Toast Max Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

So allow a little hyperbole here...

You can see the PFD traits in him bursting from the MF.

Saw it really the first time V the Eagles from a centre clearance - well he was the clearance actually.

He took in inside the circles and was gone... and I mean gone. The explosive pace was just nuts - thus the PFD analogy in that respect.

Hes got a good footy head and his skills are getting better. If, he can add more size and stamina over the coming preseasons, he's gonna become an elite weapon with repeat speed running, great skills and the ability to leave anyone on his dust.

You can see the beginnings of it with his additional rotations in the MF now.

Like it - and its making the trade up a few picks and giving our FR1 away to get him a masterstroke as his value is getting to be above the pick 20 we took him at. IWWT again....

GO Catters

So allow a little hyperbole here...

You can see the PFD traits in him bursting from the MF.

Saw it really the first time V the Eagles from a centre clearance - well he was the clearance actually.

He took in inside the circles and was gone... and I mean gone. The explosive pace was just nuts - thus the PFD analogy in that respect.

Hes got a good footy head and his skills are getting better. If, he can add more size and stamina over the coming preseasons, he's gonna become an elite weapon with repeat speed running, great skills and the ability to leave anyone on his dust.

You can see the beginnings of it with his additional rotations in the MF now.

Like it - and its making the trade up a few picks and giving our FR1 away to get him a masterstroke as his value is getting to be above the pick 20 we took him at. IWWT again....

GO Catters
So what I'm hearing is Dangerfield with better kicking?

And the acceleration is devoid of any fear of being caught. He now knows he has 99% of AFL listers well covered.

This is part of his improved kicking efficiency . Just go ...sum up what's ahead...deliver.
This is what is shocking.

We comment about how some players are quick and some are slow, but the reality is that ALL are elite athletes who practise sprinting and all are in near peak condition - 99.9% of these players would smoke 99.9% of fans in any running race.

Yet, Max is running away from prime athletic beasts. :oops::oops:

Decent call and I certainly hope so.

Being able to run straight past people is an enormous leg up that most can't ever do.

Get Holmes the ball in space as much as possible I say.
When he gathers the ball and accelerates, he reminds me how GAJ hunkered down and burst away. He doesnt 100% have the baulk and change direction agility that Gary had, but he has a higher straight line speed.

2.82 seconds over the 20m sprint at draft camp from memory.

One of the fastest times ever recorded.

His sprinting abilities are clearly his strongest asset.

He has a huge future ahead of him and as much as I and others may have concerns about some of Wells’ falcon drafting of late... the trade to get Holmes was an enormous win.

The trade was there for anyone to make if they wanted him... Wells pulled the trigger on it and it’ll be a big W for us.

You do win some and lose some.

This won clearly is a win.

This is what is shocking.

We comment about how some players are quick and some are slow, but the reality is that ALL are elite athletes who practise sprinting and all are in near peak condition - 99.9% of these players would smoke 99.9% of fans in any running race.

Yet, Max is running away from prime athletic beasts. :oops::oops:
Acceleration is what puts him in that top tier.

He has a huge future ahead of him and as much as I and others may have concerns about some of Wells’ falcon drafting of late... the trade to get Holmes was an enormous win.

The trade was there for anyone to make if they wanted him... Wells pulled the trigger on it and it’ll be a big W for us.

He looks fast, like Danger, but he doesn’t look as fast as someone like Jetta. Weird to think that Holmes is probably quicker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could you clarify what you mean when you use the term 'falcon drafting'?

All the draftees we've pulled from the Geelong Falcons has seen a very local flavour to our recent recruiting - Conway, Knevitt, Clark, Henry, Bruhn, and Whyte are all ex-Falcons (I'm pretty sure).

Plus clohesy riccardi and murdoch.

All the draftees we've pulled from the Geelong Falcons has seen a very local flavour to our recent recruiting - Conway, Knevitt, Clark, Henry, Bruhn, and Whyte are all ex-Falcons (I'm pretty sure).
Ah yes, makes sense. Hmmm. It would be a little early to say the falcon drafting has necessarily been disastrous, right?

Also, I think there are two factors at play for the focus on 'Falcon drafting'. Covid - as the uncertainty of football's future has been pretty influential since 2020, and there has been a fair bit of buzz about 'the go-home factor', particularly when considering Tim Kelly and Jordan Clark gave us some prolonged headaches - albeit the former being a huge part of our successful snatch of Jeremy Cameron. While we have certainly avoided the scars endured by the Roos, GWS, Gold Coast etc, there's clearly a correlation.

Ah yes, makes sense. Hmmm. It would be a little early to say the falcon drafting has necessarily been disastrous, right?

Also, I think there are two factors at play for the focus on 'Falcon drafting'. Covid - as the uncertainty of football's future has been pretty influential since 2020, and there has been a fair bit of buzz about 'the go-home factor', particularly when considering Tim Kelly and Jordan Clark gave us some prolonged headaches - albeit the former being a huge part of our successful snatch of Jeremy Cameron. While we have certainly avoided the scars endured by the Roos, GWS, Gold Coast etc, there's clearly a correlation.
The Roos' scars were self-inflicted, though

May also be the fact that a lot of our picks are well after the ‘stand out’ national top guys have gone so we do our best work in the lower ‘hit or miss’ tiers picking from guys that we know a little bit more about.

Not really. Have you seen his Uncle the power lifter? He has the genes to bulk right up.
Love Holmes... Just not sure we picked Jhye Clark because we have Holmes on the list already and we would have gone a Ginbey/Poo type if we didn't have Holmes.

Anyway, I am hoping they are a lethal combo in the middle for many years to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back