Delisted Maverick Weller

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of the talk about Gold Coast since McKenna left has been about their lack of leadership, or giving leadership responsibilities to players who maybe just aren't up to it.

And here's Weller, delisted by the Suns for being too challenging, in our leadership and making big claims to being our next captain.
Next skip Mav? not a bad candidate

Loved Mav from the start. Was really hoping Saints would give him a second chance and was wrapped when we read his name out.

He's just one of them guys you can't fault. Rarely makes a mistake, does the team thing and has a healthy level of aggression which is good to see.

He's fantastic at engaging with fans, too. He was the only player to directly initiate conversation with my six year old daughter at the open training here in Adelaide before the Crows game. More than that, his questions to her clearly indicated he's "drunk the bathwater" of what the club is on about: he asked if she plays footy, told her she should (understandably - my kid is in the 99th percentile for height at her age!), and said he hoped she played for the Saints one day. He clearly has bought into the club's ideals, including for a women's team.

I personally just really like watching hard, tough players.

After being behind the goals today (Carlton side unfortunately) it was great to watch how tough Weller, Armitage and Webster were for us all day. Really liked watching all of them really take it up to their opponents. When they (and in particular Weller) were put in positions which they knew would hurt they didn't just stand strong, they completely controlled and 'owned' the space they were in.

In the third quarter I noticed that we switched to a 5 man forward line. When that happened it was really obvious that Mav was directing how the forward line worked. Gresham was constantly looking towards Mav to see where he should be lining up etc. and then Mav would point shortly after. They also seemed to do set plays together, such as both starting on the edge of the box and running in (we goaled from the center that time), all led by Mav.

What was good about Webster was he turned over a kick then ran at the opposition scattering two players in what was a pretty dirty move, he was roughed up and rather than looking scared he lifted and played his best game as a villain. He looks a bit of a nutter and think he should play more as a tough a-hole player. Mav is super disciplined and defends the ball coming out of our forward line really well. A friend who played football in Tassie after moving down there as a teen said it takes balls to play down there. The hardness of those two makes it sound about right.

He's fantastic at engaging with fans, too. He was the only player to directly initiate conversation with my six year old daughter at the open training here in Adelaide before the Crows game. More than that, his questions to her clearly indicated he's "drunk the bathwater" of what the club is on about: he asked if she plays footy, told her she should (understandably - my kid is in the 99th percentile for height at her age!), and said he hoped she played for the Saints one day. He clearly has bought into the club's ideals, including for a women's team.

Yeah he's awesome with the kids, he always speaks to my boy about his footy and is really engaged with all the kids.

The first time I saw him interact with fans was at the junction oval training and afterwards there was a real old guy who had gone to see footy at JO in the 1950s, he was giving tedious detail and was asking Mav who he was, most of the other players walked off on the old boy, Mav heard him out, asked questions of what it was like and made this old boys year. It was one of the nicest interactions I have seen by a footballer. Gave him a pat on the back as he went on to the next people, I reckon the old guy didn't have many people who still gave a s**t and he was walking taller after it even on his walking stick. I'm not sentimental or a bleeding heart but it gave me hope for the way people treat each other in society, not what I was expecting from a guy who was supposedly came with a bad reputation.

Yeah he's awesome with the kids, he always speaks to my boy about his footy and is really engaged with all the kids.

The first time I saw him interact with fans was at the junction oval training and afterwards there was a real old guy who had gone to see footy at JO in the 1950s, he was giving tedious detail and was asking Mav who he was, most of the other players walked off on the old boy, Mav heard him out, asked questions of what it was like and made this old boys year. It was one of the nicest interactions I have seen by a footballer. Gave him a pat on the back as he went on to the next people, I reckon the old guy didn't have many people who still gave a s**t and he was walking taller after it even on his walking stick. I'm not sentimental or a bleeding heart but it gave me hope for the way people treat each other in society, not what I was expecting from a guy who was supposedly came with a bad reputation.
Haha, Gringo I've lost count of the number of times you've told this story about the old man and Mav. I can imagine you looking on with tears of admiration streaming down your face!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

should have had 4 or more today
True. He had plenty of shots on goal. Not really a criticism, good on him for going for it, putting himself in the position. If it was a tighter game I'd be more unhappy with his conversion rate this week I guess, but he's good in general.

Think about what he's been like the last few weeks. Now think about what he's going to be like considering he's playing the team that delisted him this week.

50649784.jpg

It might negatively effect him if he tries to do too much. Hope he and Hickey don't fall into this trap.

Love the Mav, hasn't put a foot wrong since we welcomed him to the club. Posted elsewhere on BF a week ago....

How stark is the difference between the Weller brothers?

Mav's a proper journeyman with a head like a smacked up sack of flour. Lachie's a star and the ladies love him.
Some are barking mad!

Decent fantasy article mainly bout Mav : http://footyprophet.com.au/eyecatchers-round-18-mav-weller/

"There were quite a few more strong performances, however it’s time for the main course. With St Kilda marching toward some late season form and an unlikely finals berth, it was man with one of the coolest first names in the AFL – Maverick Weller – who caught the eye this week.

Since bottoming out from 2013-15, St Kilda are now a team on the rise. They are an exciting side to watch, led by veteran Skipper Nick Riewoldt, who is ably assisted by the experienced duo of Sean Dempster and Leigh Montagna. The Saints also have a plethora of players who are fast establishing themselves as long term stars of the AFL. Names such as Jack Steven, Jack Newnes and David Armitage stand out in this exciting team.

However, no side can be full of out and out superstars. Even Hawthorn have a brilliant supporting cast to the A-graders, and every team needs their ‘role players’ just as much as they do their superstars. In season 2016, Maverick Weller fits this mould for St Kilda to perfection.

Weller was given a second chance in the AFL by the Saints following his delisting by the Gold Coast Suns at the end of the 2013 season. Although he had showed some promise in a developing Suns side, Weller waned off in the season of his delisting, playing just four games in what was a disappointing year.

With his career at the crossroads, he was handed a lifeline by the Saints. Taken with pick 20 in the 2014 Rookie Draft, he made his debut for St Kilda in Round 7, 2014 and has missed just two games since. From being delisted by the Suns at the end of 2013, Weller took his second chance with both hands, being elevated to the St Kilda leadership group for the 2015 season.

Weller has added another important string to his bow this year, kicking 21 goals – more than his previous five seasons combined.

With his foot well and truly in the door at St Kilda now, Weller is showing signs that he can move out of the supporting cast and become one of the Saints’ A-graders. In some ways, Weller’s career has mirrored the form of St Kilda – bottoming out, followed by gradual and exciting improvements. Much like his team, Mav Weller has a big upside, and a breakout could be just around the corner."

Bolded = shows how much he has stepped up in form (Y)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back