Recommitted Max Lynch

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of Carlton posters were at the recent Carl v Coll VFL game and were very impressed with Lynch. There's since been a little bit of chatter about him on our board. Can Collingwood (or other) supporters shed a little bit more light about his game, please.

I think he's in the last year of rookie status? Will Collingwood look to elevate him?

Will he want to stay at Collingwood given he is going to be stuck behind Grundy for a very long time? I can't see much ruck material at Collingwood beyond Grundy, so he could easily be their #1 backup in time. Would he play if Grundy was injured? Could/would the Pies play both in the same side (he'd have to overtake Cox as fwd-ruck)?

At Carlton, he would be behind Kreuzer, but Krooz is getting older and isn't always fit. Lobbe and Phillips are not long-term answers for us either. Would fit very nicely as 'next in line ruck', with a much shorter queue for 1st ruck than at Collingwood.

Fire away.

Lynch was a latecomer to AFL, with a soccer background, so it was always going to take some time for him to develop.

His game has thoroughly improved in recent times, and is often listed as one of our best AFL-listed players in the VFL. Unfortunately he's only really got one string to his bow - he's not great as a forward target to the extent that Cox is and he's not great around the ground like Grundy.

Reflective of the fact that he's been impressing is that he's been an emergency for I think the past three games. He isn't this week because he copped a nasty head knock last week.

Yes, he's on the last year of his rookie contract. I would love to elevate him to the senior list, because after Grundy our ruck stocks are pretty thin. If Grundy was to ever (God forbid) not play, Lynch would get a call-up. Lynch, I think, acknowledges the situation but doesn't appear to be impatient to the level that Preuss was at North.

A couple of Carlton posters were at the recent Carl v Coll VFL game and were very impressed with Lynch. There's since been a little bit of chatter about him on our board. Can Collingwood (or other) supporters shed a little bit more light about his game, please.

I think he's in the last year of rookie status? Will Collingwood look to elevate him?

Will he want to stay at Collingwood given he is going to be stuck behind Grundy for a very long time? I can't see much ruck material at Collingwood beyond Grundy, so he could easily be their #1 backup in time. Would he play if Grundy was injured? Could/would the Pies play both in the same side (he'd have to overtake Cox as fwd-ruck)?

At Carlton, he would be behind Kreuzer, but Krooz is getting older and isn't always fit. Lobbe and Phillips are not long-term answers for us either. Would fit very nicely as 'next in line ruck', with a much shorter queue for 1st ruck than at Collingwood.

Fire away.
Not sure of the obsession carlton supporters have with Lynch based mainly on a couple of decent games, Your team has TDK on the list who is bigger and more athletic as well as being a better 'Footballer' around the ground and both players are similar age ?

Carlton should be looking for a Rukman thats 22/23 years and ready to roll as of next year if there are doubts on Kreuzer other wise just wait for TDK to develop as you have Lobb,Phillips,Kreuzer,Tdk on the list with 1 most likely gone that still leaves 3 ruckman which is fine

Not sure of the obsession carlton supporters have with Lynch based mainly on a couple of decent games, Your team has TDK on the list who is bigger and more athletic as well as being a better 'Footballer' around the ground and both players are similar age ?

Carlton should be looking for a Rukman thats 22/23 years and ready to roll as of next year if there are doubts on Kreuzer other wise just wait for TDK to develop as you have Lobb,Phillips,Kreuzer,Tdk on the list with 1 most likely gone that still leaves 3 ruckman which is fine

Not so much of an obsession, but genuinely intrigued by this 20 year olds qualities.
Anyone can look good in the odd game here or there, but having and applying genuine AFL-quality traits, is something different.

Phillips and Lobbe looked as though they've checked out already and a search for a younger ruck-man looks likely to be on the cards.
SOS roaming the ground at Collingwood a few weeks back was interesting also.

TDK may be more a forward/ruckman type, rather than a pure ruck-man.
Lynch simply had some traits that looked very appealing. Only a start point, but the start point is impressive.

Not so much of an obsession, but genuinely intrigued by this 20 year olds qualities.
Anyone can look good in the odd game here or there, but having and applying genuine AFL-quality traits, is something different.

Phillips and Lobbe looked as though they've checked out already and a search for a younger ruck-man looks likely to be on the cards.
SOS roaming the ground at Collingwood a few weeks back was interesting also.

TDK may be more a forward/ruckman type, rather than a pure ruck-man.
Lynch simply had some traits that looked very appealing. Only a start point, but the start point is impressive.
What do you define as a pure ruckman ??

Your not going to find a Gawn or Grundy around in some teams reserves that they will let go easily you will have to draft them or Free agent
The type you will get as pure ruckman in the VFL etc will be Preuss / Soldo / Lobb types

Guess you not seen much of him play then.

Be good this Season
I've seen more than most. Other than beating Swierzbiolek round 1 he's been average, Trengove, Phillips, Draper and Longer have all had the better of him (I know he got injured in that one but Longer was dominant) and I honestly don't see him making it.

I've seen more than most. Other than beating Swierzbiolek round 1 he's been average, Trengove, Phillips, Draper and Longer have all had the better of him (I know he got injured in that one but Longer was dominant) and I honestly don't see him making it.

I seen quite a bit of him this year and I felt he done well in the Ruck and love his Work Rate around the Ground and getting Touches and Good Kick for a 200cm's kid

Ok, including Longer is BS, he was injured in the first qtr that game. You’d expect him to be beaten by a seasoned AFL player in Trengrove, and he was around the ground, but he actually dominated the hitouts in that game. Phillips had a whopping 2 more hitouts but was beaten around the ground. Lynch took the chocolates on that one.

In reality he was beaten in two games, took honours in two and was injured at the start of one. He’s tracking reasonably well for a 20 year old. Still just a baby in ruck terms.

Ok, including Longer is BS, he was injured in the first qtr that game. You’d expect him to be beaten by a seasoned AFL player in Trengrove, and he was around the ground, but he actually dominated the hitouts in that game. Phillips had a whopping 2 more hitouts but was beaten around the ground. Lynch took the chocolates on that one.

In reality he was beaten in two games, took honours in two and was injured at the start of one. He’s tracking reasonably well for a 20 year old. Still just a baby in ruck terms.
Phillips spent probably 60% of the time in the ruck given he was splitting with Lobbe, the pair destroyed Lynch at the stoppage. Lynch far from took the chocolates in that one, to say so is classic bias. He looks average to me and I won't apologise for that, other than beating a first gamer in Swierzbiolek he hasn't impressed me at all in the 20-odd VFL games I've seen him in. He may make it, but to me he won't and I won't apologise for that.

Dont blame him for leaving given he’s never going to overtake Grundy just annoying developing him for 3 years just for him to get poached. Handy back up if he stays

Moneyball as he was 3rd round Rookie Draft and we turn him into a 2nd or 3rd round picm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phillips spent probably 60% of the time in the ruck given he was splitting with Lobbe, the pair destroyed Lynch at the stoppage. Lynch far from took the chocolates in that one, to say so is classic bias. He looks average to me and I won't apologise for that, other than beating a first gamer in Swierzbiolek he hasn't impressed me at all in the 20-odd VFL games I've seen him in. He may make it, but to me he won't and I won't apologise for that.

Fair Enough your thoughts but I and Apex36 disagree.

I seen Majority of his Games in the VFL

What do you define as a pure ruckman ??

Your not going to find a Gawn or Grundy around in some teams reserves that they will let go easily you will have to draft them or Free agent
The type you will get as pure ruckman in the VFL etc will be Preuss / Soldo / Lobb types
Witts is better than all those 3 and he was secured that way. You just have to watch them play and see if they have AFL traits. Lynch is 21. Noy sure how old Wittsy was when he moved to GC. 23/24??? Lynch has time.

He was 24 when traded

This is one trade GWS should have pursued at the time we were securing Treloar and Witts was on the move.
GWS didn't want him, they ended up picking players like Dawson Simpson and even 3 years later had to bring a 33yr old Mummy out of retirement to be their #1.
Not thread related but this is one GWS would do differently if they had their time again.

Boys got a huge tank which is getting better
Always does extras
Can take a grab
Can kick a goal

Won't be going anywhere and he's sisters signed

We're really happy with him

Nice to have in the locker if indeed Grundy goes for the first pick and extras

This is one trade GWS should have pursued at the time we were securing Treloar and Witts was on the move.
GWS didn't want him, they ended up picking players like Dawson Simpson and even 3 years later had to bring a 33yr old Mummy out of retirement to be their #1.
Not thread related but this is one GWS would do differently if they had their time again.

Would been Good for Collingwood as we would of Kept our Future 1st Round Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back