you have watched in the past

The way he danced around Essendon for that brilliant goal in 1995 final was class!

Knights became coach at Essendon when they were a revolving door, changing the old guard and getting in new fresh new players. But as proud of a club they were they could not fathom that their stars were on their way out and a new younger breed had to be brought in. The pressure was immense, yet when they did play some good footy they would attack and play a fast running through the middle style. Unfortunately they didn't have the cattle or the defensive experience to stem the goals the other way when the ball was turned over...(Ratten was in a similar situation at CFC, good exciting attacking football but leaked goals the other way) That is why Pears, Myers, Hurley and McVeigh all recruited as defenders, but they were young then and needed time. The yearning for Hird just became too great...he never had a decent chance to built the team. Just as KB recruited a lot of the youngsters at Richmond and had he been given time I am sure we would have seen a different RFC all these years...

Difference is Hardwick has had a chance, but I must admit the addition of GC & GWS robbed him/RFC of the ability to pick up the better picks that should have been rightly ours. But again we would have stuffed it up ie Conca, Vickery... I just shake my head at the talent available after these two...

Difference is Hardwick has had a chance, but I must admit the addition of GC & GWS robbed him/RFC of the ability to pick up the better picks that should have been rightly ours. But again we would have stuffed it up ie Conca, Vickery... I just shake my head at the talent available after these two...

Most clubs can say that in hindsight about most drafts.

For example, every club overlooked Rory Sloane twice that year. Melbourne had 4 picks before Sloane and only Watts is still at the club. There were a heck of a lot of busts in 2008.

Most clubs can say that in hindsight about most drafts.

For example, every club overlooked Rory Sloane twice that year. Melbourne had 4 picks before Sloane and only Watts is still at the club. There were a heck of a lot of busts in 2008.

True, but Vickery or Conca were not the best draft picks in those positions. They would not have been picked up so early by any other club (Except Melbourne who gave us Martin, I am sure we would have chosen Trengrove)..... That is why I shake my head...

True, but Vickery or Conca were not the best draft picks in those positions. They would not have been picked up so early by any other club (Except Melbourne who gave us Martin, I am sure we would have chosen Trengrove)..... That is why I shake my head...

Vickery would have been. He was considered top 5 all year, he and Rich slid a little for Stephen Hill and Watts who came from well back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back