Streaming Mayans MC - SOA Spin-off

Streaming Television

Will Mayans MC fail to live up to SOA or will it succeed?

• Total voters

The Stid

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins
Originally I was going to post this in the upcoming TV shows thread but I feel like this one probably needs it’s own thread because it could generate a bit of discussion seeing as though Sons Of Anarchy was such a big hit. At the moment the only idea of a release date is “Fall” which fits in with the usual september premiere of Each SOA season.

The latest teaser trailer / promo for Mayans MC (linked below) was released yesterday. For those that don’t know Mayans MC is a spin-off of Kurt Sutters hugely popular FX series “Sons Of Anarchy” focusing on Jackson “Jax” Teller and the Sons Of Anarchy Motorcycle Club based in California. Mayans MC picks up 2 years after the ending of SOA and centers around the Sons rivals turned allies Mayans Motorcycle Club. However, this series isn’t based on the same Mayans charter we all know from the SOA series, as explained below.

This is a quick copy/paste job of the premise from Wikipedia.

“Mayans MC takes place two-and-a-half years after the events of Sons of Anarchy and will focus on the struggles of Ezekiel "EZ" Reyes, a prospect in the Mayan MC charter on the California/Mexico border. EZ is the gifted son of a proud Latino family, whose American dream was snuffed out by cartel violence. Now, his need for vengeance drives him toward a life he never intended and can never escape”

So it’s a completely different Mayans charter to the one we saw on SOA who were based in Oakland, however Marcus Alverez (Emilio Rivera) still features on Mayans MC with his cousin “Bishop” (Michael Irby) being the president of the Santo Padre charter. From what I’ve heard the show will continue the storyline with the Galindo Cartel which was first seen in SOA season 4.

The cast is pretty solid, IMO. Not a lot of standouts just like SOA, A few you know and the rest you would recognise from smaller roles on TV or Film.
JD Pardo As Ezekiel “EZ” Reyes.
Edward James Olmos As Felipe Reyes
Clayton Cardenas As Angel Reyes
Jacqueline Obradors As Marisol Reyes
Michael Irby As Obispo “Bishop” Losa
Richard Cabral As Johnny “El Coco” Cruz
Antonio Jaramillo As Michael “Riz” Ariza
Sarah Bolger As Emily
Emilio Rivera As Marcus Alvarez
Tony Plana As Devante

John Ortiz was originally cast as the Santo Padre president but when they went back for re-shoots of the Pilot episode Michael Irby was cast as club president. He’s still listed in the cast credits and I’ve heard he was recast as a DEA agent or someone (IIRC).

B5271CA0-D60E-488C-8878-E99B50F56C36.jpeg

Linked is an article with a small write up about each character.
http://popculture.com/tv-shows/amp/2018/01/05/mayans-mc-official-cast-lineup/

It would be cool to see the characters of Romeo Parada (Danny Trejo) and Luis Torres (Benito Martinez) cameo on Mayans MC at some point. I could also see Sutter cast someone like George Lopez at some point through the series should the first season be successful much like he did with Joel McHale, Tom Arnold and David Hasselhoff.

I personally think this has potential. They’re keeping it fresh by introducing a new charter, rather than following on with the Oakland charter. But it’s smart to include Marcus Alvarez for some familiarity. Theirs rumours of other characters from the SOA showing up, obviously Chibs, Tig, Happy And Rat all surviving. Perhaps we could even see T.O, Quinn and Montez. I’m not sure we will see the full SOA charter on the screen as great as that would be. We’ll probably be more likely to just see a few of the guys. I’m hoping we do get some hint of an update on SAMCRO, though.

Last edited:
Might be worth trying, no way ti will be as good as SoA was.

I'm guessing the reason for the change of chapters is if they focused on the original Oakland chapter there is no way to do that without having SAMCRO in it heavily and that's all people would want to see.

The Stid

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins
SOA ran about 4 seasons too long and was pretty s**t by the end.

Hopefully Mayans go all out for a few seasons and leave it at that.

Yeah, I can see it only lasting a few seasons. With more cartel involvement and just the premise and other articles I’ve read it sounds like it could be very a bloody show with a high death count.

The Stid

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins
Confirmed premiere date is 4th September. So not too much longer now. The cast and writers are heading to San Diego Comic Con on the 22nd of this month, so I expect we’ll be seeing a full trailer then, if not before that.
993CEC14-631E-4DDA-B6EA-42955042494C.jpeg

The Stid

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins
Still can't believe they're doing this instead of a SoA prequel. But yeah I'll give it a crack.

Sutter is still doing a “First 9” Prequel. Said to be a mini series or a one off season of 8+ episodes. FX ordered Mayans first because they wanted some Latino content.

TBH, I’m actually quite excited for this. And it will still touch on/ feature other SOA characters not just Alvarez, going by Sutters comments he made during a recent panel at ATX. Sounds like they’re trying to make it a smooth transition or “patch over” as it’s being marketed on the shows social media pages.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Sutter is still doing a “First 9” Prequel. Said to be a mini series or a one off season of 8+ episodes. FX ordered Mayans first because they wanted some Latino content.

TBH, I’m actually quite excited for this. And it will still touch on/ feature other SOA characters not just Alvarez, going by Sutters comments he made during a recent panel at ATX. Sounds like they’re trying to make it a smooth transition or “patch over” as it’s being marketed on the shows social media pages.

So the Mayans take over from the SOA?

The Stid

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins
So the Mayans take over from the SOA?

Is your question regarding the patch over line?

AFAIK it’s a different chapter further south.

Correct. Down near the border, the president of the charter is Alvarez’s cousin, or atleast he was. John Ortiz was originally cast as the president and was described as Alvarez’s cousin but it now seems the character has been re-written and re-cast after FX wasn’t sold on the original pilot episode. Michael Irby is now credited as playing the Santo Padre charter president and I haven’t seen John Ortiz in any recent social media posts by the official Mayans pages or any of the cast or Sutter. A shame, I like Ortiz. But I’m not sure he would have brought the energy or intensity that we’re accustomed to with having Ron Perlman and then Charlie Hunnam as presidents of Sons, That you would need for this show. Ortiz looks too friendly.

Back