Toast Max King shows massive sign of loyalty (extends to 2026)

Remove this Banner Ad

He is taking 2.4 contested marks (up from 1.7 last year) which is equal 9th in the AFL (tied with Charlie Dixon amongst others).

3.8 shots of goal (1.6 Goals, 2.2 Behinds) which is up from 2.3 last year.

Marks are up from 3.2 to 4.9 a game.

Inside 50's up from 1 to 1.9.

Contested possessions up from 4.9 to 6.4.

Marks inside 50 up from 1.7 to 3.0.

Score involvements up from 3.8 to 6.1.

He has seriously improved. Can't wait to see where he gets to in the next 12 months. If he can get his goal kicking fixed, he is going to seriously tear the competition apart.

Looking at most of the best key forwards at the moment. It takes 3-5 years to really develop. I expect by the end of the contract, it will be a bargain.

Wow that's a lotta cash on current output, hopefully it looks like an absolute bargain in a year or two.
If he had kicked 5.1 instead of 1.5 I'm not sure you would be saying that , i think we need to cut him some slack

Just looking at comparison and I know they played a different game but Maxy has played 26 games so far for a total of 35 goals, 38 behinds and 95 marks
At the same time our previous number 12 had 23.20 and 204 marks (back when CHF was a thing)

He’ll be alright and this is massive news.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic news for the club!

To get him locked away long term - and while he still had a year left on his current deal - is huge for us moving forward. And while I dont think any of us thought he was ever a chance to leave, it's just good to have the prospect of Gold Coast coming hard from him off the table.

He's going to be the face of the club for a very long time.

If he had kicked 5.1 instead of 1.5 I'm not sure you would be saying that , i think we need to cut him some slack
Not sure I’ve even remotely given him a whack. 750-800K/PA for a player with 35 goals in 26 games is a lot of coin, don’t think that’s an unreasonable statement. If he kicked 5.1 last week, then he would have 39 goals from 26 games.

As I said it will be a bargain if he fulfills his potential. I'm glad they've stitched him up long term, but it's not without risk.

Not sure I’ve even remotely given him a whack. 750-800K/PA for a player with 35 goals in 26 games is a lot of coin, don’t think that’s an unreasonable statement. If he kicked 5.1 last week, then he would have 39 goals from 26 games.

As I said it will be a bargain if he fulfills his potential. I'm glad they've stitched him up long term, but it's not without risk.
Mate , i never said you gave him a whack , i just think things would have been a lot different if he kicked those goals and we won , people would have been going ape droppings , compared to what the Dogs payed for Boyd he is a bargain IMO

He is taking 2.4 contested marks (up from 1.7 last year) which is equal 9th in the AFL (tied with Charlie Dixon amongst others).

3.8 shots of goal (1.6 Goals, 2.2 Behinds) which is up from 2.3 last year.

Marks are up from 3.2 to 4.9 a game.

Inside 50's up from 1 to 1.9.

Contested possessions up from 4.9 to 6.4.

Marks inside 50 up from 1.7 to 3.0.

Score involvements up from 3.8 to 6.1.

Salary up from $200k per year to $750k per year.

It is an overspend but I think we had to do it. If he got poached by another club it would set us back 5+ years. He's shown just enough that I'm comfortable with it, obviously we would need him to be stepping up his output a lot for it to be worth it.

I don't think it will kill us salary wise once Hanners is off the books right? Medium bad (don't wanna say worst case) scenario is it ends up like Kosi who was massively overpaid based on his first couple of years, but we still managed to put a premiership standard list around that salary wise.

Best news of the year. Yes, Max is being well compensated. But he is a Saint and he loves the club. He is our future and is very loyal. We lucked in with pick 4 in the 2018 draft.

We have to bring Ben home now, respecting the fact that he is contracted until the end of 2022. But we move heaven and earth to reunite the boys when we can. What a seriously good combination they will be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back