Oppo Camp Max Lynch (Traded to Hawks 2021)

Disagree, at the start to the season he was clearly the leading candidate for the number 1 ruck role based on pre-season form. Just got injured at the wrong time and even when Grundy was struggling pre-bye, Witts was still out injured. Grundy hit his straps after the bye and rest as they say is history. Sliding door moment.

I just don't think he has the natural aggression needed to make it.

SchuPie

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Celtics, Canucks
He was really pushing himself hard today.

Not sure if he had done as much work as Callum / Daics / Kirby, but at one point they were made to do a series of 400s (running / walking / sprinting) and he led the boys on every lap

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I just don't think he has the natural aggression needed to make it.

Time will tell on that, sadly, if he does make it wont be at the Pies.

Time will tell on that, sadly, if he does make it wont be at the Pies.

I wish him all the best. I still remember that clip on The Club when he was cooking bolognese with The Seed. Happy days.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
We lost Witts because he was too good for the VFL. Tried for Minson who would have been a one year fix only but he (probably wisely) chose to retire over another year playing VFL. If Lynch doesnt work out in a year or so we move on again. Nothing but upside for him. Picked as ïn case of emergency""depth so lets see how he develops in the VFL and pray Grundy stays as durable as he appears to be so far in his career.

We lost Witts because he was too good for the VFL. Tried for Minson who would have been a one year fix only but he (probably wisely) chose to retire over another year playing VFL. If Lynch doesnt work out in a year or so we move on again. Nothing but upside for him. Picked as ïn case of emergency""depth so lets see how he develops in the VFL and pray Grundy stays as durable as he appears to be so far in his career.

Grundy thrives on the work. The man is a beast!

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just dropped in to see how my man Lynchy was doing.
He is such a big thing.
For his age looks Mumford like, not thin (not fat) just solid.

Nice project type.

Who knows.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have a feeling this kid and Brodie are going to get along like a house on fire and really challenge each other.
I have. A feeling if anyone tries challenging our great Grundy
He'll turn them into his biatch
:p

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree, losing Witts has certainly elevated his importance. A lot depends on Cox developing over the preseason as I think he's a better option to carry the 1st ruck role than White.
Cox may not be a star.
But for back up he has a few really good qualities.

He's really really really tall!
When he's competing, he does tussle to at least bring ball to our advantage.
He's quite football smart for such a new comer.
Works hard by all reports.
Has a very simple technique, keeps things simple....

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cox may not be a star.
But for back up he has a few really good qualities.

He's really really really tall!
When he's competing, he does tussle to at least bring ball to our advantage.
He's quite football smart for such a new comer.
Works hard by all reports.
Has a very simple technique, keeps things simple....

It's not his technique that I'm worried about as I think he works really hard to achieve a 50-50 contest. It's his tank. Even at VFL level he'd rarely play more than 40-50% game time in the ruck.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's not his technique that I'm worried about as I think he works really hard to achieve a 50-50 contest. It's his tank. Even at VFL level he'd rarely play more than 40-50% game time in the ruck.
Fair point.
That must be considered.
Let's hope then that his work ethic gets him to the requisite fitness level of longer time in the ruck (.as required).

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
So Maxy might have a reasonable or developed tank, does come from an academy, still great to hear!

Time trial for the new boys. Quite impressive for a big bloke. Bit of a worry for the others.

Time Trial is only a Small Part of Footy. Does Help but not everything

IMG_4194.JPG

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Not sure if it says more about him or the other new kids.
Keeffe, Thomas, Schade and Brown are the indicators. The first three are mature players with years of training at the elite level, and you would assume are very fit right at the minute.

Brown's endurance results have never been a problem through the U/18 pathways, and he seems to be a fairly strong runner.

So I would suggest that this is more a good result for Lynch than a bad result for others.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Not to mention he's extremely slow, useless below his knees and a very poor mark for his size

I'd say good size, solid frame, good tank, good tap and good overhead mark are a fairly promising development base for a young ruck. I'd prefer those traits in my ruck than good below the knees and straight line speed. He covers the ground well enough for a guy his size. Not sure where you get the knock on his marking, the player bios i've read have it as a strength.

I'd say good size, solid frame, good tank, good tap and good overhead mark are a fairly promising development base for a young ruck. I'd prefer those traits in my ruck than good below the knees and straight line speed. He covers the ground well enough for a guy his size. Not sure where you get the knock on his marking, the player bios i've read have it as a strength.

His Marking is Hot and Cold. Can Take Some but Drop some as too.

His Big Problem he is very new to the Game and need to learn and get Feel of the Game.

Has Potential but long way to go

Think he was talking about Witts.

Back