Streaming Mayans MC - SOA Spin-off

Streaming Television

Will Mayans MC fail to live up to SOA or will it succeed?

• Total voters
Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm
A bit unsure how/why we are supposed to support the rats in the club?

Also, struggling to get to know the characters. So the Jax role is EZ and his brother is Angel, but apart from hearing the name Coco once I don’t recall hearing seeing any development of anyone else and I don’t think they can just keep chucking Marcus Alvarez in every scene as he is not part of this chapter...don’t recall Edward James Olmos referred to as anything but “Pop” or “the butcher”...

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm
This crew has no charisma

At least with SOA (which IMO the first two Seasons were the best) the variety of characters and the strength of acting had the audience captured quickly

These guys are card board cut outs placed over the top of many SOA story arc blueprints

I do laugh at EZ and his attempted swagger...Jax was loose and laid back, whilst EZ looks like he’s walking around the gym with the chest puffed out. I must admit I dont know many Mexicans, but I feel like they overplay the accent.

Needs more Edward James Olmos

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Seen a few more eps, don't mind it actually. Could be better, not the best but still better than 75 percent of the s**t on these days. They've even got Brett Kirk as U.S Attorney.

Season final was pretty good lots of soa/Sam crow name drops as well as an appearance at the end that sets something big up

So interesting who it looks like is the killer of ez’s Mum
happy from the sons of anarchy

Other big take away was the bait and switch of who leaves the club
alvarez after all episode talking up his promise to jax keeping the Mayans and sons tight steps down from the Mayans to be Galindo’s number two

The Stid

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins
Definitely saved the best episode of the season until last. It was a great way to set up season 2 which has the potential to really be great. Hopefully we’ll see some more cameos next season from SAMCRO to even characters like Parada and Torres.

Personally really liked Sutter brining back Ray McKinnon as Lincoln Potter. He’s odd AF but completely owns the screen when he’s on. I’m glad they’ve left it open for him to return again next season.

The main negative for me this season is we’re still yet to learn more about the rest of the M.C. The first season was heavily focused on EZ, Angel and Felipe which we knew going in. But they’ve neglected the rest of the M.C members for the the Galindo Cartel and Adilita and the rebels. Still don’t really feel like we know any other patched members besides Coco, who (imo) is one of the best characters on the show. Looking forward to getting to know him more.

Overall, a solid first season. I expect season 2 to be great though, a lot of things were set up in the final episode to make it so. Fingers crossed.

djrossie16

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah I felt it really took off with Lincoln Potter. Wonderful actor McKinnon. Memorable in Deadwood too. I think the direction is of a better quality than the final couple of seasons of SOA with the storyline but not with the direction regarding utilizing the actors. It feels like the show lacks charismatic interesting characters. Angel is good and Coco is interesting tho.
I guess that's why Potter was so compelling when he came in. It was a fair Ace to play from Sutter. Fine finale hopefully they simplify the storyline a bit and get back to the MC itself next season. Happy Ending lol.

The Stid

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins
Yeah I felt it really took off with Lincoln Potter. Wonderful actor McKinnon. Memorable in Deadwood too. I think the direction is of a better quality than the final couple of seasons of SOA with the storyline but not with the direction regarding utilizing the actors. It feels like the show lacks charismatic interesting characters. Angel is good and Coco is interesting tho.
I guess that's why Potter was so compelling when he came in. It was a fair Ace to play from Sutter. Fine finale hopefully they simplify the storyline a bit and get back to the MC itself next season. Happy Ending lol.

I read an interesting article last night with sutter explaining how he hadn’t even planned on bringing back Potter. Apparently his other writers came into a meet and said we want to bring him back and Sutter said his a head just exploded (or something to that effect). Such a great character. It was the same with the character that killed Mrs Reyes, it wasn’t planned from the beginning to have that character be the one to have done it.

* for some reason the spoiler thing won’t work for me that’s why I’ve just used character rather than a name.

Last edited:
Yeah they haven’t done a good job at making you get attached to the Mayans like angel is good coco is easily the best I was also waiting for ez to bang his daughter

But other then Bishop/angel/coco none of them feel fleshed out other then Alvarez who obviously has had heaps more time.

Thought the actor playing Galindo did a good job as well

The Stid

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins
Yeah they haven’t done a good job at making you get attached to the Mayans like angel is good coco is easily the best I was also waiting for ez to bang his daughter

But other then Bishop/angel/coco none of them feel fleshed out other then Alvarez who obviously has had heaps more time.

Thought the actor playing Galindo did a good job as well

Agreed. I like all the non Mayans characters and the job the actors/actresses have done playing those parts. Was a bit disappointed with Devante’s death, mainly because I like Tony Plana. Felipe, Miguel, Emily and Adilita are all excellent characters. We’ll get to know Bishop a bit more next season apparently. So that’s something, I guess.

Agreed. I like all the non Mayans characters and the job the actors/actresses have done playing those parts. Was a bit disappointed with Devante’s death, mainly because I like Tony Plana. Felipe, Miguel, Emily and Adilita are all excellent characters. We’ll get to know Bishop a bit more next season apparently. So that’s something, I guess.
Feel like he probably only agreed to do one season that or it makes sense for Galindo to be more ruthless he allows his father figure to be killed

Yeah but from what I have seen so far I’ve enjoyed Bishop sure he ain’t clay but still enjoyable the other main guys at the table are boring.

Will be good to see where the potter arc goes

They also spent a bit of time on Felipe’s past I expect more to come from it next season

The Stid

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins
Feel like he probably only agreed to do one season that or it makes sense for Galindo to be more ruthless he allows his father figure to be killed

Yeah but from what I have seen so far I’ve enjoyed Bishop sure he ain’t clay but still enjoyable the other main guys at the table are boring.

Will be good to see where the potter arc goes

They also spent a bit of time on Felipe’s past I expect more to come from it next season

Agree about the other Mayans. Taza and Riz are two characters they could explore more. Both Raoul Trujillo and Antonio Jaramillo are two guys who are established actors and have been around for a while.

Back