Mature age prospects 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't seen a thread for this yet so far this year and there are always a few gems to be taken from the state leagues every year. Last draft we saw Mitch Hannan from Footscray make an impact, Brett Eddy seems to be a solid type from the SANFL too. I'm not sure about the prospects from the SANFL or WAFL but here are the players I like from the matches I've watched at VFL level this season:

James Ferry (Essendon VFL): This guy seemed destined to be on an AFL list halfway through last year but injury hit and missed a big chunk of football in June/July/August which put the dampeners on him. He's returned to Essendon as vice captain and will probably be picked up as an intercepting 3rd tall.

Tom Goodwin (Coburg): The player I consider the best ruckman in the VFL, Goodwin is dominant at the stoppage as well as possessing a strong mark around the ground. One person said to me that if he wasn't drafted by a team that needed a ruck they would be, quote, "the daftest list management team in the league".

Brody Mihocek (Port Melbourne): A key defender that is considered by many as the best in the league. Strong overhead and rarely lets his man off the chain, Brody is a very good chance at getting drafted.

James Tsitas (Geelong): His draft class was ~5 years ago and he's come on in leaps and bounds since then. Tough on the inside, he's probably leading Geelong VFL's BnF so far this year and is probably the midfielder most likely to get an AFL gig next season IMO.

Hisham Kerbatieh (Coburg): It's probably a good thing he didn't get drafted by Carlton or Essendon last year as he wasn't read to play senior footy at that point. Small forward who creates a lot of pressure and knows how to kick a goal, I would be surprised to see him on a VFL list next year.

Others I like include Alex Boyse, Kade Answerth and Bailey Fritsch.

Would any other state league watchers contribute who could be drafted from theirs?

Richmond watched Alex Boyse very closely in 2015 and were very close to taking him straight out of the VAFA.

Clubs will look outside the square this year with a 'weaker/skinnier' draft pool.

Mitch Grigg looks a class above at SANFL level. Biggest weakness is his lack of pace but he is a brilliant extractor and bullocking mid. Think someone may look at him again this year
Big knock will be that he couldn't break into an Adelaide midfield that needed inside ball winners

James Tsitas (Geelong): His draft class was ~5 years ago and he's come on in leaps and bounds since then. Tough on the inside, he's probably leading Geelong VFL's BnF so far this year and is probably the midfielder most likely to get an AFL gig next season IMO.
I loved Tsitas as a junior. Honestly thought he should have been drafted then as he would have benefited hugely by AFL development in those years.
I wanted us to pick him up instead of Hartung

I loved Tsitas as a junior. Honestly thought he should have been drafted then as he would have benefited hugely by AFL development in those years.
I wanted us to pick him up instead of Hartung
I think it's worked beautifully for him. His biggest mistake was going to NB, as it meant most recruiters only saw him live every other week. I reckon Essendon should be right into him, suits our needs perfectly.

NEAFL

• Jordan Keras -Southport avg. 34.6 disposals 4.6 marks 5.7 tackles 10.1 clearances. 3rd in the NEAFL MVP (B&F)
  • Jordan Harper Canberra - a little unlucky to be not drafted this year, numbers a little down from last year.
  • Adam Sambono NT Thunder - technically mature age at 20, but given permission to play U18 Allies due to starting footy late at 18 and not having a chance then to play U18s. Currently the NEAFL leading goalkicker at 26 goals and 2nd in the NEAFL MVP (B&F)

Mitch Grigg looks a class above at SANFL level. Biggest weakness is his lack of pace but he is a brilliant extractor and bullocking mid. Think someone may look at him again this year
Seriously good kicking skills for an inside mid too.

I still think Matt Hanson should be on an AFL list. Really think he'd be worth a rookie pick and let him spend a couple of years with the development coaches.

Ferrys knee injuries will hurt him.
Goodwin doesn't win a lot of the footy. But is a mature option.
Kerbatieh is nowhere near fit enough for mine.
I like Bewley, Boyse and Ben Allan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously good kicking skills for an inside mid too.

I still think Matt Hanson should be on an AFL list. Really think he'd be worth a rookie pick and let him spend a couple of years with the development coaches.
Kicking is way too poor is the big knock on him.

Sam Switkowski (Box Hill Hawks)
I'll post an update on Monday as after this week I'll have seen every team at least twice, and the Mustangs small forward may feature ;)

I think it's worked beautifully for him. His biggest mistake was going to NB, as it meant most recruiters only saw him live every other week. I reckon Essendon should be right into him, suits our needs perfectly.

Tsitas is good but i think both he and atkins might get overlooked again recruiters tend to be against players that size unless their disposal is really good.

Capiron is the one from our vfl team that i reckon is likely to get drafted this year.

Will need a improve in attitude!! All reports say he is better than his brother but there are rumours of attitude issues.
I've never seen any report saying he's better than Matt, and he was never rated inside the top 5 in his draft year whereas Matt was considered a potential number 1 before his foot injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back