Maurice Rioli Junior

Remove this Banner Ad

Maurice Rioli's grandsons both play in South Fremantle junior conference, not sure they are both good enough however.
So is Maurice Rioli Junior (the late) Maurice and Robin's son or is he a Grandson of theirs ?

The pure thievery of Maurice Snr by Richmond - and then the audacity to claim him as their own - is the reason I hated Richmond with a passion since I was about 13. I. did. not. cope. I could never split Maurice and TI as my favourite player - but geez I was so happy they played on my side.

But back to Maurice Jnr - my hatred of Richmond has now returned... they've flat out stolen the son of the Great Man when he should have been ours. So many more games in the Mighty Red V, than however many he played for them.

F**ken superstar.

Would think Maurice going to Richmond probably had something to do with Mal Brown and his connections there. We did get Noel Carter from Richmond (not as a direct swap obviously) and a couple of others - Jacko (lol), Stephen Mount, and Bruce Monteath had come back the year before Maurice went.

That seemed to be the way it was done back then. There would be a bit of trading with the promise of getting a star later.

Anyway, I think Maurice Jr only qualitifies as being eligible for Fremantle because of the additional games in 2nd stint Maurice Snr had at Souths after returning from the VFL/AFL in the late 80's - where I think he wore the Number 6 at Souths and played with his brother Willie.

Last edited:

Would think Maurice going to Richmond probably had something to do with Mal Brown and his connections there. We did get Noel Carter from Richmond (not as a direct swap obviously) and a couple of others - Jacko (lol), Stephen Mount, and Bruce Monteath had come back the year before Maurice went.

That seemed to be the way it was done back then. There would be a bit of trading with the promise of getting a star later.

Anyway, I think Maurice Jr only qualitifies as being eligible for Fremantle because of the additional games in 2nd stint Maurice Snr had at Souths after returning from the VFL/AFL in the late 80's - where I think he wore the Number 6 at Souths and played with his brother Willie.
Being an ex South Fremantle supporter did not realise Maurice finished his career back at Souths - my memory must be failing me:think:. He was a delight to watch in his heyday alongside Stephen Michael and others.

So Maurice junior doesn't qualify under the father son rule as he is a grandson only??? Please clarify

Sorry I think we have both misread each other's posts.

I know of 2 Rioli's currently playing in the South Fremantle district, they are both Maurice Rioli seniors grandsons (Gavin Rioli's).

Maurice Rioli Junior is also Maurice Rioli Snrs son and he is eligible under the father son ruling at both Richmond & Fremantle.

The pure thievery of Maurice Snr by Richmond - and then the audacity to claim him as their own - is the reason I hated Richmond with a passion since I was about 13. I. did. not. cope. I could never split Maurice and TI as my favourite player - but geez I was so happy they played on my side.

But back to Maurice Jnr - my hatred of Richmond has now returned... they've flat out stolen the son of the Great Man when he should have been ours. So many more games in the Mighty Red V, than however many he played for them.

F**ken superstar.

And every time when Maurice Jnr is playing for Richmond the commentators other than Dennis and maybe BT will talk about how good Maurice Snr was for Richmond without ever mentioning Souths just to annoy you more IP...

And every time when Maurice Jnr is playing for Richmond the commentators other than Dennis and maybe BT will talk about how good Maurice Snr was for Richmond without ever mentioning Souths just to annoy you more IP...
So much truth in this statement. I'm like your annoying Uncle Bert who just HAS to yell at the TV, EVERY TIME, "He played for Souths first!!"

So much truth in this statement. I'm like your annoying Uncle Bert who just HAS to yell at the TV, EVERY TIME, "He played for Souths first!!"
This is literally me

I think BT might have barracked for South Freo before he went and played for Richmond - where he would have been a teammate of Maurice's - think BT was the emergency in the '82 VFL grand final.

When he was broadcasting a game earlier in the season where during one of the breaks, Cyril and Dean were introducing the family members at the ground and the connections with other players, one of the Vigona family on the female side was introduced and BT was in raptures remembering what a great player Benny Vigona was

Probably the most sublimely gifted of the lot Benny Vigona, was hoping that Josh Simpson would end up being our Benny, he reminded me a lot of him. Alas not to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry I think we have both misread each other's posts.

I know of 2 Rioli's currently playing in the South Fremantle district, they are both Maurice Rioli seniors grandsons (Gavin Rioli's).

Maurice Rioli Junior is also Maurice Rioli Snrs son and he is eligible under the father son ruling at both Richmond & Fremantle.
Do you know if Maurice was married more than once as if Junior is from his first wife Robyn Collard she is from WA and I beleive she is living back here . Hope the draw of family gives the Dockers a chance to draft him ahead of Richmond.

Do you know if Maurice was married more than once as if Junior is from his first wife Robyn Collard she is from WA and I beleive she is living back here . Hope the draw of family gives the Dockers a chance to draft him ahead of Richmond.
yes he has another son from a previous marriage. think he is in his late 20s or early 30s though

There's always a chance but from having a few chats with Gavin Rioli over the past few years it's was pretty clear his little brother has his sights set on Richmond his whole life, having Daniel there also makes his decision easier, but you never know I guess. Richmond might turn to utter crap in a few years and it might chance his mind who knows.

There's always a chance but from having a few chats with Gavin Rioli over the past few years it's was pretty clear his little brother has his sights set on Richmond his whole life, having Daniel there also makes his decision easier, but you never know I guess. Richmond might turn to utter crap in a few years and it might chance his mind who knows.
the only angle I see, is to say that the Tigers have small forwards covered in shades and he won't get a game.

Sorry to intrude but he is 90% lock to come to the Tigers IMO.

583796_2ce62e22d615ed30df349122cb879aeb.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back