News Maxwell returns to Collingwood (see #60 for details)

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is it the Pies just make up s**t jobs? Thought there was a salary cap for off field jobs. What a waste and to make it worse, not all the focus is on the AFL club!

Sent from my warped mind
It's a soft cap in that clubs just get taxed for breaking it. Personally I'd much rather pay the damn tax and have the right people in the right roles verses the cost cutting dual roles or missing roles of recent seasons. Given Maxwell held a leadership development role at GWS and the storm I don't see it as a made up position either.

We used to lead the off-field arms race, but have fallen fell behind recently; for example 14 clubs have 4-5 assistant coaches or a director of coaching/senior assistant vs our 3 assistants. It's about time we again became an off-field powerhouse where it matters.

Last edited:

It's a soft cap in that clubs just get taxed for breaking it. Personally I'd much rather pay the damn tax and have the right people in the right roles verses the cost cutting dual roles or missing roles of recent seasons. Given Maxwell held a leadership development role at GWS and the storm I don't see it as a made up position either.

We used to lead the off-field arms race, but have fallen fell behind recently; for example 14 clubs have 4-5 assistant coaches or a director of coaching vs our 3 assistants. It's about time we again became an off-field powerhouse where it matters.

Agree. Eddie's War against and not paying any Tax has hurt the Club and Sent us Backwards

I predict Maxwell will one day be a very successful coach,
Hopefully at Collingwood.

Those who have been on BF for a long time may remember I made the same prediction about him being a Collingwood Captain in his first year at the club.....so I have the runs on the board......bow down before my awesome footy nouse....;);)

Maxwell was an outstanding captain and is a great leader of men. His journey from rookie list to Collingwood premiership captain, with all the obstacles in between, speaks volumes of the man.

Whilst I am also not a fan of the boys club mindset, I think Maxwell is the exception to the rule. And the only exception. Naturally, I would love him to be fully 100% involved with the core business - the players - obviously as senior coach. He would be more deserving of the role not to mention his external apprenticeship/exposure over the past 3 years (which I think should be longer) would be of benefit. But it's clear that Maxwell has a higher calling than that of an AFL senior coach. He is a far more rounded individual.

So it's a People and Culture gig, heh. Call me old school, but when I think of P&C I think of politically correct w***ers who can't fart in the real world. But that's just me. My real world definition of P&C, at a footy club at least, is sitting down and having a few quiet beers with the lads. But of course the world has changed.

So I think it's a timely PR exercise given the current malaise at the CFC. Fair enough - I get that. But in the end, Maxwell is a high quality bloke so let us hope that he is utilised wisely.

I just don't have such a high opinion of him a captain nor as a player and not sure what he would bring to the club.
No more 'boys/exclub' appointments.
You can't be serious! He's a Collingwood Premiership Captain. Saved us in the drawn GF and was a general in our premiership year and again in 2011. Some people are very hard to please. It would be great to have that footy brain back at the Club not least because quality people like Maxy don't grow on trees.

Maxwell was an outstanding captain and is a great leader of men. His journey from rookie list to Collingwood premiership captain, with all the obstacles in between, speaks volumes of the man.

Whilst I am also not a fan of the boys club mindset, I think Maxwell is the exception to the rule. And the only exception. Naturally, I would love him to be fully 100% involved with the core business - the players - obviously as senior coach. He would be more deserving of the role not to mention his external apprenticeship/exposure over the past 3 years (which I think should be longer) would be of benefit. But it's clear that Maxwell has a higher calling than that of an AFL senior coach. He is a far more rounded individual.

So it's a People and Culture gig, heh. Call me old school, but when I think of P&C I think of politically correct ******s who can't fart in the real world. But that's just me. My real world definition of P&C, at a footy club at least, is sitting down and having a few quiet beers with the lads. But of course the world has changed.

So I think it's a timely PR exercise given the current malaise at the CFC. Fair enough - I get that. But in the end, Maxwell is a high quality bloke so let us hope that he is utilised wisely.

Great post i hope N.Maxwell is back with us i can only see ++++

Best run team? Bunch of salary cap cheats actually.
A bit harsh, that was 2010 and they were stripped of 2 Premierships and 3 pre-season premierships.
Minor premiers 2011 and premiers in 2012.
Maxy retired in 2014 the year Storm lost in an elimination final.
2015 they lost in a Preliminary Final.
2016 they lost in the Grand Final.
2017 They're in the Grand Final again.

So it's a People and Culture gig, heh. Call me old school, but when I think of P&C I think of politically correct ******s who can't fart in the real world. But that's just me. My real world definition of P&C, at a footy club at least, is sitting down and having a few quiet beers with the lads. But of course the world has changed.

PR excercise? Your negativity has no limits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with this post.
Do you think this appointment will be of benefit to maxy if he does wish to make the transition to coaching? I would of thought an assistant role at a club would be a more traditional path to senior coaching.

You can't be serious! He's a Collingwood Premiership Captain. Saved us in the drawn GF and was a general in our premiership year and again in 2011. Some people are very hard to please. It would be great to have that footy brain back at the Club not least because quality people like Maxy don't grow on trees.

I think Maggie has been kidnapped by aliens.
Does anyone know where she lives who could check on her?

Look for desiccated foil, partially eaten cattle and/or various "probes"....

Agree with this post.
Do you think this appointment will be of benefit to maxy if he does wish to make the transition to coaching? I would of thought an assistant role at a club would be a more traditional path to senior coaching.
The role has been created to benefit the club. Maxy is the perfect person to make it a success.

Agree with this post.

I can't find the quote from Maxy but I am pretty sure he said he doesn't want to go down the coaching path.........I could be wrong.

Maxwell has always said he is not interested in coaching. He's aiming for administration roles at AFL level and this would be a great first step. I hope is that he has a role in developing future leaders; he'd be fantastic at this.
This is the best news from the Holden Centre in quite a long time.

I predict Maxwell will one day be a very successful coach,
Hopefully at Collingwood.

Those who have been on BF for a long time may remember I made the same prediction about him being a Collingwood Captain in his first year at the club.....so I have the runs on the board......bow down before my awesome footy nouse....;);)
Not sure he's a coaching type, more other roles, eventually leading to director of football or CEO.

Once you're in the group of these types the doors open.
Eg tom Harley.
Given a few years of practice in a secondary learning role he becomes CEO.

You think they have that to anyone off the street? Nope, the in club, those types move in those circles get those jobs.

Have to give maxwell credit, parlaying his good career (good player not great) into a leadership role, snared a flag, used it for all it's worth. Good luck to him. He's now in those circles.

This was one of the reasons Bucks kept his job, he was told someone would come into this role and be the players go to man, he will then report to and work with Bucks.

I'm usually against this stuff but very happy with the decision.

Think..... it can only be a good thing.

Just wish they would employ D.Swan in some role as well - welfare officer, motivator - not sure

Dietician :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back