Delisted Maverick Weller

Remove this Banner Ad

really happy (and a little surprised) with what he has brought to our club.
I remember when he first came down to train with us. I thought to myself " meh , a little on the short side" and id heard a lot of stories about him being a big headed tosser with attitude probs.
Talk about turn your career around.
His attitude and his work ethic are top notch.
Must go like the clappers in the gym cos hes a wrecking ball.
Wasted his first crack at an AFL club but
we gave him a 2nd chance at AFL and he isnt letting us down.
Great draft pick up for us.

All credit to him.
Applied himself to be better , trains hard and does the extra things.
This is the story of the AFL, talent will only get you so far , there are a lot of players who do this
at all clubs whether they are a top side or bottom one, it is all about working hard and preparation to
be better.

I reckon its a fine line between being big headed and being positive and having a strong visualisation of what you want to be and what what you want to do. He's gone on record before about the positive thinking theories he subscribes to, and to put his hand up for a leadership role a year after coming off the rookie list says a lot about his self-belief.

He's probably big headed in the same way Nathan Buckley was, the type of guy others might refer to as FIGJAM, he totally believes in himself and that's one of the most powerful tools a person can have, especially in his line of work.

But traditionally, Australians can't really stomach that "American" type of personality (same is true in parts of thr UK, sadly) and living in the land of the tall poppy syndrome will guarantee that he rubs a lot of people up the wrong way, not that he'll give a monkey's. I personally think that Australia needs to have more people with self-belief and less with resentment of achievers, so I'm happy for Mav Weller to be all that he can be, and delighted that it will be achieved while playing for us.

I reckon its a fine line between being big headed and being positive and having a strong visualisation of what you want to be and what what you want to do. He's gone on record before about the positive thinking theories he subscribes to, and to put his hand up for a leadership role a year after coming off the rookie list says a lot about his self-belief.

He's probably big headed in the same way Nathan Buckley was, the type of guy others might refer to as FIGJAM, he totally believes in himself and that's one of the most powerful tools a person can have, especially in his line of work.

But traditionally, Australians can't really stomach that "American" type of personality (same is true in parts of thr UK, sadly) and living in the land of the tall poppy syndrome will guarantee that he rubs a lot of people up the wrong way, not that he'll give a monkey's. I personally think that Australia needs to have more people with self-belief and less with resentment of achievers, so I'm happy for Mav Weller to be all that he can be, and delighted that it will be achieved while playing for us.
I dunno, Ive spoken to him before ableit briefly and he seemed pretty level headed and not really any different to any other Australian person. He has the quintessential underdog story anyway, coming from a poor beginning at Gold Coast to finding success elsewhere in another underdog team.

Considering all the s**t thats come out of Gold Coast of late its really hard to determin where the conflict really arose from. Mav could very well have been the more level headed around there all along and hasnt actuallly changed all that much. :)

Fair dos, I never met him and only know him from the interviews he's done. What comes across to me is a guy who really believes in himself and a committed positive thinker.

People like that come across as big headed to certain types of people, but I think it's great.

Not many players succeed at AFL level without a more than healthy ego, it's a almost a prerequisite.

Yeah as I said in another thread Mav is as humble and nice as you could ask for. He is nothing like Buckley. I met bucks in the 1990s when I was working doing promotional work for a department store. He was an absolute f%$#stick. He acted like he was a superstar treating people like they were crap..some of the people working there didn't know who he was even but it didn't stop him acting like a petulant child. The only worse guy was Ablett senior. Kimberly Davis was some kind of Neighbours actor and she was probably the worst human being I ever came across though, so he wasn't alone in over estimating himself. Anyway back to Mav, he is a really lovely guy and being from Tassie he will never get to a point where he thinks too highly of himself. It is pretty frowned upon there. I said somewhere on another thread that along with Newnes he should be in captain conversations. He is the kind of guy it's hard not to like and respect. He's really funny and good natured, my kids really liked him and they are better at picking out the guys that are w***ers more than adults.

Fair dos, I never met him and only know him from the interviews he's done. What comes across to me is a guy who really believes in himself and a committed positive thinker.

People like that come across as big headed to certain types of people, but I think it's great.
I think in one of the videos about their preseason that was released a while ago the boys were taken to a place on a bus then given a map to find where to go. One of the boys was interviewed about it and said something along the lines of "Mav just took the map and said "follow me"". He is definitely confident which is a great leadership quality, if you doubt yourself then the people following you will also doubt you.

I think in one of the videos about their preseason that was released a while ago the boys were taken to a place on a bus then given a map to find where to go. One of the boys was interviewed about it and said something along the lines of "Mav just took the map and said "follow me"". He is definitely confident which is a great leadership quality, if you doubt yourself then the people following you will also doubt you.

He has some swagger but he's not arrogant. When you see him in civilian clothes he is a bit of suave guy too but he's not what you would expect personality wise, he's humble and well mannered and not in a suck arse way.

Mav Press Conference.

Mav's excellent at interacting with Saints fans on social media, too. Comes across as a guy who's very willing to give his time and have a chat. Only one that bests him on sm is Dan Markworth, who's lovely too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Screenshot_2015-12-03-10-15-06-1.png
A short victory dance from me after securing the chance to be this man's player advocate for 2016.

In all seriousness though, Mav is a very exciting prospect in my opinion. From a delisted rookie to a member of the leadership group in a couple of short years, and seems to be becoming very much a face of the club.

Love seeing that Mav is very highly rated within the club, taking home the 2015 Lenny Hayes Player Trademark award. Recognised by his peers as a leading club man.

“Mav has been acknowledged by his peers as the player who consistently puts the team in front of himself...He plays with real aggression, providing enormous energy to the group.” - Alan Richardson

From being the one to call up new recruits to talking up the younger guys in the media, Mav's definitely putting in the hard yards off the field, and is primed to take another huge step up on the field in 2016.

Hoping for many, many more goals like this one from big Mav in 2016!

Go Sainters!

Excellent news this morning, with Mav signing on for another 3 years! Continuing to see that the club rates this man very highly

http:/m.saints.com.au/news/2015-12-12/saints-believe-in-maverick

"St Kilda coach Alan Richardson said Weller had brought tremendous leadership to the Saints"

"Maverick is an impressive player and strong character, proven by his rise from the rookie list to the leadership group in less than 12 months."

Very exciting stuff. Go Sainters!

Edit: http://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-12-12/suns-sacking-a-blessing-in-disguise-says-weller

An interview with Mav on afl.com.au in which he speaks frankly about his exit from the Suns. No massive shocks really.

More importantly, plenty of praise for the Saints and Richo. Definitely worth a read!

Last edited:
Hats off to Mav.
He truly is a Saint now and proud of it.
Good luck to him and hope he has a long career with us.

Woudn't be the first champ we've had come off the rookie list with number 44 would he!

You look around and you see a lot of young leaders coming through and I thought it was those boys that really dug deep when we needed it ....... It was a really good game for them and hopefully we can draw on this experience and take it forward.

“If we want to get to where we want to go and climb up the ladder, and potentially be contending for a flag in the next three or four years it’s those younger guys that are going to do it ....

“The messaging was win your contest and stand up and do something about it .... ” Mav Weller

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-04-11/weller-youngsters-the-key-to-climb

Mav’s interview after the game is an insight into why the players listen to him. His ability to articulate the message from the coaches and the club is obvious and you can’t help but love his honesty and his warmth.

His performance on the field (3 clutch goals again this week) shows why he’s a leader.

upload_2016-4-12_9-48-7.png

I guess there's probably an individual player thread somewhere for each player, but I can't find them, so...

I'm not his advocate, but I just want to reiterate how much I love having Maverick Weller in our team. From the moment he came to us, his attitude and endeavour have been the model of what we want from our players. He's taken ownership of his progress, taken responsibility for the team's, he is as honest as you like and he is relentless.

Every game I've seen him play, he does at least one thing which you admire. Plus he's a decent kick for goal.

He is the type of player who stands up when all around him are collapsing and in time, he'll drag others up with him.

He is right up there with some of my favourite Saints who just gain more and more of their teammates respect and trust with the effort and consistency they bring to games. I'm thinking Burkey, Hamill, even Harvey and Lenny. High praise I know, because he's yet to do it to the consistency of those guys in their prime and get involved so much possessions wise, but I have got no doubt if he keeps progressing at the rate he has, and if he stays a Saint, and if the team gets the rebuild right, then by the time he retires, he'll be (nearly) as loved as those famous players.

So here's to you, Maverick Weller, one of the first names I would put on the teamsheet.

I guess there's probably an individual player thread somewhere for each player, but I can't find them, so...
There is one on the players' board.
We moderators don't mind if people start up a new thread on a player on the main Saints board, just not multiple threads as things get lost and untidy.
This thread will most likely be merged with the existing player thread on the Players' board in time

to Mav
My grandson is named Maverick, (I also have a grandson named Nick, a cat named Gilbert and a dog named Lenny) so the Saints have inspired my family

His roar pace and power is something, bit like Judd.
When we were getting flogged out of the middle last week wondered if he could get a big tank and play as a genuine mid.
He seems to have a good body for it and powerful player.
Not sure if he just can't win contested footy or what

Anyone feel he gets a bit lost up forward sometimes? I love him to bits and he's a great forward, but wouldn't mind seeing him in the midfield from time to time to rack up a few/crunch a few bodies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back