Racing May Daily Thread - Melham’s Multi Madness

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sports turnover has become massive. Plenty of racing pro’s have turned to building models on sports to increase turnover. Lower percentage markets, AFL in particular lower betfair commission, increasing recreational money. Big AFL/NRL/cricket games have a serious impact on turnover.

If racing has committed to a day meeting for the cox plate, I’d almost guarantee we’re getting a night grand final.

On getting back to the track, I’ve heard the push is for owners returning early June, and members not far behind that. Falls in line with Vlandy’s pushing for crowds at the footy in July.

Just watched my first ever Swedish thoroughbred race. It was an experience! The cameraman missed the start and the caller was calling off the vision. Horses went out of the picture maybe 6 or 7 times then when they were going to the post the director crossed to a head on! Caller was tearing his hair out lol

Is the sole reason all these changes happening to hopefully get a crowd attending? Or to avoid clashing AFL finals?
Seems way too big an overreaction

Back your sporting code in

Turnover - the only thing that matters

Different game these days but I never saw that much of a crossover between racing and AFL wagering.

When you get to the brownlow and AFL GF etc you'd get young guys having a small play for an interest.

The older guys driving the racing turnover don't touch the footy.

I'd have a few interest bets on the GF myself but it wouldn't make a dent on what I would bet throughout the day on the races.

Can't imagine it would be great for MV on course, but irrelevant if people can't go anyway, with GF bbqs etc however I doubt it has much effect on overall wagering. People will watch the races at BBQs and bet on their accounts.

I'm guessing they have data that suggests otherwise

Did anyone else get a free bet from Sportsbet today? Supposedly they had problems with their site.

Yeah they did around 2pm this arvo - i failed to receive said bonus bets :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First Swedish race is up on the Tab website for replay if you want to see great comedy, in the 2nd race teh horse won by maybe 100 lengths!! not joking. Caller went off again at the cameraman for not showing the 3rd horse crossing the line.
Cameraman in Sweden is the equivalent of Hilton Donaldson calling a race. Takes the piss every time!

If you are smart enough to build profitable models then surely you are capable of bankroll management to bet on both.
They can, and do. But there’s only so many hours in a day, and high profile, high liquidity sports events with recreational money to take advantage of are much rarer than races.

Recreational turnover is the much bigger issue though, and racing is losing more and more of that to sports betting. Grand Final is obviously an extreme example, but it’s watched by a few million people. Many people who would normally watch the races are footy fans who make up those viewers, and the numbers show most people won’t bet on races they aren’t watching live.

The funny thing is for years sports betting was nothing more than a marketing tool for corporates to attract punters and didn’t actually make any money after fees, with racing paying all the bills. Racing definitely got complacent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back