List Mgmt. Mature Age prospects 2018

Which of these players would you like to RECRUIT (not trade)

• Sam Collins (Werribee)

Votes: 40 24.7%
  • Josh Corbett (Werribee)

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • Shane McAdams (Sturt)

Votes: 97 59.9%
  • Michael Gibbons (Williamstown)

Votes: 30 18.5%
  • Marlion Pickett (Swan Districts)

Votes: 30 18.5%
  • Mitch Grigg (Norwood)

Votes: 62 38.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That said I would like us to change our rookie drafting philosophy. Rookie spots should be for mature aged players, delisted free agents, and developing or backup ruckman.

A rookie list containing Marlion Pickett, Michael Gibbons, Mitch Grigg and Andrew Phillips (delisted and picked up again) would be a great boost to the depth at our club, and the strength of our VFL team. Sam Collins and Haiden Schloithe are other good prospects.
I still think this is the best model moving forward.

Why do that when you can offer Polson a 2 year extension, re-rookie Kym Lebois yet again and recruit Finbar O'Dwyer in the national draft?
It was strange wasn't it? My theory is that people are hired to find "diamonds in the rough" and they take these chances because their jobs depend on it.

It was strange wasn't it? My theory is that people are hired to find "diamonds in the rough" and they take these chances because their jobs depend on it.

I agree. Too much emphasis on drafting for that one attribute or falling in love with a player on limited viewings and thinking you've got the next best thing.

Just get the best player.

Botton 3 sides should continue to be offered first go at mature age rookies. Hope that's the case this year.

Not necessarily mature age ... but are we at a point where we can take real risks? Perhaps Garlett and Lebois were genuine risks, I think DeLuca was perhaps a safer bet, a mature body which Bolton may have needed at the time.

Were we in the hunt for Stack and how would we feel if Marlion Pickett was with us? Was great today and has his first AFL pre-season coming up.

Not necessarily mature age ... but are we at a point where we can take real risks? Perhaps Garlett and Lebois were genuine risks, I think DeLuca was perhaps a safer bet, a mature body which Bolton may have needed at the time.

Were we in the hunt for Stack and how would we feel if Marlion Pickett was with us? Was great today and has his first AFL pre-season coming up.

I think we need to observe the teams at the top for a tweak in our strategy. Tigers with speed everywhere. Eagles last year after adding a lot of speed with precise kicking in recent years. Bucks plan for which he copped a lot of heat until last year is much the same. We are pedestrian paced in much of the ground and still have a few ball burners. Pace, good kicks, competitive. They aren't all going at the pointy end of the draft.

Botton 3 sides should continue to be offered first go at mature age rookies. Hope that's the case this year.
There's only one reason why we got help last year, we were below the Suns. No chance this year anyone else is getting help.

I think we need to observe the teams at the top for a tweak in our strategy. Tigers with speed everywhere. Eagles last year after adding a lot of speed with precise kicking in recent years. Bucks plan for which he copped a lot of heat until last year is much the same. We are pedestrian paced in much of the ground and still have a few ball burners. Pace, good kicks, competitive. They aren't all going at the pointy end of the draft.
Hence the pursuit of Martin, Butler & Papley (probably the slowest of the 3, but no slouch).

I still think this is the best model moving forward.

It is not new, remember many of those that didnt fire a bullet, no more certainty than picking kids.

Here is article out of Perth after the 2018 draft pointing to Sydney Stack & Marlion Pickett:

It is not new, remember many of those that didnt fire a bullet, no more certainty than picking kids.

Here is article out of Perth after the 2018 draft pointing to Sydney Stack & Marlion Pickett:
Really? Which high performing mature aged recruits have we recruited from the WAFL, VFL, and SANFL in the past?

I'll admit we've picked up a couple of delisted free agents recently who failed to impress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? Which high performing mature aged recruits have we recruited from the WAFL, VFL, and SANFL in the past?

I'll admit we've picked up a couple of delisted free agents recently who failed to impress.

From the same draft as Pickett, Josh Deluca @ pick one . Also from Subi you took Simon White & he was useful if I remember correctly. Sam Menegola was drafted from Subi at 23 by the Cats after being delisted by both Freo & the Hawks, was no instant success but has now chalked up 50+ games

My point being that drafting mature age guys is no guarantee of success - guys like Tim Kelly, Marlion Pickett, Liam Ryan were overlooked, we all didnt take them, its not criticism of any club.

it takes a strong organisation like the Tigers to take the perceived risk that bringing in a player like Marlin Pickett, unfortunately we are not at a stage where we are so take the safe options and miss out on gems like him and Tim Kelly. Hopefully this changes over the next few years.

Additionally we should be looking at poaching Ralph Clarke from the tigers who is working as an indigenous role managing the special needs that come with these guys and it is clearly paying dividends.

Nobody should be offered anything. Finish last you get pick 1 and everyone gets a go from there.

The competition is so corrupt, the draft is just another example of how much.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Only top 10 picks in the Tigers team are Dusty and Cotchin.. Team culture and coaching is way more important than perceived talent

Open your eyes, Neil Balme for one, success follows him & he didnt get a kick. See Tiges.

Coaching roundabout & success are mutually exclusive. See Blues.

How did you find your way here?

No surprise that strong leadership/coaching + core of talented players leads to success.

Can't win with only one of those.

Back