Toast Max Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

I made the infamous comment of 'Dangerfield with better kicking', after watching his first 3 BOG VFL games and seeing his scope for improvement throughout last year - and nothing has dissuaded me from that notion yet (no matter how ridiculous it might seem to some).

Kid will be elite, and is already showing signs of just how high his ceiling is - given he's been the highest rated wingman in the comp for the past 2 months, at just 20 years old.

Onwards and upwards Holmesy!
Dangerfield with better kicking would make him the best player the game has ever seen. Disagreeing with that take does not make someone a 'debbie downer'

Dangerfield with better kicking would make him the best player the game has ever seen. Disagreeing with that take does not make someone a 'debbie downer'
Sigh...18 months on and the exact same comment from you again...even though he's improved out of sight this year alone.

Saying he's 'like' Dangerfield, but with better kicking, does not mean he'll be an 8 time AA, Brownlow, 4 x B+F ...it just means that he has the same skillset as Danger when he was drafted, same speed off the mark, literally the exact same height and build as Danger when he was drafted, and same hunger for the contest right from the word go.

This does not mean that I think he'll be better than Danger, it just means that I think he has the capability and skillset to emulate his game...but with better disposal. If you weren't so relentlessly determined to see the negative side of everything, you'd actually be able to appreciate the subtlety in what I'm saying.

The cat's swapped picks with of all teams the tigers to secure Max that draft yr...for whom did the tigs pick up. Assuming they got who they wanted ? Also wasn't Max a "under" age pick. Meaning he had another yr in tac cup to come ?

The cat's swapped picks with of all teams the tigers to secure Max that draft yr...for whom did the tigs pick up. Assuming they got who they wanted ? Also wasn't Max a "under" age pick. Meaning he had another yr in tac cup to come ?

Tom Brown - who'll likely be a gun too, and a father-son who wasn't eligible for us. Won't be better than Holmes though, I'd say

Come on David you was telling us pre-season to back off calling him a star lol

You can only call what's in front of you mate. That's how you keep credibility.

So what if he said it in the pre-season? AT THE TIME he would've been correct....the facts have since changed and we're all on board. The kid is going to be a superstar.

You can only call what's in front of you mate. That's how you keep credibility.

So what if he said it in the pre-season? AT THE TIME he would've been correct....the facts have since changed and we're all on board. The kid is going to be a superstar.
You could see it Eddy, well some of us could and i never call it but i did with this kid

Tigers used the pick a year later on tom brown (son of former cat paul brown)

They swapped into the following year’s draft so they had nobody in mind, that’s y I guess they did the swap.
As for Holmes he wasn’t under age. It was his year to be drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's times like this that I'd like to think the club would have a medal made for those would significantly contributed to the season. Do it quietly as far as the public is concerned, but internally recognize those people.

Yep him and menegola in particular who have been a huge part of the last 2 years very much deserve it. Impressed with how all those guys carried themselves given how shattered they must have been to miss out.

nromally id say change the avatar....

but in this case....

LET IT ROLL!!!!!

GO Catters
Had my fun. Now home time for replay 1 of many :rainbow:

Max was all class after the final siren. Never made it about himself. Watching the Sunday Footy Show, I thought Big Bill laid it on a bit thick trying to put him on the spot about being upset. I know Billy had been viciously attacked by frothies the night before (I should know - I got jumped by the same gang I think!) but still.

A bit of decorum, Billy!

Exciting high-flyer Daniel Menzel was our best and brightest in 2011; fit and firing in the Finals before suddenly hitting the injury wall and missing out on a Premiership.

It was the beginning of the end for Menzel, who suffered a series of debilitating long-term injuries that accrued to the point where his abundant talent just could not compensate for the lack of mobility and aerobic capacity.

Max Holmes was so good in the lead-up to the Grand Final that it feels completely unjust that he should miss out on a Premiership medal. But life's not fair.

He still has a long career ahead of him; hopefully the soft tissue stuff does not curtail his elite capacity to runrunrun.

Regardless, he was a massive part of the 2022 premiership as his contributions in the preceding Finals were immense.

Tom Brown - who'll likely be a gun too, and a father-son who wasn't eligible for us. Won't be better than Holmes though, I'd say
Yeah that was s**t billy fishing for laughs a bit too hard there mate!
Was funny when Tom Hawkins said I’ve seen you crying in grand finals but Tom left it there and didn’t give him a rubbing as bill quickly changed subjects.

Yeah that was s**t billy fishing for laughs a bit too hard there mate!
Was funny when Tom Hawkins said I’ve seen you crying in grand finals but Tom left it there and didn’t give him a rubbing as bill quickly changed subjects.
Sorry was trying to quote the story on billy.

[Cross-posting from another thread because it’s relevant here too - mods feel free to delete if that’s against the rules]

One thing that annoyed me today was seeing Billy making fun of Holmes on live TV. Brownless was roaming through the room at St Mary’s live on the Sunday Footy Show and went up to Holmes (who was sitting with a bunch of other players) and said:

How are you feeling Holmesy? … You played well all year and then missed out. He got the medal and you didn’t [points to Miers who was sitting next to Holmes] I bet you weren’t happy with Gryan getting the medal! Were you cranky with Gryan?
Holmes looked very uncomfortable/awkward but did a good job of laughing it off.

Poor form to humiliate one of our young players on live TV AND in front of his mates, at a time when he’d been feeling many negative emotions. All weekend Max would’ve been trying his best to be happy despite missing out on the greatest achievement of his life by a fingernail, and then Billy directly makes fun of it in front of everyone. I know that he wasn’t trying to be hurtful, but the way that he dealt with that very sensitive issue was clumsy and unacceptable.

Exciting high-flyer Daniel Menzel was our best and brightest in 2011; fit and firing in the Finals before suddenly hitting the injury wall and missing out on a Premiership.

It was the beginning of the end for Menzel, who suffered a series of debilitating long-term injuries that accrued to the point where his abundant talent just could not compensate for the lack of mobility and aerobic capacity.

Max Holmes was so good in the lead-up to the Grand Final that it feels completely unjust that he should miss out on a Premiership medal. But life's not fair.

He still has a long career ahead of him; hopefully the soft tissue stuff does not curtail his elite capacity to runrunrun.

Regardless, he was a massive part of the 2022 premiership as his contributions in the preceding Finals were immense.
AFL should just introduce a system similar to the NBA where basically anybody who was on the list gets given recognition for their contribution to the team and their finals / championship win. I think some teams have their own policy where they get to decide whether to give recognition to those who for example didn't play any games or were traded away mid season.. but you get the jist.

Max was all class after the final siren. Never made it about himself. Watching the Sunday Footy Show, I thought Big Bill laid it on a bit thick trying to put him on the spot about being upset. I know Billy had been viciously attacked by frothies the night before (I should know - I got jumped by the same gang I think!) but still.

A bit of decorum, Billy!
Billy was disgraceful. Trying to get Max's emotions at a time when theyvwere so raw.. Gees. Maybe: Gutted, sad, upset, in pain - no sh&t shirlock. Why make him verbalise it. He is a great Geelong man, but is an EQ desert.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back