Toast Max Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

Billy was disgraceful. Trying to get Max's emotions at a time when theyvwere so raw.. Gees. Maybe: Gutted, sad, upset, in pain - no sh&t shirlock. Why make him verbalise it. He is a great Geelong man, but is an EQ desert.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Yeah. I've watched it again and my opinion of Bill's efforts have sunk even further. I get it Billy - you were still drunk from last night. Maybe you hadn't even slept yet. Still, probably your worst effort. Even worse than 'Here come the strippers!'

For those who enjoy a train wreck;

[Cross-posting from another thread because it’s relevant here too - mods feel free to delete if that’s against the rules]

One thing that annoyed me today was seeing Billy making fun of Holmes on live TV. Brownless was roaming through the room at St Mary’s live on the Sunday Footy Show and went up to Holmes (who was sitting with a bunch of other players) and said:

How are you feeling Holmesy? … You played well all year and then missed out. He got the medal and you didn’t [points to Miers who was sitting next to Holmes] I bet you weren’t happy with Gryan getting the medal! Were you cranky with Gryan?
Holmes looked very uncomfortable/awkward but did a good job of laughing it off.

Poor form to humiliate one of our young players on live TV AND in front of his mates, at a time when he’d been feeling many negative emotions. All weekend Max would’ve been trying his best to be happy despite missing out on the greatest achievement of his life by a fingernail, and then Billy directly makes fun of it in front of everyone. I know that he wasn’t trying to be hurtful, but the way that he dealt with that very sensitive issue was clumsy and unacceptable.
Yeah billy was inappropriate and made max visibly uncomfortable.

I get the impression Billy can be considered kind of a pest down that way. I think they should have kept it to 1:1 interviews on the balcony.

Yeah billy was inappropriate and made max visibly uncomfortable.

I get the impression Billy can be considered kind of a pest down that way. I think they should have kept it to 1:1 interviews on the balcony.

The issue is the majority of the players are too young to even know him as a player or the "funny guy". But even Hawk looked annoyed with him so he'd clearly been a pain all day.

Billy has always had a heart bigger than his brain - but I'm thinking his schtick is probably past it's use by date now. Times have changed a bit.

Back on topic - I really hope by not playing, Max has a 110% recovery and goes on to have a good career. Still time for him, there are no guarantees in life but he is at a great club. I think the wider football public will still see him as "the guy that missed out", when the reality may well be that he goes on to be quite an exceptional player.

Yeah. I've watched it again and my opinion of Bill's efforts have sunk even further. I get it Billy - you were still drunk from last night. Maybe you hadn't even slept yet. Still, probably your worst effort. Even worse than 'Here come the strippers!'

For those who enjoy a train wreck;

Jesus, Billy can be a plonker. It wouldn't have been malicious but he really is the sort of guy who can put his foot in his mouth and then to try and fix it, put the other one in too.

Billy has always had a heart bigger than his brain - but I'm thinking his schtick is probably past it's use by date now. Times have changed a bit.

Back on topic - I really hope by not playing, Max has a 110% recovery and goes on to have a good career. Still time for him, there are no guarantees in life but he is at a great club. I think the wider football public will still see him as "the guy that missed out", when the reality may well be that he goes on to be quite an exceptional player.
He is in our best starting team in round 1 for sure. Makes us look so much better and faster. He is a gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I hope Geelong wins another Premiership anyway, I especially hope they win another so this kid gets his medal, and maybe even Norm to take home too.

Unfinished business...
I hope so too. If not he may be the Mitch Duncan of the future team. I know Mitch ran on as sub as a young fella in 2011 but it was only a sampler. Cam Guthrie may be a better example as he didn't play at all.

I know what makes this a doubly sore point is that unlike the above two in 2011, Holmes was a crucial player for Geelong in 2022. One of several that allowed us to play a high powered run and gun, expose turnovers game. He'll very much be leading the way for us over the next decades as old stars bow out.

I was at the game on the weekend, he looked very special. His acceleration is insane.
He's also starting to back himself more and just run with the power on - catch me if you can ;)
Kicking has improved out of sight and is capable of 50M low bullets which is a huge asset , efficiency is also impressive when you consider a lot of his disposals are at full speed.

While I hope Geelong wins another Premiership anyway, I especially hope they win another so this kid gets his medal, and maybe even Norm to take home too.

Unfinished business...
Yes! And what would add some spice for me would be underlining what an utter pillock David King is for saying after round two we are cooked and are no hope. How delicious that would be.

Have a look at the 2020 draft, legitimately wouldn’t swap him for anyone. He’ll end up elite.
He could be our Chad Warner I reckon. Similar players in the sense that you want them getting the ball and bolting rather than getting it purely at the coalface.

1 year younger than Chad, and it was around July last year that Warner really showed the competition how good he is.

Hopefully Max can do something similar over the coming months. Looks to be entering some good form.

I was at the game on the weekend, he looked very special. His acceleration is insane.
And the acceleration is devoid of any fear of being caught. He now knows he has 99% of AFL listers well covered.

This is part of his improved kicking efficiency . Just go ...sum up what's ahead...deliver.

He could be our Chad Warner I reckon. Similar players in the sense that you want them getting the ball and bolting rather than getting it purely at the coalface.

1 year younger than Chad, and it was around July last year that Warner really showed the competition how good he is.

Hopefully Max can do something similar over the coming months. Looks to be entering some good form.
Decent call and I certainly hope so.

Being able to run straight past people is an enormous leg up that most can't ever do.

Get Holmes the ball in space as much as possible I say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back