Maurice Rioli Junior

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
I think BT might have barracked for South Freo before he went and played for Richmond - where he would have been a teammate of Maurice's - think BT was the emergency in the '82 VFL grand
Could have been, I vaguely remember BT being down the club on a couple of occasions, may have even pulled the boots on a training session or 2. I’m going back to 78/79.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Some vintage TI in this clip.

A little bit of trivia here...

The guy that received the ball after TI's amazing solo effort in the centre near the end of that clip is Jamie Lockyer (also figures in the next clip - #34). Jamie has been married to my cousin since just after the 1980 premiership - Jan 1981 it was - and I was a wide-eyed 11-year-old, slack-jawed kid at their wedding as half the premiership heroes were there as guests, and I was in awe. My sisters and I all had super long blonde hair and were brown as berries (Southern European blood!) from a summer at the beach and all the WAGS were making the biggest fuss of us, and we were in friggen 7th heaven. Jamie retired after that GF (aged 23) to go pursue a teaching career, back in the days when graduates all went bush for their first posting.

Fast forward to 2007, and he's teaching at Aquinas College, and also coaching the First XVIII. He has this skinny kid, but a prodigious talent in year 11, playing in his team with mostly year 12s, who's kinda just turning up and relying on his leap, his ridiculously big hands, and his uncanny knack of finding the footy and putting it through the big sticks. He thinks, this kid could be something, but he needs a know he can't just rely on his natural talent, he needs to learn to work too.

He sent him back to the Second XVIII for a few weeks, to teach him that your natural-born gift alone won't get you far if you don't work hard to turn it into true talent that sets you apart. I think you know where I'm going... That kid?

b8856173z.1_20150930055924_000_g4gb8ua5.3_1-1b0m2u8.jpg

Freo

Club Legend
Aug 20, 2009
Somewhere between Preston Point and Bicton Baths
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Lakers

The guy that received the ball after TI's amazing solo effort in the centre near the end of that clip is Jamie Lockyer (also figures in the next clip - #34). Jamie has been married to my cousin since just after the 1980 premiership - Jan 1981 it was - and I was a wide-eyed 11-year-old, slack-jawed kid at their wedding as half the premiership heroes were there as guests, and I was in awe. My sisters and I all had super long blonde hair and were brown as berries (Southern European blood!) from a summer at the beach and all the WAGS were making the biggest fuss of us, and we were in friggen 7th heaven. Jamie retired after that GF (aged 23) to go pursue a teaching career, back in the days when graduates all went bush for their first posting.

Fast forward to 2007, and he's teaching at Aquinas College, and also coaching the First XVIII. He has this skinny kid, but a prodigious talent in year 11, playing in his team with mostly year 12s, who's kinda just turning up and relying on his leap, his ridiculously big hands, and his uncanny knack of finding the footy and putting it through the big sticks. He thinks, this kid could be something, but he needs a know he can't just rely on his natural talent, he needs to learn to work too.

He sent him back to the Second XVIII for a few weeks, to teach him that your natural-born gift alone won't get you far if you don't work hard to turn it into true talent that sets you apart. I think you know where I'm going... That kid?

Nice Yarn IP :thumbsu:

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs

I loved Jamie Lockyer as a player, back in the day.
Great post IP

Back