Max King

Remove this Banner Ad

If you look at their bodies, they are fairly slender in build. Similar to what you expect of a basketball player. If you look at most of the other 200cm footballers, they are muscular and robust in stature.

Hopefully they can add on some much needed weight because if not, on going injuries like this will be inevitable.

Terrible luck for the young man. Him and his brother deserve a fair crack at it as they have the potential to become two of the best players in the game.

He’s arguably the saints most important player and will be irreplaceable. You need two quality key forwards to compete for a flag..he was the saints only option. They will struggle to kick a winning score without him.

Huge early test for Ross lyon as he’s going to have to change things up.
Hey hey hey... the Dogs won the flag with Tom Boyd and Zaine Cordy as their imposing key forwards.

You're right through, it's a devastating blow for St Kilda and if he misses more than half the season, I struggle to see them performing well enough to really challenge. I won't be totally shocked if they make the bottom half of the 8 though.

2. None of them kicked at least 4 goals in 2 consecutive weeks within their first 41 games, ie: What Max King just achieved

Side note- Barry Hall and Buddy Franklin would've been on this list except they kicked 4+ in games 39 and 40, one game ahead of King who did it in games 40 and 41. Jeremy Cameron did it in games 31 and 32. Taylor Walker matched King with 4 in games 40 and 41.
Funny stat. Some others:

John Butcher 2 and 3.
Tim Membrey 23 and 24.
Jeff Farmer 25 and 26.
Michael Walters 26 and 27.
Daniel Menzel 32 and 33.
Marc LeCras 32 and 33.
Lance Whitnall 34 and 35 (included a bag of 8).

Do u think Lyon will aim to come out all guns blazing in 2023 or try to style a gradual build up over 3 years or so?

Personally I think it's a long game. He's been brought in to change the culture of the entire club back to a professional standard.

I don't expect to win a flag during his 4 year contract but I hope he can be like Chris Scott, John Longmire or Ken Hinkley and have the team constantly regenerating while also consistently making finals/top 4. Admittedly Scott has now won two flags, but the philosophy of what Geelong, Sydney and Port have been doing is what we need to get to.

No more boom/bust rebuilds like what North and Hawthorn are going through. Just build slowly but surely, get into the finals and then do everything you can to stay there.

images

Wouldn't shock me to see him parked for the year unfortunately.

Let's call it a standard 6 month recovery time, comes back in June and if they are 2-8 or 3-7 there's not really much point as they won't play finals from there. You see it happen in overseas sports all the time where players get shut down to focus on the following season.

If it happens again his shoulders will be wrecked i.e Judd and Carey and his overhead marking is his best asset.

No point rushing this. He will have a 15 year career.

How good will this guy get?

I think it's safe to say the new King of St Kilda has arrived.

The potential many people have been raving about for years has finally been unleashed more consistently, across the back half of 2021 and the opening rounds of 2022.

From where I'm sitting, injuries have always been the only thing that could stop this guy becoming an elite key forward and one of the very best players in the competition. But now, possibly earlier than even I expected, he's finally starting to prove it regularly.

Here's a question.

What do the following players have in common?

N Riewoldt
B Fevola
J Brown
M Pavlich
W Tredrea
J Roughhead
J Riewoldt
T Hawkins
J Kennedy
T Lynch
J Gunston
B Brown
J Darling

Apart from being the crème de la crème of key forwards over the past 20 years?

Answer:

1. They all averaged less contested marks per game over their careers than Max King is averaging so far in his career (2.12 per game)

2. None of them kicked at least 4 goals in 2 consecutive weeks within their first 41 games, ie: What Max King just achieved

Side note- Barry Hall and Buddy Franklin would've been on this list except they kicked 4+ in games 39 and 40, one game ahead of King who did it in games 40 and 41. Jeremy Cameron did it in games 31 and 32. Taylor Walker matched King with 4 in games 40 and 41.

Key forwards usually take 4-6 years to start consistently playing great footy. This is King's 4th season (although he missed most of 2019 rookie year with an ankle injury, only playing 5 VFL games). Harry McKay is a good example of this- 58 goals last year in his 6th season, previous best was 26.

The frustrating thing for me as a St Kilda fan, is that I can see King's trajectory unfolding before my eyes, but I don't see any other under 25's at St Kilda who look likely to become elite. So I'm not sure King will have the teammates around him to make the most of his immense abilities. (Although optimistically Clark, Gresham, Coffield and Higgins have shown flashes of brilliance. You never know).

Still this thread is about Max King not the Saints.

How good will King eventually become?

And how will he go this year? Challenge for the Coleman?

What a random stat. Just picking a random subset of games to bencmark everyone.

What about players to kick 13 goals across three weeks before their 50th game?

Nick Larkey did that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very disappointing for King, I reckon the footy world is his oyster. He'll be back though, still young.

Now all eyes back to Ross ... reset the plans, will be interesting to see Plan B.

So he got 7 disposals (4 kicks and 3 hand passes) and 2 behinds tonight. Is he 100 percent fit? Or Still carrying minor injuries from early in the season?

Didnt play rounds 1-9 due to injury. So we can knock on him for that.

But... If we looked at his last 4 games. 13 goals and 4 behinds from only 41 disposals.

Round 10 Vs GWS: 4 goals 1 behind from 11 disposals.

Round 11 vs Hawks: 4 goals and 0 behinds from 10 disposals

Round 13 vs Swans: 3 goals and 1 behind from 10 disposals.

Round 14 vs Richmond: 2 goals and 2 Behinds from 10 disposals.

So he got 7 disposals (4 kicks and 3 hand passes) and 2 behinds tonight. Is he 100 percent fit? Or Still carrying minor injuries from early in the season?

But... If we looked at his last 4 games. 13 goals and 4 behinds from only 41 disposals.

41 disposals and probably 14 flops.

He played 1 bad game but other than that his form has been pretty solid I'd have thought.

3.25 goals a game over the previous month, that's a 70 goal season....

He's never going to be a high possession forward, he's a deep contested mark/kick for goal player, that's his go.

I'd challenge Tony Lockett at his peak to get a kick as a forward in St Kilda's team.

I'd seriously seek a trade if I was King.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back