AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Max King - Sandringham Dragons
Key Forward
201 cm 82 kg
7/7/2000

An early tip for a Top 5 pick Max King is one of the best Key Position Players available this year.

Played 7 TAC Cup games this season and 1 with Vic Metro

Early thoughts and predictions everyone?

2018 highlights: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/max-king.1183397/#post-54956561

Last edited by a moderator:

My guess is all clubs will tread warily with tall forward KP's - Recent history shows picking them at the top of the draft class is fraught with danger - I suspect the next few years will see these type of players drop down the draft order.

My guess is all clubs will tread warily with tall forward KP's - Recent history shows picking them at the top of the draft class is fraught with danger - I suspect the next few years will see these type of players drop down the draft order.
In some respects, that's as much to do with KPP's taking longer to develop compared to other positions. Also, genuine A grade talls are few and far between. There's potentially three in this draft. Teams will come early for them.

I see so many similarities to Daniher in Max King, he will take a long time to develop but once he does he has the potential to be the next Daniher and id happily give a top 5 pick for someone like that.

In some respects, that's as much to do with KPP's taking longer to develop compared to other positions. Also, genuine A grade talls are few and far between. There's potentially three in this draft. Teams will come early for them.

My post is referring to the style of player - Think Boyd/McCartin who are the lumbering type - Rate Patton though he has been cruelled by injury - Lukocius seems to be a different type of forward.

I see so many similarities to Daniher in Max King, he will take a long time to develop but once he does he has the potential to be the next Daniher and id happily give a top 5 pick for someone like that.

King seems to have more mobility, than the style of player, I've mentioned in previous posts - Will see how M.King develops in 2018 - My guess is clubs will be more prudent in giving out top range picks for key forwards, though it won't reach the level of rucks in today's AFL

IF you Drafting KPF in the Draft. Need to Draft them as Early as Possible

My post is referring to the style of player - Think Boyd/McCartin who are the lumbering type - Rate Patton though he has been cruelled by injury - Lukocius seems to be a different type of forward.
Can just as easily say Hipwood fell way to far and teams will be kicking themselves

Can just as easily say Hipwood fell way to far and teams will be kicking themselves

Hipwood is showing good signs for a second year tall - The key for Hipwood is building a super endurance tank because he style of play will be most effective if he can play up the ground.

Yeah there's also a much greater bust factor for 200cm forwards not to mention they appear unsuited to the way the game is played atm. Danniher is the exception but he is a freak. Nobody wants a bust in a super draft so I think it's reasonable enough to think that any hint of weakness (in particular being a bit of a loafer) from a KPF will see them handicapped significantly in this draft.

I would agree with Yaco55's original comments; drafters are getting very wary of drafting 200+ talls early. As Schraderbrau says Daniher is the exception not the rule; there is almost a long way to go to find out whether their game will actually hold up at AFL and recruiters are more and more wanting to avoid busts as much as possible with really early picks. I think Jack Watts, John Butcher, even Schache can also go into that list of Boyd, McCartin that in hindsight drafters would have been less bullish about despite their under 18s/16s performances. I am even tempted to add Darcy Moore to that list - he is a talent but in hindsight they wouldn't have taken him so early.

I reckon if the Kings are going to go early, they will need to demonstrate (in addition to the marking which they have demonstrated) that they have:

(1) Extremely good to great mobility for their size (I mean midfielder levels);
(2) More than reasonable endurance;
(3) good to very good tackling; and
(4) Can play multiple positions or either end of the ground.

It is no longer good enough to just be a fantastic mark and an ultra-competitive height.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would agree with Yaco55's original comments; drafters are getting very wary of drafting 200+ talls early. As Schraderbrau says Daniher is the exception not the rule; there is almost a long way to go to find out whether their game will actually hold up at AFL and recruiters are more and more wanting to avoid busts as much as possible with really early picks. I think Jack Watts, John Butcher, even Schache can also go into that list of Boyd, McCartin that in hindsight drafters would have been less bullish about despite their under 18s/16s performances. I am even tempted to add Darcy Moore to that list - he is a talent but in hindsight they wouldn't have taken him so early.

I reckon if the Kings are going to go early, they will need to demonstrate (in addition to the marking which they have demonstrated) that they have:

(1) Extremely good to great mobility for their size (I mean midfielder levels);
(2) More than reasonable endurance;
(3) good to very good tackling; and
(4) Can play multiple positions or either end of the ground.

It is no longer good enough to just be a fantastic mark and an ultra-competitive height.
Can’t say much for the 2nd of those criteria but both are good with 1 and 3 and with regards to 4 Ben has shown he can play both ends and play them extremely well

8.5 + one out on the full. Nine marks. Pretty decent performance !!

Amazing to think, you might only need Pick 2-5 to secure him...
It's early in the season but where is he for you at the moment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back